Moving to Taipei area for 1 yr so my 12 y/o & 10 y/o can attend public school

Hi all. I am half Taiwanese, my dad was from Taichung. I do not have Taiwanese citizenship or passport, only USA. I plan to move to Taiwan for 1 year with my children so that they can attend public school in Taiwan. For the 2023-24 school year, my son will be 12 in the 7th grade and my daughter will be 10 in the 5th grade. They have both been in Mandarin immersion school in Cleveland since they were in kindergarten, so they are somewhat proficient in Mandarin. Is it possible to enroll them in public junior high school and elementary school? I have spent time reading through the different posts, but they are either for kindergarten entry and/or have Taiwanese citizenship. My plan is to find schools they can go to, that are very close to each other. Then find somewhere nearby to rent for housing. And then get a job teaching English not too far away. I will spend this year figuring it all out. Is this possible? Can anyone recommend schools? I want to be in/around Taipei. I am most familiar with the Taipei area, as I studied abroad at Zhen Da and NTNU. I also taught English at a school in Taipei for a year, when i was 22 yrs old ( am 38 now).

Short answer, of course your children can attend local school.
Whether they fit in smoothly all depends, but may as well let them sink or swim for 1 year.
All kinds of threads on the topic (use search function with your own specific terms).
Here are some:
https://tw.forumosa.com/search?q=children%20in%20local%20school
As for recommending schools, it all depends on where you want to live in Taipei, as you know it’s a huge city. Maybe try Neihu around the Dahu or Bihu area.
It’s nice, has MRT, might be a bit less expensive than downtown like Da-An or Hsinyi, for sure. Good luck

2 Likes

Thank you

Hi all. This is my first post to this group. I am half Taiwanese, my dad was from Taichung. I do not have Taiwanese citizenship or passport, only USA. I plan to move to Taiwan for 1 year with my children so that they can attend public school in Taiwan. For the 2023-24 school year, my son will be 12 in the 7th grade and my daughter will be 10 in the 5th grade. They have both been in Mandarin immersion school in Cleveland since they were in kindergarten, so they are somewhat proficient in Mandarin. Is it possible to enroll them in public junior high school and elementary school? I have spent time reading through the different posts, but they are either for kindergarten entry and/or have Taiwanese citizenship. My plan is to find schools they can go to, that are very close to each other. Then find somewhere nearby to rent for housing. And then get a job teaching English not too far away. I will spend this year figuring it all out. Is this possible? Can anyone recommend schools? I want to be in/around Taipei. I am most familiar with the Taipei area, as I studied abroad at Zhen Da and NTNU. I also taught English at a school in Taipei for a year, when i was 22 yrs old ( am 38 now).

3 Likes

Why don’t you get the citizenship and save yourself the hassle?

2 Likes

I dont think I can. My dad passed away 10 years ago. He had a wife and 10 kids in Taichung, left them and moved to USA. He met my mom and didnt tell her about his family had me and stayed together for 15 years. But then he left us and went back to Taiwan. I tried to make a relationship with my half brothers and sisters, but they all hate me. After my dad died, no one will help me with anything.

6 Likes

id advise to get some 7th grade materials and see if your son can manage. the level can be quite difficult to those coming from abroad.
i believe you will need an arc and an address to register them for school, so probably you should find a place first, and then do thw school part.
i live in tianmu, and know several foreign kids that go to:
shidong elementary school (public)
lanya elementary school (public )
kuei shan (private bilingual )

i heard mostly good things about these schools.

2 Likes

Fucking idiots. They’re blaming the kid?

5 Likes

that is a sad story… i believe you still.moght be eligible for a tw passport. as long as you have proof and documents he is your father you might not need your siblings to be involved. best is to consult a lawyer.

5 Likes

they are probably afraid she is after their cut of the inheritance .
plus, they dont really have anything in common, why should they stay in touch?
my uncle was married and divorced 3 times. has kids from these 3 marriages, none of the kids stay in touch with the dad, nor with each other. some people are just like that.

5 Likes

They don’t need to stay in touch, they don’t need to do anything.
Imagine if @AdventureGirl was a single child. Citizenship should still be possible.

4 Likes

It should be possible. As @RickRoll mentioned, if you were a single child, would this make any difference? I don’t think so.

I would take a look into it. Having dual citizenship can not only make it easier in Taiwan, but offer more doors for your children too.

3 Likes

Thank you

Reading/writing also somewhat proficient or preferrably better than that`? If not it could turn into a nightmare year for them (and you) with insurmountable amounts of homework.

Maybe have a plan B for schooling if it does not work.

3 Likes

Poor people don’t have 10 kids in Taiwan. Get a lawyer and get your part of inheritance. In the end was your father as well.

1 Like

Oh, they have a ton of money for sure. House on a hill, swimming pool, lots of businesses. I really don’t care. Citizenship would be nice. I don’t feel my children are safe in Merikkka, so im trying to find a way out, even if just temporary

1 Like

Sorry to hear about the family but your dad being Taiwanese makes you eligible for Taiwan citizenship and your children too . Need to contact a lawyer

1 Like

I don’t think I can afford a lawyer :confused: if any one wants to help me probono that would be amazing

Have you talked to your closest TECRO office? Not sure why everyone is jumping to a lawyer - contact them and see what they say you need.

6 Likes

this info may help

how to get a passport

3 Likes