Motorcycles vs. scooters

There’s not a lot that’s more dangerous when motorcycling than having your underpants bunched up in the crack of your arse – slows reaction time down dramatically. Much better to take care of such problems as soon as they occur.
Joesax, I’d like to see YOU adjust your underwear one-handed. Er… that didn’t come out quite right. :astonished:

I have two bikes and a scoot. The scoot is great for groceries and carrying drunk people , garbage, large appliances etc. Yes…they(scooters) are a lot of fun but they’re like drunk, fat girls you pick up at Carnegie’s --loads of fun but you don’t want your friends to see ya on one.

Thanks Bubba 2 Guns, I got a great laugh out of that image.

Only improvement on that would be bonking the drunk fat chick on the scooter.

[quote=“joesax”]Maybe the FZRs have a smaller fork rake angle than the FZs.[/quote]FZR and FZ share the same frame in all but the minor bracketry. The difference in steering feel is down to the clipons being above the top yoke on the FZ and below on the FZR. These bikes really benefit from some mods to the fork to increase both spring rate and damping, and decrease rake at the same time. My favorite mod was 50mm cut off the spring, a 70mm spacer on top to increase preload, and a 50/50 mix of fork oil and ATF to increase the damping rate. This also cuts the dive under braking quite a bit. Running the front tire at higher pressure (2 or 3psi increase) will help quicken the steering as well.

Hello all first post here. I’m pretty much a die hard biker. I buy all the magazines and constantly try to improve on my riding abilities. Even though I would probably be a joke on a race track. I was riding “big” bikes back in Canada for years before I came out here. I find it interesting that no one on this thread mentions the king of 150cc and under bikes in Taiwan. The NSR 150 :notworthy: . This bike isn’t even comparable to the FZR in anything other than sitting comfort. And I’m not saying that the NSR is uncomfortable per-say, but the FZR is probably more comfortable. Well, I just looked around for the specs on an FZR 150 on the internet and can’t find them. The NSR 150 though has multiple sites. Moto GP racing has a 150 division and they ride modified NSRs for the most part. You can get an SP engine kit from Thailand for about 15,000 n.t. which will give you an extra 50% horsepower. You can easily have a top speed of 180-200 km/hr if you wanted it. And if not you have more in-city torque to get you out of hairy situations. And as far as scooters go I’ll throw my vote in for the Yamaha Cygnus, that’s a pretty cool looking scoot. SYM has that crazy prototype looking scooter…but it’s slow.
Well this is my first post so don’t flame me too much. Happy to be here.

Welcome Mordeth. I sat on a NSR150 Thai import at my mechanic’s shop a while back. Didn’t even want to start it – like sitting on one of those mini-bikes.

Don’t worry, there are plenty of two-stroke fans here and the NSR has been covered extensively in other threads.

Welcome.

Moredeth wrote:[quote]And as far as scooters go I’ll throw my vote in for the Yamaha Cygnus, that’s a pretty cool looking.[/quote]

I am really jealous about the modifications made for the Cynus, but they are such a common scooter that I went with the SYM Shark. Totally comparible in speed, but one thing is for sure, you don’t see many Sharks on the road. Unfortunately, the mods do not exist and I had to make them all manually. Not to mention, cutting out pieces of the bike to fit additional pipes.

If you are into tricking out scoots, definately go with the Cygnus. If you are into making your scooter the fastest possible, get the run of the mill 125cc Duke. That’s right… The Duke is such a basic scoot that it is the easiest engine possible to modify, being able to go upwards of 140 km/h at top speed. A lot of bang for the buck.