Movies you have to watch more than once to really GET it

I mentioned this movie to @superking the other day.

Took me one sitting and a YT tutorial to get it. Second time through was better. Crazy movie.

And this one:

Again once through followed by a YT explainer. Second Time through was really fun.

4 Likes

David Lynch’s L.A. trilogy. Pretty sure even Lynch doesn’t understand them completely.

3 Likes

All of Us Strangers….i completely misread the ending

Memento for me. Hell, 24 years later and people are still discussing/arguing about it online.

Hmm, will check out. I think I saw Memento when it came out and was like wtf, it just keeps restarting? :laughing:

Memento is a trip.

First movie that I thought of as well

Yes to Memento. A friend showed it to me in Prague. There are edits where they put it in the correct order, I heard.

Twelve Monkeys. Terry Gilliam is one of the most talented people in Hollywood. His cameo in Jupiter Ascending was eye-opening.

I guess we are supposed to name drop obscure directors, but Ive watched clips from The Shining, Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket, 2001, GoT and Westworld again and again.

I used to base entire corporate classes round movies. My Christmas lesson was Full Metal Jacket.

I think this GoT trailer is on a level with Olympia, Demoiselles DÁvignon, or any other work of art you care to name.

Matrix - Lots of little things to pick up on

Fight Club - Might miss some things in the first watch.

4 Likes

I don’t think “Inland Empire” can make sense even. It’s a story, inside a story, inside a story, where characters have the same names, similar lives, dream and have mental breakdown, all the while actors change randomly.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s the most nonlinear of the three, which is saying a lot.

It’s a great idea. The whole no memory thing is really well incorporated into the storytelling.

I’ve watched Mulholland Drive twice, I have no idea what’s going on still, and I’m not sure I particularly enjoyed it, but I am intrigued.

Some people treat it as an instruction manual, which I think is a pretty clear misunderstanding

Synecdoche New York comes to mind among others

1 Like

Sixth Sense.
I didn’t have to watch more than once to get it, but the second time on was really enjoyable.

I’ll add Everything Everywhere All At Once. I “got it” after the first watch, but it runs at such a frantic pace that a second viewing lets you catch many more enjoyable details (likely true with many movies)

Interstellar

3 Likes

Donnie Darko

2 Likes

Brazil

Groundhog Day

Watching it more than once is its own plot device.

3 Likes

And that’s the most straightforward film in the trilogy. :sweat_smile:

Memento