Moving to Taipei

Hi everyone :slight_smile: ,

We’re currently living in Osaka, Japan and are looking to move to Taipei in about 2 months.
:help: Hoping you guys can help with our research. We’re trying to compare specific prices with those in Osaka to get an idea on the differences in value.

We’d like to know how much the following cost:

• a Big Mac
  • a can of coke
  • a movie ticket
  • a taxi fare
  • an average meal (nothing fancy)
  • a meal at a nice restaurant

Thanks to anyone who can help!

BTW- this is a very useful site. Thanks!

dunno

20NT

200NT

100Nt

100NT

400NT

A Big Mac Meal (Burger, fries and Coke) costs NT$109
Average meal NT$109
Expensive meal NT$218 :slight_smile:

I’d give a slightly different range:

• a Big Mac meal: $109NT
  • a can of coke: $20NT
  • a movie ticket: $250 - 280NT
  • a taxi fare: flag drops at $70NT, no fare anywhere in the city will cost you much more than $200NT
  • an average meal (nothing fancy): $300
  • a meal at a nice restaurant: $800 to $1000

Bu Lai En is a vegetarian, so maybe that’s why he eats cheaper. :wink:

Sounds more like a treasure hunt than a questionarie :wink: . How is Osaka? I used to live there in 99. I have found that the cost of living is much better here in Taipei, yet, I haven’t worked as an English teacher here, so I can’t do an authentic cost of living comparison. You may not be able to save a great deal of money like in Japan. But you can make money, live very, very well(the apartments are bigger than those mansions!) and eat cheaper. All in All it’s a good move. Best of luck to you. And if you have any more questions, please feel free to email me or pm me…

A Honda CB400 is about NT$375,000.

Hi,

Firstly, thanks to those of you who were kind enough to share the info about prices with us (from the earlier post “Moving to Taipei”). It’s helped a lot.

Now we’ve got a few more questions for you guys… :slight_smile:

Can you give us an idea of how much the following things cost in Taipei?

• Gym membership per month
  • CDs
  • Video rental
  • Mobile phone per month (used for calls within Taiwan only)
  • Approximate weekly spending (entertainment, food, transport)
  • Basic train fare
  • Internet connection per month

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Someone asked what it’s like living in Osaka. Well from what information we’ve gathered about Taipei, the two cities sound somewhat similar. Osaka is very dense and the surrounding cities tend to blend into it as far as the eye can see. The people here are friendly and slowly getting used to having foreigners around. There’s quite a bit of English here and English words are becoming part of the Japanese language more and more as time goes by. Osaka is a very modern city with all the conveniences you could ever want. Osaka has more than its fair share of conveniently located shops and restaurants. It can be a little bit expensive living here but if you can get a job with a good English school, they will pay you well enough to compensate.

The pollution in Osaka varies from day-to-day, depending on the weather. It’s quite possible to have perfectly clear days here in the summer months if the humidity and temperature are right.

As you can probably imagine, public transport is excellent throughout Japan. You can get basically anywhere you want in Japan simply by catching a train (and more than likely there will a number of trains running to your destinating throughout the day).

If anyone has specific questions about living in Osaka, please don’t hesitate to ask us! We’ve been living here for two-and-a-half years.

Thanks!

[quote]- an average meal (nothing fancy): $300

• a meal at a nice restaurant: $800 to $1000

Bu Lai En is a vegetarian, so maybe that’s why he eats cheaper.[/quote]

Well, I wrote what I thought was average.

Veggie or not, standard Chiense food - noodles or rice, will cost you about 80-150NT for dinner, or 50NT-80NT for a ‘lunchbox’. This is what I mean by an average meal…

I NEVER spend more than 500NT for a nice meal (excluding piss) at a restaurant, I’ve never been tempted too, and never had to (well maybe once or twice in 5 years. There’s lots of great food to be had in the 300-500NT range.

Brian

[quote=“Aaron and Jacqui”]Can you give us an idea of how much the following things cost in Taipei?

• Gym membership per month
  • CDs
  • Video rental
  • Mobile phone per month (used for calls within Taiwan only)
  • Approximate weekly spending (entertainment, food, transport)
  • Basic train fare
  • Internet connection per month

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
[/quote]

1. Gym memberships vary with lots of promotions. Do a search here for recent threads. I think people were saying NT$20,000 per month or so.
  2. CDs - never bought.
  3. Video Rentals - never did.
  4. Mobile phone - I use Chunghwa Telecom. They have monthly rates requiring NO contract ranging from $88, $288, $588, $1288 and $1688 per month the last time I checked. If you buy a phone here with a phone plan, you’re locked into a contract. Calls are cheaper between Chunghwa mobile users. Regular pricing is about NT$6 per minute I believe with this non contract plan.
  5. Weekly spending – hard to estimate, depends on your personal habits.
  6. Basic Train fare - do you mean train or MRT? MRT rates start at NT$20 with most stops costing you NT$20-30. The most expensive is NT$55 which would take you way out to the end of each MRT line.
  7. Basic bus fare - costs you NT$15. Bus transfers from an MRT station costs you NT$8 (NT$7 if you use the easy card)
  8. Internet connection per month - there are promotions now. Without the promotions I think they run about NT$1200 per month.

For spending, it’ll depend on your own habits, but I’m averaging about NT$500 (roughly US$15) per day, not counting rent. I believe Rascal gave this as a typical rate in another similar thread, too.

I don’t know about Osaka but Taipei is ringed with mountains so it’s very easy to get out onto clean, lush hiking trails very quickly. There are also several beaches within 1-2 hours. The only months you can’t swim are January to March on cold days.

Pollution is worst in the spring when you get bad inversions and also dust and sand storms from China. Fall is the best time of year. Mostly clear skies, warm (28 degrees on average) and usualy a little windy to keep the pollution low.

Concur with Mapo that a budget of 500NT a day on average is fine for food, transport, miscallaneous expenses, etc. Factor in more for clothing and if you do want to have a few better dinners a month.

As a couple though you should be able to live quite well as most of you expenses are shared. If you both are making 60,000 a month or more (not at all difficult teaching) you’ll be able to have a great time and save.

My internet access is 310NT a month with ADSL. It cost 800NT to install so it’s very cheap.

Like Japan, public transport is extremely convenient. Buses and taxis are frequent and the MRT is very convenient. Trains always run on time and run to an intense schedule around the Island. They are also cheap.

For more comnfortable trips, taxis are everywhere. Infact, you will be stalked by taxis looking for a fare.

And by next fall the new bullet train system down to the south will open.

[quote]

1. Gym memberships vary with lots of promotions. I think people were saying NT$20,000 per month or so.[/quote]

That’s a YEARLY quote, not monthly. I pay 1500NT$/month.

CDs - around 300NT$ (MUCH cheaper than at home in Germany)

HTH
Iris

[quote=“iris”][quote]

1. Gym memberships vary with lots of promotions. I think people were saying NT$20,000 per month or so.[/quote]

That’s a YEARLY quote, not monthly. I pay 1500NT$/month.

CDs - around 300NT$ (MUCH cheaper than at home in Germany)

HTH
Iris[/quote]

Mea culpa :blush:

That’s amazing… that 5 CDs would get you a month gym membership. In the States, that sort of conversion would get you a useable pair of sneakers and an open area to exercise in :frowning:

Correction: the only months you can’t swim are January to March on cold days if you’re rather weedy and have the willpower of a hypnotized lapdog.

In the late 1990s, I set myself the goal of swimming in creeks up in the hills every day. I missed out on just a few days each year at first (because of typhoons making it impossible to swim, or circumstances that made it impossible for me to get to up the river), but managed at last to swim every single day from January 1st to December 31st in 1999, even though that included some of the chilliest weather you’re ever likely to get in Taiwan (with temperatures at just four to six degrees). Yes, the water nearly froze my balls off, and I often emerged with blue extremities and shaking so much that I could hardly pull my clothes back on – but I did demonstrate beyond dispute that Taiwan is fit for swimming at absolutely any time of the year. :smiley:

Omni, I stand corrected.

I can think of no fashionably ironic way to respond to this post so I will say this instead.

You might like to consider that if you are a western male with child-bearing hips you won’t easily find many undies/shirts/pants/shoes that fit. “L” here seems to equal “M” and “XL” is rare. If you are female with breasts that actually make a profile you might have trouble finding a bra that can fit.

If you have found certain things rare or too small in Osaka you’ll find similar issues here.

The food is great, locals are very friendly, bureacracy is Byzantine, weather is hot/cold/rainy, MRT is great, some taxi drivers train at the S.W.A.T. driving school. The drains they are a smelling but the coffee is good. And we have a local form of rancid tofu…

Hi everyone :slight_smile: ,

Thanks very much for the valuable information about living in Taipei. We’ve put it to good use!

If you think of any other tips/advice, please enlighten us!

We might have more questions yet… :wink: