Motorcycles vs. scooters

I plan to buy a motorcycle not long after arriving in Taiwan (probably new). One thing I noticed on my last trip to Taiwan is how there seems to be less motorcyles (compared to scooters) than when I was last living in Taiwan in 94-95.

Does anyone have an opinion on why scooters are better?

I personally like the control that gears provide. Also, I can’t get over the attitude toward scooters that has developed in the States- they are for the young, for girls, wimpy, etc.

I wrote about this here;
[A smooth ride

There’s more on the same subject here;
[Scooter riders, speak out!

Scooters have a floorboard so you can buy things and put them there; you can store raingear, a spare helmet, your tire pressure gauge, lock, etc. under the seat (especially in a 125-150 with more space there), and they’re easy to park (weighing less, as you often have to pick them up and slide them sideways to get them out of a jammed spot when jerks jam their bikes in next to yours). So overall, they’re just far more functional. You can get them with more hp than you need, so there’s no wimpiness there, and the better ones have good suspensions and disk brakes, too.

I agree than straddlers look better, but they’re really best for people who also have a car, for shopping. If you only have one vehicle, the scooter is just an all-around better choice for practicality.

[quote=“kentsuarez”]If you only have one vehicle, the scooter is just an all-around better choice for practicality.[/quote]Agreed. Make sure you get decent tyres (tires) though – you need all the grip you can get with those little narrow wheels.

Scooters are good for carrying stuff. Bikes are safer. Get a scoot and a bike. You can buy my scoot if you like, I’ll be selling it soon.

I can’t get over some of these foreigners who have the same attitude. They drive these beat-up propane tank carriers that look like they haven’t seen any decent matinence in years. No way, man, I ain’t be no girly man.

Myself, I’d rather be a girly man than look like a complete tool. If you’re really into motorcycling and know your shit, all the more power to you. But I’m confident enough in my manhood to admit that I don’t have the time/inclination/money to get myself involved in motorcycling, so I’ll stick to my 125cc scooter.

Scooters are great if you are not a lanky bean pole like me. My knees protrude about 4 feet infront of the scooter and I have trouble balancing. I have yet to wear a scooter that fits. If you live in the countryside and like long jaunts riding around, then a “proper” bike is probably the best option. Over long distances they are also more economical. However, if you are just going to use it for commuting, shopping and belting around the city then a scooter is probably the best option. Parking in Taipei is a nightmare if you own a chopper or normal bike.

I have the opposite problem, as I have very short legs; so I can’t ride anything but a 50-90cc scooter. Then they came out with a 125cc in the size of a 90, so I can ride it now, and it has enough oomph to scoot my fat ass up YMS even with a passenger.

I can’t get over some of these foreigners who have the same attitude. They drive these beat-up propane tank carriers that look like they haven’t seen any decent matinence in years. No way, man, I ain’t be no girly man.

Myself, I’d rather be a girly man than look like a complete tool. If you’re really into motorcycling and know your shit, all the more power to you. But I’m confident enough in my manhood to admit that I don’t have the time/inclination/money to get myself involved in motorcycling, so I’ll stick to my 125cc scooter.[/quote]It’s a fair point that image is not important and people should ride what’s really best for them. Another fair point that scooters are often underestimated by newbie foreigners who want a ‘real’ bike – I was one of them. But why do you think that riding a manual geared motorcycle requires more time and money than a scooter? I’d say they’re about the same in maintenance. Just because the working bits are covered with a load of plastic on a scooter doesn’t mean you can afford to ignore them. The chain on a motorbike should be regularly oiled, and cleaned fom time to time whereas belt drives seem to run ok for long periods without attention. On the other hand, scooters’ transmission oil should be changed every couple of thousand km in addition to the engine oil. Motorbikes only need one kind of oil change.

Money too – the initial cost of a manual geared bike is often a little higher, but after that the fuel and maintenance costs are about the same.

I recetly bought my first motorbike after spending a year on a 50cc scooter. I think if i lived in the city I would just stick with a scooter, but for the 30 minute commute into the city my bike is certainly preferable. In fact when I use the scooter for pottering around the village now, I wander how I ever rode it so far as it feels so unstable in comparison.

I have discovered one major problem with my bike though. I am starting to develop an interest in other bikes. The problem arises when I go for oil changes at my local shop. They have bikes like these: 2004 Aprilia RS250; 2004 BMW R 1200 C Classic; Harley Davidson FLSTF.

They irresponsibly (IMOHO) leave them around just to tempt me and they have started to give me dreams I could do with out. Now before I bought the motorbike, I thought they were essential daft things for nutcases, but now I can feel myself being pulled into the abyss. I’m already thinking about my next bike and which country would be the best place for being able to really ride one of larger variety. Not sure the translator will be too chuffed!

:rainbow: :rainbow:

BB…I share your pain.
Prior to moving here to Tainan, my last three bikes in so cali were HD’s.

I went to my 'scooter shop today and he is now selling 400cc Honda Shadows that look like HD Low Riders. At $405,000 I will be holding off a while before I get one…lol.

Motorbikes are fun and scooters are indispensible for carrying things.

[quote=“In another thread, hexuan”]Taiwanese bikes ? Load of rubbish. Only one that’s even half rideable is the FZ150… I’ve got a 13-year old one that will piss on any 150cc scooter or bike (4-stroke) new or old in terms of speed and handling. That’s because the huge sticker price went into designing a fast bike that can go round corners at speed.[/quote]Yes, well, FZ150s’ slow, heavy handling means that most scooters are a whole lot more fun in town at least. In the mountains, FZs will go round corners, yes, but pushing them through a set of corners is a workout for the upper body. And they’re not THAT fast. The FZ150 will not “piss on” a 135 or 150 2-stroke motorbike: it will be pissed on.

However, they are stable, reasonably comfortable 2-up (with decent saddles), safe (with decent tyres and brakes in good condition), and fun when going downhill.

How many kinds of scooters have you ridden, Hexuan? You can’t ride a BWS100 and say that’s not fun, within its limits. It’s instant grin material and also looks alright.

Scooters are usually more convenient. They are easier to park, you can carry a lot on them, maintenance is cheap, etc. If I were to buy a motorcycle, I would go bigger than a 150 cc, but the cost is not usually worth it. Personal preference I guess… :taz:

[quote=“butcher boy”] In fact when I use the scooter for pottering around the village now, I wander how I ever rode it so far as it feels so unstable in comparison.quote]

I really enjoy my scooters instability. I borrowed a friends motorcycle last week and was not happy with its constant urge to travel in a straight line.

The small wheels and low centre of gravity make scooters zippy in tight traffic.

But… scooters are not cool. Motorbikes are.

I think it comes down to whether or not it’s your sole transportation. I think we’ve got the best of both worlds, I’ve got the RZX, the spouse has a BWS 100 scooter, and we’ve got a truck. I ride the RZ a fair bit, and during the summer months the truck might sit for a week without being driven. (Note: I couldn’t care less about the cool factor on the BWS, I needed something to climb the rather steep hill into our community)

Joesax also has both a scooter and motorcycle, and if you hit the moutains on a regular basis then this is the ideal setup. It also keeps you on the road if one of your rides breaks down. But if you live smack in the middle of a major city and don’t get out much, there’s really not much point to owning a motorcycle.

If you live in the sticks, then I’d get both. Should be no problem to pick up both a respectable scooter and motorcycle for 40k or less. I believe we paid 48k (new) for the BWS, but they can be had used for 15k or less. It’s not fast, nor does it have the city feel zing of a regular scooter. What it does have is lot’s of low-end grunt, which is great for hill climbing. I wouldn’t buy one if you are over 6 feet tall though.

I’ve taken my wife’s BWS into the moutains once or twice, but it’s not the same. I feel like on the scooter it’s means to get where you are going, and on the motorcycle you enjoy the journey…

[quote=“MJB”]I believe we paid 48k (new) for the BWS, but they can be had used for 15k or less. It’s not fast, nor does it have the city feel zing of a regular scooter. [/quote]You don’t feel it’s quicker off the line than a 125 4-stroke? Top speed’s nothing special, but the one I rode felt zippy enough at city speeds.

I think you’d have to pay more like 20,000 for one in reasonable condition down here, at least from a dealer.

[quote=“mikeg”]I really enjoy my scooters instability. I borrowed a friends motorcycle last week and was not happy with its constant urge to travel in a straight line.

The small wheels and low centre of gravity make scooters zippy in tight traffic. [/quote]I like that zippiness. But to be fair, what you’re talking about with the motorcycle is pretty much unique to the FZs and probably FZRs. They are SO stable that if they had a cruise control fitted, you could probably have a look at the guide book, do some knitting or take a short nap and they would just carry on trundling along.

All other small motorbikes here have much lighter steering. Even my old Yamaha SR150 (gas-bottle-delivery-style-bike!) was much more pleasant in town.

Well whenever my trusty steed (FZR150) goes into the shop for tinkering. I get a loaner… its a tiny 50cc which is bags and bags of toy town fun, all my troubles float away to the tone of a 50kph max speed hum… though after 1 day I do miss the proper bike, maybe because I can coast on it, and take both hands off the steering thingy, and use both hands to re-adjust my wedgie… it’s sooo stable.

I’d recommend being loaded, and buying every form of private transport available. spoilt for choice then…

also steering an fzr isn’t heavy, I find that if I’m finding it a bit heavy it’s due to cheap old taiwanese tyres continually loosing pressure. but if you find it difficult it’ll make you stronger!!!
Good luck

[quote=“henrystudent”]Well whenever my trusty steed (FZR150) goes into the shop for tinkering. I get a loaner… its a tiny 50cc which is bags and bags of toy town fun, all my troubles float away to the tone of a 50kph max speed hum… [/quote]Exactly. Scooters are very fun in their own way. Should be able to push it to 60kph though.

[quote=“henrystudent”]… though after 1 day I do miss the proper bike, maybe because I can coast on it, and take both hands off the steering thingy, and use both hands to re-adjust my wedgie… it’s sooo stable.[/quote] :astonished: I was JOKING about the knitting etc. Really, I don’t feel there’s any time when you can afford to take both hands off the bars. Think about braking distances and then add the distance needed to get your hands back on the bars.

[quote=“henrystudent”]also steering an fzr isn’t heavy, I find that if I’m finding it a bit heavy it’s due to cheap old Taiwanese tyres continually losing pressure.[/quote]Maybe the FZRs have a smaller fork rake angle than the FZs.

Joesax, thanks for the notes about fork rake angle. That is obviously what is going on when a particular bike is more stable.

Henrystudent, don’t listen to Joesax. You keep doing what seems best about the steering thing.

By the way. My favorite shot in that AXN show that has all the accidents is when the guy is standing showing off riding then goes to sit down and grabs his front brake by mistake. Its quite spectacular.