Moving to Taidong

My wife, daughter, and I are moving to Taidong city in August. It’s something I’ve wanted to do for a long time. My wife is from there and most of her family are there. We go there often.

My wife is a public school teacher and got a transfer to a beautiful school just south of the city. I look after our daughter in the daytime, so I need to find some part time work in the evenings. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Tourism is big in Taidong, maybe B&B , restaurant, bar? One idea.

Yeah, lots of stuff in the area, big cluster of foreigners in Dulan. You could open a pizza place that guarantees a 30 minute or less waiting time.

I don’t know if you teach or are willing to teach but perhaps you could approach local public schools and see if they’d be willing to hire you. Sometimes they can scrape some money together and probably not pay you that much but you could maybe leverage a nice schedule or something like that.

Am envious…best part of Taiwan IMHO … will probably try to move there too.

Yes, mucho envy on my part too. :notworthy:

1 Like

The more I hear about Dulan having become a hit with foreigners, the less I am inclined to go there. :laughing:

Once people start flocking to one place, it’s time to look for some place else. But that’s just me. I like it quiet with just a few people around.

So what are you doing in Taiwan? Never considered the Namib, the Sahara, the tundra? :neutral:
Hardly a “country” for someone who requires peace and quiet. :2cents:

And, Charlie, I have considered Taidong, too. I need somewhere to die in relative quiet. :slight_smile:

Guy

I’ve been toying with the B&B option for a few years, and it’s still on the table.

But we will rent a house at first so we can take our time looking around for a property. I just need some pocket money so I don’t have to dip into the house budget. Particularly at today’s exchange rates.

What about a mountain guide for unsuspecting tourists?

I suggest living in a high mountain valley with only a sparsely populated group of aborigines. What happens in the mountains stays in the mountains

Heres’s a few things I would like to do…

buy farmland open b&b… i know the law changed recently so not sure how feasible this is now.
rent farmland and create a tourist/organic farm
work with small organic farmers and help create brand and distribution outside of Taidong
create own line of organic pestos/dried tomatoes/ etc…

open deli/cafe

open surf shop

work with aboriginals to create a bear grylls style boot camp for all those spoilt kids or something like what Buzzkill recommended

open a chinese language summer camp

open a road side pit stop cafe for cyclists. A place where one could shower/fix bike and grab a good lunch or maybe a pint.

just a few ideas

[quote=“gavmasterflash”]Yeah, lots of stuff in the area, big cluster of foreigners in Dulan. You could open a pizza place that guarantees a 30 minute or less waiting time.

I don’t know if you teach or are willing to teach but perhaps you could approach local public schools and see if they’d be willing to hire you. Sometimes they can scrape some money together and probably not pay you that much but you could maybe leverage a nice schedule or something like that.[/quote]

I’ve toyed with the idea of opening a pizza place next to Uncle Pete’s called ‘Quick and Corny’. My signature dish would be corn, pork-floss and mayonaise pizza on soft dough. I’d put them in the oven at 9AM and open the shop at 11AM, and close when the last pizza is sold, or at 9PM, whichever comes first. Unsold pizza would go onsale the next day.

But he seems like such a nice guy; how can I live with myself using such cut-throat business tactics?

So what are you doing in Taiwan? Never considered the Namib, the Sahara, the tundra? :neutral:
Hardly a “country” for someone who requires peace and quiet. :2cents:[/quote]

I wrote “a few people around”, not “no people around”. I like Taitung, and Hualien, in general, but the thought of having a “cluster of foreigners” there does not sound appealing to me. Maybe it would, if I would consider opening a business catering to foreigners in the area.

Personally…I miss mornings in Antarctica with the smell of frostbite and the cackling of penguins in the air

Hardly a “country” for someone who requires peace and quiet. :2cents:

And, Charlie, I have considered Taidong, too. I need somewhere to die in relative quiet. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Well, I too would prefer to die in Taidong, rather than in Sanchong, or anywhere else in ‘New Taipei City’. I shall prepare a field for you.

If I survive long enough.

Perhaps we can add Rehabilitation Center for Burned out Foreigners in Taiwan with Hospice Wing for those who are unrehabilitable, and a cemetery with ocean views to the list of business proposals.

[quote=“PaMaFanAiFangBian”]Heres’s a few things I would like to do…

buy farmland open b&b… I know the law changed recently so not sure how feasible this is now.
rent farmland and create a tourist/organic farm
work with small organic farmers and help create brand and distribution outside of Tailing
create own line of organic pestos/dried tomatoes/ etc…

open deli/cafe

open surf shop

work with aboriginals to create a bear grylls style boot camp for all those spoilt kids or something like what Buzzkill recommended

open a chinese language summer camp

open a road side pit stop cafe for cyclists. A place where one could shower/fix bike and grab a good lunch or maybe a pint.

just a few ideas[/quote]

I like all of these ideas. If I were Donald Trump, I would choose you as my apprentice; and if you were Donald Trump, I would kiss your ass.

Thankfully neither one of us are!

Tourism in the taidong hualien area has been growing so much recently

An idea could be to do be a tour guide for English speaking tourists. As I am very sure there are none or are very cery few.
I feel a lot of forigners want to visit taidong but is so little in English available. And if could make the tour interesting it would be a hit. As there is so much natural and cultral beauty in taidong.

Anyways taidongs a fantastic place to live love it to bits

Someone should do a retirement home for foreigners by the sea.

Definitely B and B, through Airbnb for starters.

1 Like

Perhaps we can add Rehabilitation Center for Burned out Foreigners in Taiwan with Hospice Wing for those who are unrehabilitable, and a cemetery with ocean views to the list of business proposals.[/quote][/quote]

I got the impression that this is what Dulan is already.

First of all, good on you!

Secondly:
www.upwork.com
Been making my living just from working there past 2 years.
We recently moved to Hualien for similar reasons, it was a coinflip between it and Taidong.
What a world of difference with Kaohsiung :slight_smile: