Mouse recommendations

The scroll wheel on my mouse isn’t working so well, and I’ve had the mouse for about four years now, so I figure it’s time for a new one. Any recommendations?

Actually, it’s not so simple. I’ve been to the Best Buy here in Canuckland twice already, and each mouse I brought home lasted all of two hours before I couldn’t stand it anymore. Here’s what I’ve found:

1. The right flank of the Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse slants toward the desk surface at too great of an angle where your ring and pinky finger grasp it. I realize I need a more vertical right side to a mouse because I actually pick the thing up slightly when winging across the two monitors I have in front of me.

2. The Logitech Cordless Laser Mouse (MX620) is steeper on the right flank, but the top surface of the unit south of the logo in the photo tapers off and becomes too narrow, so that there is less area for your palm to rest upon and you have less to grasp.

So I’m back to using my Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0, which is big and wide enough for me but lacks the nimble scroll wheel that I so desperately desire.

Would anyone happen to know of a new mouse out there similar to this one? Or would you have any other suggestions for me? Aside from the obvious one about me needing more in my life than an unhealthy fixation on computer mice as evidenced by my willingness to put this much time and effort into a post on an internet forum on this topic, I mean?

My Asus notebook came with an Asus branded version of these

Logitech MX™518 Gaming-Grade Optical Mouse

It’s excellent. Though I’m not that picky about mice, so long as they’re optical and have a scroll wheel.

I’m using a no-name brand (called Trust, apparently from “Netherlands”, but made in China of course).

It’s corded, and what I like about it is its big size that makes it fit my palm better; this leads to less finger fatigue to control the mouse. it’s got a large profile with the usual scroll wheel, 2 side buttons, and laser.

I prefer corded as the mice are much lighter in weight.

edit: it seems they have a website, and this looks like my mouse:

trust.com/products/product_d … item=14462

* 5 button mouse with laser sensor for extraordinary accuracy and enhanced surface tracking
* High precision laser sensor: works on almost all surfaces
* Ergonomic design with rubber coated edges for a firm grip
* Suitable for USB and PS/2

The best part? It costs a fraction of the other mice. I think I got it for about 12USD.

Because seriously, wtf is up with a 50-100USD mouse. Logitech and MS are really scamming us.

I do like laser mouses. They’re a few hundred NT more than their regular optical equivalents, but I definitely feel the difference. Plus I think most of them now have a DPI button on the top, which is very useful for switch the mouse sensitivity instantly.

i have been told that the dormouse saves energy by quickly going to sleep when you don’t need it. it’s cordless, too, and feels good in the hand. unless you have a fur allergy.

If you get a dormouse, get a DM-56. It’s a ballless, tailess and hairless mouse genetically engineered to be hypoallergenic. It’s also secretes a lubricant slime.

:bravo: Well put.

Have you tried this one? logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_ … 0&cl=ca,en
It’s possibly the most comfortable mouse I’ve ever grasped, but it’s a bit on the expensive side, so I never got around to getting one :frowning:
It has a very easy to move scroll wheel and it even has two different settings, one smooth and one clicky.
This one logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_ … 6&cl=ca,en might be a viable alternative as well, it seems similar to the ones you’ve tried, but it’s a bit “taller”.
Microsoft also just launched this one microsoft.com/hardware/mouse … px?pid=001
Oh, and HP just launched some new ones that looks ok engadget.com/2008/09/16/hp-g … keyboards/

I’m sorry to say this, but if you’ve used one of the “better” mice, you’ll never go back to the cheap crap, as it’s just not the same. I got a Logitech G5 at the moment and I have an MX1000 knocking about which is still a decent mouse if you can find one still for sale and I got a couple of Microsoft ones as well that I don’t really like apart from my notebook mouse. Yes, I have too many mice, sorry… :blush:

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I’ll just have to keep using the trial-and-error method!