Moving, living, working, staying

hi,

I’m new to this forum and wanted to ask you guys some stuff about living in Taiwan…

I"m going to be graduating university next year and I’ve been finalizing my life plan… I’m a Chinese born Canadian who speaks limited Mandarin. I’ll have a three year BA in economics and my CSC (Canadian Securities Course) by the end of 2004. Some work experience in Human Resources and finance.

I have always wanted to live in Asia, specifically Taiwan after visiting in my teens. I am very much in to chinese culture; most of my friends are chinese, I listen to some chinese music and dress like a “hong kong FOB”.

Although I’m very excited, I’m also a little worried that I may not “make-it” in Taiwan. I have no family or friends living there. My main concern is how I’m going to make a living… I wouldn’t mind teaching english, but I would prefer a job in finance.

So basically I was wondering if you think it would be easy for me to get an english job doing office work with my background… Also any advice or concern I should look in to moving to a country with no contacts. Like how much money I should have saved to hold me over before I get a job or what international companies in Taiwan hire people with English only.

thanx.

You want to get a job speaking English in an office enviroment…in Taiwan? Not sure I understand that.

I’d highly recommend that, given your degree in econ., you get some work experience in Canada or the States first. Try to get two or three years of solid corporate experience. You’ll be in a much better position to get work in business in Taiwan if you want to, at that point.

I don’t mean to be condescending here, but remember that making the adjustment from student life to full-time office life, with all of its political b.s. and different demands on your time and energy, is tough enough. Add to that an adjustment to a largely foreign environment (I know you are CBC, but it will still be an adjustment, moving here), and you’re setting yourself up for a rough time.

Read the Teaching English in Taiwan forum for information on some of the difficulties faced by CBC and ABCs who want to teach English in Taiwan. In general, stupid as it seems, parents here demand a native speaker who, to them, looks like a native speaker, i.e. not Chinese.

If you insist on coming over after you finish your final year, then bring at least 2-3 months’ worth of living expenses (i.e. US$2,000 per monthX3 months=$6,000). That is a relatively safe amount.

I’m sure others will chime in. Also, the archives are full of people who have inquired about similar issues.

Good luck!

Thanx for the good advice. I’ll keep all thoughs things in mind.

A company that would hire someone with no real work experience and English only… tough odds there.

I’ve got to admit, though, that I’ve met more young (20’s-30’s) ABC/CBC’s who have non-language based jobs (not teaching, editing, tech writing, or journalism) than non-ABC/CBC’s. Marketing seems to be a popular area for ABC/CBC’s. Speaking the local language and family/friends’ connections (guanxi) surely contribute, though I’m sure they’ve also got degrees if not actual experience in their chosen fields. I think some (more likely women due to the mandatory military service for men) hire on as locals, not as foreigners, which means less paperwork and hassle for the local company.

These folks tend to run in difference circles than those in the language-based fields. To lump them all in one group (which I know never gives a true picture), they go to trendy, pricey restaurants and clubs, and sport suits, ties, and high-heel shoes (that is men, ties; women, high-heel shoes… of course!) - rather New Yorkish, all in all.

(Just to be fair, I can lump all short-term foreign English teachers together, noting that they slouch around in jeans and T-shirts and get drunk and pick up local chicks (only the guys, of course) every weekend. Okay, so don’t rag too much on my generalizations; I know they’re not accurate!)

Anyway, check out the Oriented happy hours when you get to Taiwan. That’s a good place to meet professional ABC/CBC’s.

Bring as much as you can save up i guess. Yes, $2000 per month is safe, I’d say VERY safe. That’s like 70,000 NT per month, with which you can live a very, very comfortable life. I’d say all you need is half that much or 1000 USD / 35,000 NT per month. You can live definitely live okay with that amount of money.

Simple breakdown for you:

Studio Rent per month: 8000 NT
Food per month: 12000 NT
Bills, Transportation, utilities, basic daily expenses (per month) 5000 NT
Extra money for fun, expensive food, partying, etc 10000 NT
Total per month: 35000 NT / 1000 USD

[quote=“aceman”][quote=“Tomas”]

(i.e. US$2,000 per monthX3 months=$6,000). That is a relatively safe amount.

[/quote]

Bring as much as you can save up I guess. Yes, $2000 per month is safe, I’d say VERY safe. That’s like 70,000 NT per month, with which you can live a very, very comfortable life. I’d say all you need is half that much or 1000 USD / 35,000 NT per month. You can live definitely live okay with that amount of money.

Simple breakdown for you:

Studio Rent per month: 8000 NT
Food per month: 12000 NT
Bills, Transportation, utilities, basic daily expenses (per month) 5000 NT
Extra money for fun, expensive food, partying, etc 10000 NT
Total per month: 35000 NT / 1000 USD[/quote]

Add a few start-up costs:

Deposit on apartment: 16,000 NT
Fees for health check and visa application: 3,000 NT
Inevitable start-up expenses like cleaning supplies, medicines, the odd item of clothing, a few bits of furniture: 5,000 NT
Sending a check to pay off debts (most people deal with this): $$$$

True, you can live like royalty for NT$70,000 per month. I suggested that amount as a three month start-up fund. You’ll need to leave a bit in reserve in the event that finding employment takes a long time, if you get into trouble at work and need to make a visa run, or are unemployed for a time.

I’d agree that once things are stable, basic living expenses can be limited to about NT40,000 per month for a single person. Of course, I have a very expensive betel nut habit that costs me an extra NT5,000 per month :wink: .

A person in this position wouldn’t need to set up an apartment before he has fulfilled the military service requirement would he?

What is the point of putting down the deposit when you are just going to be drafted anyway?

[quote=“Hartzell”]A person in this position wouldn’t need to set up an apartment before he has fulfilled the military service requirement would he?

What is the point of putting down the deposit when you are just going to be drafted anyway?[/quote]

I get the impression that the person asking this question is female (something about dressing the in the Hong Kong style). That might be one explanation.

[quote=“Tomas”][quote=“Hartzell”]A person in this position wouldn’t need to set up an apartment before he has fulfilled the military service requirement would he?

What is the point of putting down the deposit when you are just going to be drafted anyway?[/quote]

I get the impression that the person asking this question is female (something about dressing the in the Hong Kong style). That might be one explanation.[/quote]

So you’re saying that HK people dress like girls?
HAHAHA I might have to agree with you!