Moving from Taipei to Taichung

Has anyone moved from Taipei to Taichung? Any regrets? Especially singletons! Can you share some comparisons and thoughts?

My accomodation in taichung costs 2/3 of what i used to pay in what’s now new taipei city

The other living costs?

Usd200 for rent. Ten for cable. Water is free. I don’t run air con or heat

How? LOL

Taichung is huge. You could be right in the middle of everything or far away from anything. You may want to narrow down your interests and search area.

After twelve years living in Taipei, I moved to Taichung last year November.
The rent for sure is cheaper, you get more space in a newer building for less money. That is for sure for the biggest upside. You need to organize transportation, there is no MRT system like in Taipei (the first MRT in Taichung is still under construction, I did not hear an opening date announcement, I think earliest end of 2019), buses are not driving that frequently like in Taipei, more like every twenty minutes, depending on the line. Most people drive cars or scooter and park pretty freestyle. You are not in the capital so there is less police enforcing traffic rules. Often you don’t find much sidewalks for pedestrians.

There a new area like qiqi, where the National Theater is located, with mainly new building, with rent more on the upper site. And areas with old buildings like the main station area.

When you move from Taipei to Taichung it feels like there is more space.

Far less local people speak English, Chinese skills are helpful for everyday life.

If you are into nightlife the options are more limited.

The weather is not that humid like in Taipei, where some people use dehumidifier, a device that removes excess moisture from the air. On the other hand the air quality sometimes good be better. One of the key influences seems to the Taichung coal power plant.

Copy from Wikipedia
The Taichung Power Plant is a coal-fired power plant in Longjing, Taichung, Taiwan. With an installed coal-fired generation capacity of 5,500 MW, it is the second largest coal-fired power station in the world, and also the world’s largest emitter of carbon dioxide with approximately 40 million tons annually.

Regarding to the air quality some people in Taichung have air purifiers. Especially when you have kids, it is worth considering.

From the feeling, things are moving slower here

2 Likes

Sounds like the simple leading first line of an Epic novel. And then the story begins.

1 Like

I lived in texas & taipei just using electric fans

1 Like

That’s seriously impressive.

1 Like

I’m seeing this for some reason…

My places in Taipei were cooler inside than outdoors

It wasn’t hard to sleep at night with the heat? I need my AC on full blast all year-round.

I worked my last job in temperatures that averaged > than 40°. Outside it got up to 44°. With a fan the temp. Is 10° cooler