Moving to China

Oh yes. Chongqing and Wuhan are worse as well

Any place cooler in summer becomes horrific once the coal heaters start burning in winter.
Frankly, I don’t know of any place with a certain “civilisation” in China which is ok all year around if heat is not your thing.

Western companies do not demand lower quality. That is not how it works at all. China is able to offer a lower price because of scale, vertical integration with raw materials/components, decades of manufacturing experience, and sometimes yes cutting corners either environmentally or otherwise. They are losing that advantage though and must move into higher end, higher quality manufacturing. They have made that transition in many sectors already.

There is no advantage to the Chinese market other than scale if you’re selling domestically. But if you don’t have your business off the ground here than it won’t be easier to get started there.

4 Likes

It’s much easier for me to deal with freezing temperature than heat.

The glory days were glorious indeed. Total mayhem.

1 Like

Had some of the best nights out of my life in China.

2 Likes

Time for some stories. Spit some out.

1 Like

I don’t doubt it - but hearing a cheerful story about a great night out from our OP here would be a surprise both giant and pleasant.

3 Likes

Kunming has excellent weather year-round, or you can head to Dali or Lijiang if you like it colder. Pollution is a problem in Kunming in the winter, but really not bad by Chinese standards.

4 Likes

With your deep business knowledge, preternatural social skills, and generally impressive understanding of the world, I’m sure moving to a cooler climate in China is all you need to continue building on past successes. With your positive attitude, I’m positive nothing will dissuade you from reaching this goal. Please do keep us informed of your progress.

6 Likes

:rofl:

3 Likes

Hey, I’m a glass half polluted kind of guy.

7 Likes

one of my favorite places in China. i remeber the first hostel i stayed in there in 2003, a place called Camelia hotel.had one of the best breakfasts i had in China.

1 Like

maybe seek asylum in Sweden, Norway or Canada as a climate refugee :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I stayed before in Camelia hotel.

I don’t want to go to places like Dali or Yangshuo again. Would just make me sad. Not backpacker havens anymore

Dali Is all fancy boutique hotels these days. The big thing Is to rent convertible sports cars to ride around the lake. It’s a fancy playground for the wealthy

2 Likes

I was there for the fire festival in, um, 2004? Like Thai Songkran but with fireballs. Pretty crazy. Definitely some great lounge around and, um, chill spots back then. Another reason to not go back to China, sounds awful but was magical

Langmusi?

2 Likes

i wonder if Lesha’s cafe is still open… and if she still sells yak burgers.
the nature there is beautiful, but to he honest Langmusi, xiahe, zoige et al could benefit from some gentrification :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh yeah!

I liked that Xiahe was a bit of a time machine. All of western China was incredible, really. Even Lanzhou had some charm!

1 Like

Chinese disposable income skyrocketed after 2009, for around a decade and Chinese have a lot of spending power. All those cool spots in Western China that were catering to westerners, started to focus on the new moneyed domestic market.

And yeah, no more old ladies selling bags of weed from the mountains in Dali

1 Like

Find another place to go to.
That said…if you want to learn more woodworking skills and crafts China might be a very good place to go. They have whole towns still churning out craft items there and the quality of ceramics and natural wooden items such as made from bamboo is excellent. Not just excellent but the best in the world. This and the tea industry in places sich as Yunnan are the only reason I want to visit China at all right now.
Now they could end up making you work in a sweathouse to learn that…
Maybe you could try it to get over that itch and learn a few kew things but I dont reckon you will stick around there. Plus the government is anti gay you know that.

2 Likes