Moving to Ningbo

Reactions from friends:

Taiwanese: ‘at least you’ll be able to visit Taiwan more easily’. (Currently in England)
Brits: ‘Are you, um, feeling OK? Do you, um, think you need to see somebody?’
Brit teachers, home and away: 'Bloody ‘ell, I don’t know how you can be arsed.’
Chinese: ‘Ah, Ningbo people are very elegant and they have many famous seafood dishes’.

Anyone know the place? Bought a China guidebook, but it wasn’t in it.

Chiang Kai Shek was from there.

Nottingham U describes it as a city with 7000 years of culture. That’s 2000 over the Chinese average. :thumbsup:

Seriously, never been. Hangzhou is the closest I’ve gotten. Wiki doesn’t make it sound too appealing with the chemical industry well positioned there.

I used to go to Ningbo all the time on business. It is actually one of the nicest cities in China. Not to big and not too small, with a fair amount of foreigners. It is a big clothing center.

Yeah, I’ve heard that from a few people, although there seems to be a cluster of ‘cancer villages’ in the province around it.

Looking forward to it, actually. Near to pals in Shanghai and of course TAIPEI. :rainbow:

Cheapest way back to Taipei is high speed train to Xiamen, ferry to Jinmen, and flight to Taipei.

Sounds like a ballache!

Sounds like a ballache![/quote]

Depends if you add a day or two in Kinmen. And how much of a budget you have.

NT1500-2000 to fly to Kinmen from Taipei.
Ferry NT800
Train to Shanghai NT1200.

Aesthetically the centre of the town is quite nice for a Chinese city. A few new sparkling malls and parks. The perks would be that its close to beaches and mountains, and a two hour drive to Shanghai.

If a second tier Chinese city is what you’re after, you could do alot worse.

Sounds like a ballache![/quote]

Depends if you add a day or two in Kinmen (Jinmen). And how much of a budget you have.[/quote]

This probably sounds weird to guy like you but although I love visiting new places, I HATE travelling. :laughing: my first reaction was a big, prejudiced nose-wrinkle. I’m quite sure I’ll be just like I was in Taipei, only leaving XinYi a couple of times a year to visit the countryside (Hsintien). I lived in suburban Bangkok for two years and never went near the river. I just hate being in cars and buses, etc.

Because of this, I tend to go for the ‘I don’t care how much it costs as long it gets me there NOW’ method. Childish, yes, bratty, yes. Maybe I’ll take your advice and stop being such a lazy child and have some fun. :laughing:

Thanks crimpster. Sounds good!

Hah, well hopefully Ningbo will be livable enough. It sounds like it might not be bad. If it was good a few years ago it should be even better now. Massive infrastructure improvements all over China these past five years. Lots of even small provincial cities and towns loads better than anything in Taiwan (at least for sidewalks and public facilities).

You really need to be careful with food and water though if you plan to live there for a while.

Jinmen sounds great though.

Remember, while in China:

[quote=“louisfriend”]Remember, while in China:

[/quote]

Thread’s dead, honey, thread’s dead.

[quote=“Ermintrude”]
Brit teachers, home and away: 'Bloody ‘ell, I don’t know how you can be arsed.’[/quote]

Yeah, but probably from the point of view that: you do realise you’ll now have to explain that place to a bunch of pricks when you come home again?

I’ll never grow sick of hearing people say: So what is Japan like?

Ugh. Now you’ll have to one day explain what China is like to people who don’t care but still feel compelled to ask you about it.

It’s like the worst thing about studying psychology is when you tell people about it they all say: If you want to study someone you should study (insert either themselves, their partner or their mother)!!!
Already I am getting the new one for brain imaging… You trying to find out if you’ve got a brain?

SO yeah, go for the experience, return for the tawdry banter. :smiley:

I lived in Bangkok when I was a young 'un. Everyone tells me about their holiday in Thailand, usually about how they liked it a bit but not all the bits that were different from Britain.

Did a little of the psychology study at skool, when I was a calf. It’s the ‘I’m crazy, I am’ female David Brent characters you need to look out for. They do fun runs for charity, wearing pink angel wings. If there’s actually anyone who is actually mentally ill in their midst, they will bully the shit out of that person, though.

I’m sure no-one’s that interested but it seemed polite to update this thread as you took the time to answer my questions.

It’s green, clean, quiet, pretty nice, so far.

Apart from the residency medical. They put an electrode on my left breast for an ECG check. There’s really no way to dress that up as something nice.

Took a long ride here through Shanghaishire and Zhejiang which were largely composed of farms and factories and smelt of burning tyres. And I had a wee on the longest bridge in the world. Oh yes.

In a five star hotel. A five star hotel where the sockets don’t work, there is no taxi or laundry service and no-one speaks much English (and had a policy of hiding from me until word got round I could speak Chinese). I’m kind of camping out in a marble and mirrors very luxury number 1 residence. :laughing:

It’s an industrial area mostly, Shanghai and Suzhou within reach

Sent from my MI 2S using Tapatalk 4

No direct flights yet?

Sent from my MI 2S using Tapatalk 4

if you want low end shit from suspect factories, Ningbo is the place.

No direct flights yet?

Sent from my MI 2S using Tapatalk 4[/quote]
Yes there are direct flights, but they’re not the cheapest way.

Sent from my no-brand work computer using the Internet