Mountain biking in Taiwan

If you’re looking for information about mountain biking in Taiwan, you’ll want to look at a new website, the Formosan Fat Tire Association. You’ll find lots of great photos, some trails, and regular features on riding in Taiwan (and around Asia.)

Take a look at the site:
http://www.formosanfattire.com/

We’re interested in hearing from other avid off-road mountain bikers from around the island. If you know of some good off-road trails, please let us know! We’re based in Taipei, but are certainly willing to travel for good riding.

Also have a look at my web site

Cycling in Taiwan

Looked at your site, David, but you should know that in the case of your Wulai ride, you can continue all the way to Ilan where the road changes to a trail, but you need nerves and balls of steel to do it. And watch out for the wild pigs.

The Dongyan Shan toManyueyuan “Dong-Man” trail is one of my favorite hikes in the Fuxing area of the Northern Cross-Island Highway. Beginning at the park entrance, the trail follows a service road around the southern ridge of the mountain narrowing to a single track after a few kilometers. At this point the trail twists and turns through the forest descending 8 Km into the valley at Manyueyuan. I think it would also be possible to ride it, although you would definitely have to dismount in a few places.

Point noted. When I update the site I will add a word or two of warning.

How about MTB/XC trails in Tainan and/or it’s surroundings ?.. I’m moving there this month, and would like to be back on the saddle after a year’s absence, my belly is pledging for me to return as well…

Thanks,

I saw that Forumosan Fat Tyre websit five years ago when I arrived, but it had been archived. I thought it was abandoned. Are you up and adding to it again?

Hi,

I will be travelling in Taiwan on Sept 2013 and would like to do some organized or indepentend MTB tours (multiple days). Do you have some recommendations on tourguides or GPX tracks. I am a regular mountainbiker.

Thanks

Hi brothers and sisters,I will be touring Taichung on December 2013 and back to Taipei on 14 and 15 saturday ,I want to explore a descent flowy trail but I do not have any one to show me around.I do not mind travelling to your place,rent your bike and we can go for a short or long ie 2 or 3 hrs trail that is fun.I mtb quite frequent and can handle technical stuffs.I just want to let this be one of my bucket list ie Taiwan Taipei ride .Will any brothers or sisters help me.I can conversate in your native
language or dialect,mandarin ,English,teochew.

Please pm me if ok.

James from Singapore.

[quote=“gtfan”]Hi brothers and sisters,I will be touring Taichung on December 2013 and back to Taipei on 14 and 15 saturday ,I want to explore a descent flowy trail but I do not have any one to show me around.I do not mind travelling to your place,rent your bike and we can go for a short or long ie 2 or 3 hrs trail that is fun.I mtb quite frequent and can handle technical stuffs.I just want to let this be one of my bucket list ie Taiwan Taipei ride .Will any brothers or sisters help me.I can conversate in your native
language or dialect,Mandarin ,English,teochew.

Please pm me if ok.

James from Singapore.[/quote]

Hi James
If you’re still looking for information.
You can visit the facebook group below.
facebook.com/groups/taiwanoffroad/

It’s the largest community for mountain biking in Taiwan.
You’ll get most of the information you want there including trails, stores, shopping, gathering ect.
It’s English friendly and quite a few of the members are native English speakers too.

Aaron

Hello,
I will be traveling to Taiwan and am very interested in hitting some of your beautiful and awesome trails while I am there. Are there any places that I would be able to rent a high end mountain bike and take a tour?

the only store I know of is specialized in Neihu, you can rent something like epic or even demo.
but I suggest you contact the local riders here first, they’ll probably just borrow you one and more than happy to give you a tour of local trails.

Talk to Barking Deer in Tainan about riding the Nenggao trail. They probably know of others. Most of the good mountain biking in Taiwan is in the center and the south. The Junda forestry trail is another good one with vehicle support. In general, Taiwan isn’t so great for mountain biking because it is too steep and the vegetation is so dense. The forestry roads are not well maintained and tend to be up and backs.

Hello,
I currently am in Tainan and have been searching for a mountain bike rental shop that offers groups rides in the area but have not had any luck. The hotel I am staying in is cluelees!! Is anyone on this forum a mountain biker that may be able to pint me in the right direction? Also are there any weekend rides that anyone will be taking next weekend?