Moving to Google Mail (gmail.com) from XYZ

Ouch! Ironman, that sucks.

Here’s one for those with the skills.
I’ve got YEARS of correspondence stuck in Yahoo! Mail, and I’ve had it up to here with losing mail. So, how–other than downloading 10,000 individual messages, or paying for a Yahoo account that will offer the features I get from gmail for free–can I download all that correspondence? I just want to burn it so I know it’ll not be lost, again.

:help:

[quote=“Jaboney”]I’ve got YEARS of correspondence stuck in Yahoo! Mail, and I’ve had it up to here with losing mail. So, how–other than downloading 10,000 individual messages, or paying for a Yahoo account that will offer the features I get from gmail for free–can I download all that correspondence? I just want to burn it so I know it’ll not be lost, again.

:help:[/quote]
You seem to have ruled out the easiest option: If you sign up for their premium service ($20) you can download to Gmail/PC client all your mail via POP.

Alternatively, you could try this: yosucker.sourceforge.net/
This is an app which will get all your mail by automatically requesting the relevant webpages - however, I’m not sure how reliable or easy to use it is.

The other option is to wait: Yahoo have been trialling a new webmail interface for a couple of months now - they claim it’s better than Gmail’s … when that becomes available for everyone it might allow POP download …

I am suprised to see that nobody is worried about the privacy issues that an gmail account implies, except Ironman’s mom maybe. They state in their license agreement, that they open up your emails, read through them, and then create a profile for you, so they can send you the right advertisements.

Transfering that into the snail mail world, your mailman would open up all your letters, see what your hobbies are, and then put a flyer selling baseball caps into your mailbox. Kind of strange, isn’t it? Or is anybody using email encryption with gmail on a regular basis?

Anyway, I have a nice freemail account, it offers IMAP, POP, so I can download all my mails onto my computer, and don’t have to worry about webspace. Although, to get good telephone rate (VoIP-to-landline) from that provider, I signed up for a 5 Euro monthly fee , and unlimited webspace. Works out well for me.

I think it is okay. How could they afford to let a privacy issue slip out? They would be deserted in droves.

I think it is okay. How could they afford to let a privacy issue slip out? They would be deserted in droves.[/quote]

I just see it more as a first step in the wrong direction. Who knows what they come up with next time. I think in their original license agreement, they even reserved the right to give information to others. But that caused too much trouble, so they dropped that.

Just having somebody else opening my mail, even if it is just some stupid computer program, sounds revolting to me. So I usually don’t even sent emails to gmail accounts.

I hear what you are saying, but my understanding is that the US govt (and probably others) scans all internet traffic including emails anyway. Who knows to what extent that is going on. Who knows what is done with the statistics collected that are not security related.

The other thing too about ‘big brother’ is volume. To make some real sense out most mail would require a human to read it. Considering just how much mail is floating around, to be able to do that would require millions, probably billions of people to be involved in monitoring it. I believe the sniffers have got enough on their plate looking at mail with terrorism keywords etc to be able to have any resource to look into anyone’s personal mail.

Where does it end tho? I am sure companies collect information about us all the time and sell it: Credit Card companies, Supermarkets, Bookstores, Food places you name it. It’s all about targeted advertising, and as long as I am treated as a number rather than a human while they collect it, I don’t really care.(and that is one of the odd occasions I prefer to be a nobody)
It used to bother me, but the more I think about it, gmail or not, big brother is collecting information about you no matter what you do. I believe Google is more focused on targeting realtime advertisements than anything else.

I actually find it quite hilarious to see the googles ads on the right of my inbox based on the content. It really is funny at times. At least I can see some purpose in them scanning the mail…I am sure MS and yahoo etc are doing it too, they’re probably not as open about it.

I hear what you are saying, but my understanding is that the US govt (and probably others) scans all internet traffic including emails anyway. Who knows to what extent that is going on. Who knows what is done with the statistics collected that are not security related.
[/quote]

You probably won’t be able to avoid that governments secretly set up their profiles. The Stasi did that in eastern germany, and had everybody else spying on everybody, what a sad situation. But you can avoid companies setting up profiles, and it does not take much effort. Paying cash, don’t sighn up for the BnQ card etc. I just keep thinking of movies such as “Minority Report”, and I just see us heading straight into this. As for email communication, I am actually more and more considering to use some encryption software for my emails such as GnuPG, PGP etc. Those are fairly safe, but it is too sad that the days are over, where just licking a piece of paper could give you so much privacy.

[quote=“Truant”]
The other thing too about ‘big brother’ is volume. To make some real sense out most mail would require a human to read it. Considering just how much mail is floating around, to be able to do that would require millions, probably billions of people to be involved in monitoring it. I believe the sniffers have got enough on their plate looking at mail with terrorism keywords etc to be able to have any resource to look into anyone’s personal mail. [/quote]

As for volume and not having enough resources. Technology is advancing pretty fast these days, and it won’t take long when resources are available to scan all the data they want. Programs are getting smarter, and eventually sense can be made out of information automatically. Or maybe also wrongfully. At the moment it is more a matter of changing peoples habits and opinions about privacy related issues. If people start excepting such data collection schemes, it will be only a small step in the future. And it will be easy to connect a name to information. As for me, I think I am already on some black list for flying to the US. Each time I fly to the US, I get “VIP” treatment at the security checkpoint. Once, I was checked twice, the second time was before I entered the airplane. Coincidence? I doubt it!

[quote=“Truant”]
I am sure MS and yahoo etc are doing it too, they’re probably not as open about it.[/quote]

That is why I am not using a email service based in the U.S. I prefer my German service, where they still have more strict privacy laws. Who know for how long though. :s

You do look like a dodgy bastard.

You do look like a dodgy bastard.[/quote]

I guess I should not take that violine case with me when I am traveling. And maybe a shave would do me good as well.

Any spam filter does that.
ALL your emails are already read by a “stupid computer program”, regardless of what service you use.
Don’t you feel better now? :wink:

P.S. Want some gmail invites? I have 100.

I guess I should not take that violine case with me when I am traveling. And maybe a shave would do me good as well.[/quote]
The alarm bells probably go off because you are not using any free web based email :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyone who’s concerned about privacy to that extent really shouldn’t be using ANY webmail. They all automatically scan your email and keep general statistics about usage - and of course allow other people to read it when legally required to.

The only difference with gmail is the adverts displayed to you on your email webpage - given that that is a service provided just to me, it doesn’t bother me. Their TOS say:

I completely understand people not being comfortable using Gmail (or Yahoo or MS etc.) but it seems a bit hardcore not to even send email to a gmail account. Do you also not send email to anyone with a 3rd-party spam filter?

Any spam filter does that.
ALL your emails are already read by a “stupid computer program”, regardless of what service you use.
Don’t you feel better now? :wink:

P.S. Want some gmail invites? I have 100.[/quote]

Well, removing SPAM is a completely different thing than collecting information about your customer to set up a profile about his or her consumption habits. I would love it if my mailman would remove all the SPAM I find every day in my mailbox, or even better, put it in a “SPAM” mailbox which has a flush button. :smiling_imp: But of course, only the obvious ones, I don’t want anybody to open up the envelopes.

[quote=“david”]
Anyone who’s concerned about privacy to that extent really shouldn’t be using ANY webmail. They all automatically scan your email and keep general statistics about usage - and of course allow other people to read it when legally required to.[/quote]

That’s why I consider encrypting more emails, and why I am using an email provider in a country that has some form of privacy protection. I am on the standpoint, that an email should be as private as your regular, cologne-covered love letter you send occationally to your girlfriend. And laws that allow governmental agencies to snoop in their citizens emails are just against any concept of freedom. But if we get to deep into this, we might to have to move this thread into the IP forum.

I actually know someone, who was trying to send comments such as “gmail sucks” to a gmail account. Those were edited out when the receiver opened the mail. I am not sure if this “function” still exists, but it certainly did not make me want to be invited.

Oh, if I have to send an email to a gmail account, I try to keep it as short as possible, and try not to reveil any personal information, but I always send it with doubts in my mind.

Well, if you have a membership card for a supermarket, for example, THEY already know what you eat, what you drink, what kind of music you’re listening to, what shoe size you wear, what toothpaste you use (and how often you brush your teeth, on average) and so on.

Your ISP keeps logs of your web-surfing and any other on-line activity.

THEY’ve been watching YOU for years. It doesn’t feel so bad, does it? :wink:

Oh, GMail does that for you. Come to GMail. Cooome tooo Gee-Maaaiiilllll…

Well, if you have a membership card for a supermarket, for example, THEY already know what you eat, what you drink, what kind of music you’re listening to, what shoe size you wear, what toothpaste you use (and how often you brush your teeth, on average) and so on.

Your ISP keeps logs of your web-surfing and any other on-line activity.

THEY’ve been watching YOU for years. It doesn’t feel so bad, does it? :wink:[/quote]

I must admit, I used to have one of those cards in the U.S., but only because I did not think about it too much. Now in Taiwan, I don’t have one, and I really don’t want one. I also pay cash. Seems to be the safest nowadays. My US debit card got abused already once, and caused me a lot of trouble.

Of course, I do know about the ISP’s. Are they actually required to do so in Taiwan as well. Not sure about the laws. In Europe, they are trying to enforce such a freedom limiting law, but they are getting lots of protests. I don’t like it, but I guess are not many options, maybe moving into a different country. That reminds me of another movie, “Demolition Man”. Another horror scenario, that we are heading towards.

[quote=“Andre”]

Oh, GMail does that for you. Come to GMail. Cooome tooo Gee-Maaaiiilllll…[/quote]

I am quite happy with the SPAM filter of my email service. It is doing a good job, plus I have the convenience of IMAP and POP.

Not doubting your superior veracity, but that smacks of urban legend. How sure are you of the accuracy of that incident?

Regardless, I agree with your “Minority Report” sentiment. Not sure what to do about it other than stay offline and pay cash for everything which isn’t very practical.

I’m trying to evaluate different email systems now as I want to switch in the next couple of months. Anyone who has a Gmail invite to share, please do.

pm me your email address.

Gmail chat. It seems it is defaulting to not available and you can’t easily chat with others.

If you want to chat you need to go to your name on the left column and click available.