Moving to Japan

Back to Japan, house in Tokyo (US$300-500k for new Single family)is less than Taipei and that is for Single family home https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGbC5j4pG9w

and life working (as only black guy in tech company, good story) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eK-9JehqOg

1 Like

If Japan is such a good place to work why is suicide rate so high?

1 Like

Wait who has suggested this? I think there is a broad consensus that Japan is NOT a “good place to work.”

Guy

1 Like

Not a great place to work if you are fated to be a salaryman in the lower rungs of company hell for the rest of your life toiling in servitude to a feudal boss in an office 24/7 and having to pretend his jokes are funny at the izakaya until your merciful retirement decades later. But that doesn’t really apply to expats there by and large…

1 Like

Suicide rate is about the same for Japan and the US (respectively 14.3 and 13.7 suicides per 100k people in 2016). Not sure you’ll be able to convince many expats in either countries to quit their job and move to another country using that argument.

Japan is denying entry to foreign RESIDENTS using corona as excuse:

Japan is the only Group of Seven member denying entry to long-term and permanent residents

7 Likes

Wow. So if a foreign resident with a Japanese wife and kid tries to come back after being stuck in the USA, he can’t? That’s pretty nuts… and wrong.

4 Likes

The subway is packed in Osaka and Tokyo. Plenty of people have not stopped working. But school has been cancelled for quite a while.

That’s because some permanent residents had been flying in and out between their home country and Japan, bypassing travel restrictions because they felt they were entitled. So they just stopped all non-Japanese from entry to put a stop to that abuse of process.

I’m not flying anywhere for a while, I guess. Not that I want to. No China Virus where I’m at.

That’s where I am going to ensure that we get dual citizenship in Taiwan. So that people here are no longer forever PR.

3 Likes

Wow, what a clusterfuck. :astonished:

1 Like

Gee, but even the local spouses, that´s harsh.

And considering the mess their quarantine measures are, well, no one should go in either.

1 Like

White Collar foreigner here, did close to 5 years in Taiwan.

All valid points, Taiwan probably isn’t where you’re going to grow your career if you’ve got a good grounding back home, but it’s all relative to what you’re after.

I moved to Taiwan after 3 or so years of experience in my field back home (In Australia) and I was looking for experience overseas and the opportunity to work in a different environment. I knew money wise it would be a step back but I wanted adventure and challenge, doing the daily grind back in Melbourne just seemed a bit placid.

I initially came over on a secondment for a year from my Accounting firm back home. After that initial one year finished, I wasn’t ready to go home just yet, eventually, I lucked out and found a great gig at a MNC in Taipei, and it was sufficient for me, I did make 100k+ monthly, but worked insane hours to get that.

As a person, I grew up a lot, going from my city back home to Taipei and initially not knowing much Chinese when I arrived lead to many interesting moments in my first year, eventually I improved a lot and built up a great group of friends in Taipei that made my time there completely unforgettable.

Career-wise, I ended up leading teams and working on some really interesting and challenging projects, did secondments to other offices in other parts of Asia, Europe and Middle East and got some exposure that I wouldn’t have gotten back home.

My biggest fear was when returning home, nobody would consider my Taiwan experience to be valid or comparable to Australian experience. Luckily, that wasn’t the case for me and I managed to land a pretty well paid gig pretty much right after my return home. I do know many others who had it much tougher finding something worthwhile after returning home from a long stint in Taiwan.

All in all, I’m so glad I went to Taiwan in my early 20s, I wouldn’t have changed a thing and it was a great 5 years that I look back with a lot of fondness.

Now in regards to Japan. I did end up working in Tokyo for a 3 month stint (On a project at the Tokyo office of my old company) and found it rather brutal in terms of work hours and stress, I’d often see middle aged guys in suits leaving their offices at midnight and it just seemed totally standard for them. I have a couple of close friends that are Japanese (One in Okinawa, one in Osaka) and both of them were reluctant to recommend working in Japan for the long term. Maybe it’s good to get a year or two of experience but long-term, perhaps it won’t be furthering your career too much and in return you’ll be giving up all your energy on a draining job.

4 Likes

Glad to hear Okinawa is OK. I’d love to shop and hit the beaches!

Of co, the cruise plans are gone… :sob:

Sigh

I once moved from Taiwan to Japan before back in 2011. The mistakes I made were:

1. The contract I signed had a monthly salary that was 30,000 yen below the minimum.
  2. I should have moved directly to Japan rather than go through Canada because it’s cheaper.

Japan is not a bed of roses with regards to the lack of benefits, and saving money, because the salary there on average for teach EFL is pretty much the same as here in Taiwan. The difference is Japan is a hell of a lot more expensive than Taiwan to the point that you can easily get ripped off.

But it’s a more dynamic place to live with more things to do in the city!

I heard that but give us examples ?

Great foreign restaurants everywhere
more dynamic range of music venues, there’s clubs for all music tastes that feel authentic
personally i like the food way better
Izakayas late night
in cities more working professionals in different areas
better music taste, big acts go thru there all the time
more art

obviously a much bigger population has a lot to do with it. Tokyos population is roughly the same as Taiwan’s. I’d be quite happy to live in Japan again though.

2 Likes

Yeah live music scene , of all types, sucks in Taiwan.