Moving from Tainan to Taichung?

Hi folks,
I post this because I read a few times that Taichung sucks and Tainan is great.
I like Tainan, been there since mid 2015, however, we may plan to move to Taichung, cost of rent seems to be a bit cheaper, from what I checked, for the same price Taichung houses/apartments look better.

Both wife and me work from home, that’s why we are free to move anywhere, just thinking going to Taichung for a change after 4 years in Tainan. Don’t want to regret it though, any opinions?
Thanks.

Will probably take 3 days off to visit Taichung and see more. Was there for 1 day 4 years ago but cannot remember much.

My place is near the port & i am ok with it so far. I have been here 1 month

I think you’ll be fine if you find the right neighborhood that fits you.

Both places are kind of large and spread out and also have centrally-located interesting areas here and there.

Foreigner Community seems more close in Tainan maybe because fewer places to go. Both kind of have a laid-back feeling but Tainan more so.

https://youtu.be/xus4bNA69bY
https://youtu.be/WFgSByjSAoE
Taichung have a impressive skyline

Taichung has the most impressive coal power plant in the country. The weather is nice too.

2 Likes

Taichung feels a bit bigger. It’s better laid out as well with some very nice districts and many nice parks (with no equivalent in Taipei).
It’s not as interesting culturally as Tainan but horses for courses. I wouldn’t say it’s cheaper than Tainan though.
Air pollution is practically the same as Tainan .
If you have a car you can explore central Taiwan and up to Taipei sometimes .
Would be a nice move to try for a while probably.
There are some foreign hangouts but yes they are quite dispersed. There aren’t that many foreigners in Taichung .
If you tell me what kind of area you are looking for I can give you pointers.

Talk about setting the bar low! : D

Guy

1 Like

Thanks for the replies, and the useful videos.

Thanks, my wife has a friend there, so after a quick call we now know what districts are the most attractive. We’ll visit the city at the end of the month for 4 days before taking a decision :slight_smile: no rush anyway.

Which districts?

Guy

Mostly 西屯區 and 北屯區.

I don’t know about your lifestyle or neighborhood requirements, but I’d be trying to get as far east as comfortably possible. It may be less convenient, so you’ll have to evaluate your needs, but the traffic will be lighter, the air should be better, and you’ll be able to see the mountains & go hiking easier.

2 Likes

i dunno…
@shiadoa keeps recommending living around these environmens…few other apartments nearby, can catch the sunset. salty fresh air, and…

No. 1, Longchang Road, Longjing District, Taichung City, 434

Yeah, exactly my point.

Although I cannot compare living in Tainan, I can give my experience so far in Taichung. It is a city I traveled to for 10 years before the corporation I work for moved me here. I have seen it grow and change quite a bit (for the better) in that time…and now it is a very comfortable place to live.

I live in Xitun district close to Taichung City Hall. Many nice restaurants in this area ranging from any price-point and numerous cuisines. If you are looking for day-cares and schools, also several to choose from close by. Like you, my wife also works from home for a company abroad, and has many cafes to choose from for a lunch break, etc. Several parks in Taichung as well, along with other activities to keep kids busy (if needed). The MRT train should open next year, providing a more convenient trip to north areas like Beitun and then also going directly to the HSR station…

As others have said, at times the air isn’t great due to the surrounding mountains and the air not being able to flush out so frequently. That being said, I cycle several thousand of km’s per year and it really hasn’t bothered me. Maybe it will later in life, lol…

Traffic isn’t that bad except on Fridays returning into the city. I commute 40km away from Taichung and it is usually only heavy one day a week.

Best of luck in your decision!

2 Likes

On the plus side, though, I think it’s those very same mountains that dampen the effects of most of the typhoons we get.