Moving to Taipei summer 2022

No I am pretty sure you can tell what the hostile response was from NZ

Perhaps, but this kind of wording of us being ‘locked in’ can be seen as inflammatory since many of us believe we have had it good here. Perhaps using more neutral language would’ve been better.

Locked in implies we’re having a bad time and I would disagree that we’re locked in.

1 Like

How much is cotton wool over there we can all chip in and buy some to wrap you up with.

1 Like

Valid point. Ability to move in/out of borders without excessive cost or prohibitive measures. Does that sound better? I spent the last year under lockdown in a different part of the world so I am honestly just trying to mentally prepare myself. Not feeling sorry for myself but to be realistic.

Ah yes, this isn’t hostile at all. Thanks though!

1 Like

More feeling sorry for yourself. It’s been a bad epidemic of that these last few years.

If you don’t like the way Asia is operating regards this pandemic don’t come here. Simples. And nobody can predict the future .

Now you if you want to vent about coronavirus we have specific forum threads here for that.

I used neutral language first, also suggesting suitable clothes for the climate and then telling you that life has gone on pretty much as normal. But then you responded by saying that we were “locked in”, as though Taiwan is the same as China in that respect. I think most of the responses were “life is fine here now, but we don’t know what the future holds” mixed with “things to keep in mind that have nothing to do with COVID”. But I do call out people who seem to be asking neutral questions but try to redirect the conversation to something hostile. Yes, you want to weigh the pros and cons, but you can do it in a nicer way than you did

There are personalities, if you have spent enough time here you will get to know people. @nz is not one of my favourite community members, and I have criticized her posts on more than one occasion (strongly hinting that I find them to be unpleasant and lacking credibility). But, her first reply here was pleasant enough and your response led with “so you are saying” followed by a mischaracterization of what she actually said.

This is something of a running joke on certain threads.
2302gj

1 Like

Well to be honest I am brand new to this site. Lesson learned I suppose

2 Likes

Ok, I understand. I am new here.

Definitely some strong personalities. It’s a good place to come for lively discussion. I like the sense of camaraderie, and also it is a great place to get advice such as you were looking for. I’d suggest giving it time, trying not to be so sensitive, strive for pleasant clarity in your own posts, and remember that there are a variety of posters here and not everyone will post the way you’d like them to :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I understand! I apologize if I come off as sensitive. I was locked down with very inconsistent harsh measures in my last host country and got very sick with Covid last December as a result. So perhaps I am coming off in the wrong way. I take the virus very seriously and don’t want anyone to mistake me for the type that doesn’t. Thx

2 Likes

I think we just have a misunderstanding in this topic. All should be good now.

3 Likes

Could only advise coming if you’re happy staying in Taiwan the whole time, and then only leaving at the end of your time here. Moving in and out of the island is only an option for the super rich or priviliged at this point. You’ll need to be Ok with 100% mask compliance, plus tolerance for any further rules that are imposed. No-one has any idea what these rules will be.

Further lockdowns could easily follow here in the summer, as Taiwan pursues a zero-Covid approach, endlessly trying to contact-trace and then isolate all infected individuals, with random closures, rule changes and ‘Level’ changes a regular occurrence. It’s all being made up on the hoof. There is no plan, just attempts to try and control the uncontrollable.

1 Like

Well I hope things will get better.

1 Like

So does Taiwan.

1] it’s an island 7 or 8, or 12 time zones away from anywhere else you want to be.

2] it’s an island that takes the virus very seriously.

In all fairness, everyone has had a crap two years. People here, even the best of us, are still fairly isolated, and to varying degrees, triggered living in a (very) foreign culture. Plus covid, even though the practical effects have been (largely) mitigated here.

If you get here, covid won’t be any more of a nuisance than many other factors of moving to the other side of the globe.

What country are you leaving, by the way?

1 Like

Ukraine. I do understand that everyone has had a crap two years. It does sound like most on here do think the authorities are doing the right thing so I guess that is good because I can’t say I felt the same way about my last situation. Even though I loved it in many other ways. I have been to Taiwan before but it was ages ago.

A lot of people on this forum are quite territorial, they act like it’s a local pub almost rather than an online forum. Plenty of people here complain about being locked in etc, but you as an outsider apparently cannot.

Life here hasn’t changed noticeably under Covid, some businesses are obviously quieter, and seeing friends and family from home is very difficult now. But that’s been a worldwide phenomenon from what i can see.

4 Likes

Yes, thank you for understanding.

At least you won’t have to miss the ever-present threat of vaguely communist dictatorships threatening to invade. We get to enjoy that here as well!

6 Likes