Moving from US to Taiwan

In theory, you should be able to take the test in English…but it is a new regulation, dunno how far it goes in dentistry.

A year of practice will help improve your Taiwanese. LOL.

Thank you for the great information… I didn’t see it as being negative just factual! And I’m OK with that! I’ve heard the exact same reasons for buying here… so leaning on buying here

1 Like

Pretty sure your wife have some or more info since she was raised in Taiwan?

I second everyone regarding parking. And drivers here are crazy. Well, not really, if you came from California. lol.

My wife and I went to the Immigration dept today… looks like it’s not going to be quite as bad as I thought although, I was surprised to find that we have to get married again here because they don’t accept our marriage cert. from the states. I hope she says yes? Hahahaha

I find people here are quite friendly to be honest.

1bd apt rents for that amount of money is crazzzy, not even a parking spot.

do you know why they don’t accept it? Is it because the certificate is not authenticated by TECO, or due to other reasons?

Iirc, you need a proof of single status.

It has become so insane in San Francisco that the only people that can live there are the very rich techie folks or the welfare recipients because of housing set aside for them! The rest of us are so screwed!

I heard people are turning against tech companies because of this.

Icon gave good advice but if you want to see the real glory of Taiwan a car is almost a must. I drive my car on weekends and holidays, it’s great to escape the big city. Hit the mountains, hit the beach, it’s good to get out there.

1 Like

Bring me with you :innocent:

Get a scooter dude it will get you up to Yangmingshan :grin:

Scooters are for the young! Watching the drivers and scooter folks I think I’m going to buy a tank😂

1 Like

Very kind of you!

The person at immigration just said we had to be married again here… so, I said OK

My last trip here went to Kending loved it down there… being raised in Alaska I’ll definitely need to get to the mountains… I received some great advice and will just buy here appears to be too many headaches to ship

1 Like

Agreed. Scooters are the main killers of college students here, mainly freshmen. Some embassies forbid foreign students from driving scooters. There is a reason: it is very expensive to send the body back across the Pacific.

Please do not drive an scooter. I have heard Volvos are very reliable.

Taiwan motto: the more people you ask, the more different answers you will get. So do your homework. Check the websites. Go to AIT. Ask as many FOREIGN people as you can. Locals have no idea what pertains to foreign affairs and who can blame them. Once you have an idea on how to proceed, then do it. Do not leave this all to your wife. Seriously.

You are married to a Taiwanese and have many advantages over single folk. You get free language lessons, free business classes, special loans to open your own gig. Use these advantages.

So rent the car or buy here inexpensive. One of the beauties of living in Taiwan, especially in Taipei, is to say goodbye to those awful 2 to 3 hour commutes. If getting stuck in a 4 hour highway parking lot in the way down South on a holiday is fun, then be my guest. Love the HSR, then driving away in a rental after you get there. Simplify. Add enjoyment, not pain.

Case by case. Driving to the mountains between Hsinchu and Taoyuan for camping is a different story from driving South on Mother’s day.

1 Like

I recently went to Namtou and you can experience some mountains there.

Been a scooterer since freshman in college over 30 years ago. It’s not as bad as everyone thinks it is.
And about that Volvo…it’s good for jilted wives driving over cars with their cheating husbands inside.

1 Like