Movie making

I have loads of pics and vids that i want to put together to make a nice little movie for my mom, xmas gift. I’ve been using movie maker, seems pretty good for the pics, but won’t accept the videos. Can anyone suggest a better way to get this done?

Imovie can do this for you. What programs and system are you working on?

Edit–forget I see that movie maker is a windows thingy. Hmmm, I guess you could use Avid DV. I use the professional versions and it works well with what you’re trying to do. I don’t know how it works or rather how similar it is to the systems I use, but if it is similar you’ll want to convert the videos into MPEG-2 or quicktime videos in order to import them. If you can use a Mac, then you can do all this on I Movie.

It could also have something to do with the codecs you’re trying to import. Here’s a page that may help you sort it out.

Depends on the file format and/or codecs used in the videos. What kind of files are they? Unusual that it won’t work, unless they’re Quicktime or AVCHD .mts files. New camera or older?

Some of the Pinnacle software is good for simple editing & doesn’t cost a ton. You can probably download 30-day trial versions of Avid DV & other “professional” programs like Adobe Premiere Pro, but those might be a bit complicated for your needs. Sony Vegas splits the difference, but is also very expensive unless you “find” a copy elsewhere online…

Depends on the file format and/or codecs used in the videos. What kind of files are they? Unusual that it won’t work, unless they’re Quicktime or AVCHD .mts files. New camera or older?

Some of the Pinnacle software is good for simple editing & doesn’t cost a ton. You can probably download 30-day trial versions of Avid DV & other “professional” programs like Adobe Premiere Pro, but those might be a bit complicated for your needs. Sony Vegas splits the difference, but is also very expensive unless you “find” a copy elsewhere online…[/quote]

No 30 day trials of Avid DV. It used to be a free software but they are no longer giving it out free. The link I posted has it for free. Don’t bother spending any money if you aren’t going to be editing a lot. Find a free software, but check your codecs first. That’s probably where the problem is.

Nama and sjhuz, thanks a lot. Appreciate the quick and helpful responses.