Moving down from private school to buxiban

Been here a year working at a private school. Long story short, it’s been very stressful and haven’t really had the experiences I had hoped for with coming to Taiwan. The job is much easier now that I know what I’m doing but the thought of working only 20 hours at a buxiban is extremely appealing. Then I could have time to relax, explore more and have a decent social life. I don’t mind downgrading my lifestyle to save money so that’s not a huge concern but of course sucks. I see time as money, especially when I’m abroad. And when I average out my hourly wage at my current gig, well it’s pretty dam low compared to 700 at buxibans. Although it would suck to miss the long breaks from work of course. And I run the risk of landing in a bat shit crazy buxiban with long after hours work .
Also thinking of bilingual public elementary schools(yes I have a teaching license) , I would work the same hours but the stress level would be lower which is a huge factor for me.
So maybe this isn’t much of a question but if anyone does have any thoughts, please share. Kind of stuck figuring out what to do, but at least I have choices.

I think a GOOD cram-school provides a better teaching environment than the average private school. In my brief experience working at a private middle school, I hated it (only contract in my dozen years teaching that I’ve ever broken early). If I had to work at one and roll the dice, I’d probably pick a cram-school over a private school… and just hope I land in an okay-to-good one, instead of one of those dysfunctional nightmares I read about in the blacklist thread.

1 Like

I just did the same. I’ve been teaching at private schools for almost ten years… I’ve decided to teach at the government schools FET. I’m not a fan of buxibans as I hate flashcards and games… But it’s easy. You’re right though, I know people who make more money working at two buxibans.
Vacations are nice, but regular government holidays are sufficient for me. We still get one month in the summer as well. I say go for it, you can always go back to private schools

Generally speaking your assigned staff member is important , if they take a disliking to you or you cause them to lose face , you are done. Additionally if you fully comprehend that the cram schools are businesses whose primary goal is to make money generally from short term not long term results you will have a more easy time. I managed one here before I generally tried to keep the money coming in and provide a good educational service. The boss was good to me but unfortunately was a serious gambling man and the school had the occasional visit from gangsters asking for their money.
Anyway my advice is to read the contract VERY carefully and don’t get charmed into accepting a bad contract. Some schools here are like cults , some are like cut throat businesses and yes there a few good ones.
Good Luck

2 Likes

If you can try the FET route, better do so before venturing into a cramschool.

EDIT: the fet programme is a known-known. The cram school route is full of many unknowns…most of those not positive.

1 Like

There’s no paid vacation in most buxiban gigs. Everybody else starts with buxiban and then moves onto FET or uni. Seems odd to do it the other way round.

If you really want to then aim for a top end buxiban like the British Council.

1 Like

Yah, taught the full gamut that Taiwan has on offer. The best places are the ones that let you teach and have a proper system to deal with troublemakers. Surprisingly, I felt the best places to grow as a teacher were all in cram schools. Teach at uni now, but greatly enjoyed the interaction found in cram schools with students, both kids and adults. Always have to be on your toes, but if you have a personal drive towards excellence, then could be a nice step up in overall life. Walk in, prep, teach, bell rings then free. :slight_smile:

Ya the buxibans do seem like a gamble. I’m just going to keep interviewing and see if one feels right. Been having a harder time reading people here during interviews. I’m usually pretty good at feeling out a situation and reading someone but it seems more difficult for me here. Anyways once I do more interviews I’m sure I’ll find a decent fit. I know public schools would likely be more satisfying professionally but I’m also really wanting more free time. What ever I choose, it won’t be a private school.

1 Like

This is the most important part of schools in Taiwan. My current school is a joke because their system is broken and they just want to make money and not piss off the parents.

1 Like

My public school gig was great in Zhongli but I wanted to live in Taipei.
Work started at 7:40 and ended at 15:40. Could leave school and go gym and be back at home by 5pm. After that, do whatever for 5 hours and sleep at 10pm and wake up at 6am. Rinse and repeat. Worked maybe 2 Saturdays a year but then you got the Monday off :slight_smile: Government rules.

2 Likes

Cram schools can often be a step up.

The trick is knowing the culture fluently (language not as important), be very well familiar with psychology especially when it.comes to.egos and broken families (this.is for dealing with your boss and coworkers more than the kids) and have confidence. i.have wirked in many a nightmare as well but knce I got a stronghold n the culture and ego, things changed right fast.

You would be wise being.free in your work rights. after being polite and.ignorant, the next buggest problem foreigners seem to have with working is the boss seemingly contrils your work visa. From.the get go, never let them think they hold the leash. Only cash gets to hold your leash, at least in their eyes.

8 hour work day sounds great. All the public school jobs in New Taipei are for 9 hours. TeachTaiwan has public elementary school openings in Zhongli now but they say the working hours are 8:00-4:30. But if you look up the schools online they are open the times that you listed. 30 extra minutes is not a big deal but it does add up. Wonder if the hours changed at the schools or if TeachTaiwan has it posted wrong.