Moving to Taiwan in a year (September 2009)

Moving to Taiwan will be the greatest thing you ever do. Not because Taiwan is so great, but because it will be the one thing that defines your life in years to come. What you need is absolutely no goals and the ability to laugh at anything that happens. Don’t expect anything out of your time here, just come over and cross all bridges when you get to them. You might end up teaching English - that’s cool, give it a try. You won’t hate it from the get-go. You might like the food, you might not. You might get on with your girlfriend’s family, or you might not. See all these ‘mights’ ? That’s exactly why you want to move here, isn’t it? There’s no ‘mights’ back in the UK for you. Every might is an opportunity for you to take, shape into whatever you can make of it, and come out of it with either an experience richer, or a result.

After one year, you take a break and ask yourself if you like it enough to stay. Whatever the answer to that question, it will be the single best thing you’ve ever done up until now. I’m quite convinced.

This is worrying in terms of getting a work permit :ponder: are there any exceptions the rule? for example special measures, i.e. a larger company believes you have potential to earn above the rate… or something?.. I’m starting to think that the only way forward is a teaching job, I really wouldn’t mind this as I’ve had some experience (plus both my parents are teachers, higher and primary)… But wont I require some teaching degree, or qualification?.. This is confusing me, can I go straight into a teaching job after my science product design degree?..

Only if Taiwan is the one big thing you do with your life. That would be just as lame as not going. T’lad’s only 23! Don’t depress him.

[quote=“saxton_boy”]

But wont I require some teaching degree, or qualification?.. This is confusing me, can I go straight into a teaching job after my science product design degree?..[/quote]
Bloody hell, why do people ignore me? Have a read of my last post and you’ll see the answer

[quote=“Funk500”][quote=“saxton_boy”]

But wont I require some teaching degree, or qualification?.. This is confusing me, can I go straight into a teaching job after my science product design degree?..[/quote]
Bloody hell, why do people ignore me? Have a read of my last post and you’ll see the answer[/quote]

My bad, :notworthy:

Thanks, this is a great relief. :slight_smile:

Mikee

You’re worrying about the wrong things – which is pretty much all of them.

As Funk said, you will have no problem getting a legal teaching job. As a matter of fact, you should probably count on getting just that, since there’s something important you should understand about life here for newbies: However many design companies there may be in Taiwan, and however many British companies there may be in Taiwan, and however good a designer you may be, and however much experience you may have, you will probably end up teaching English – at least for your first year. If you come expecting something else shortly after arrival, you are likely to be disappointed.

And unless you’re living in London for free, I can’t imagine why you’re worried about costs in Taipei. It’s not nearly so expensive here as London.

Yeah, I have to accept that. Its fine with me though, its probably a great benefit, as if I go straight into a design job (not that its likely to happen) I wont get as much interaction as I would do with teaching. I can always continue my designing and enter myself into various competitions in my free time.

Just got to drown out any negative thinking… and think exactly like Ah Q :notworthy:

Thanks all :thumbsup:

Mikee

And with regards to the money thing, most good teachining jobs will pay NT$50-65k a month from the ads I’ve seen on Taiwanted.com, go have a look for yourself. There’s also a section about other jobs there and you can see what’s on offer, but most of them don’t pay as well as the best of the teachning jobs for some odd reason, nor do they tend to come with any kind of housing subsidy, but most will offer better company parties (with give aways for Chinese new year) and big bonuses after you’ve been there for a year.

Anyhow, it’s not a bad thing giving it a go, don’t expect too much, but equally, don’t expect too little from Taiwan.

Ok, its settled… I’ll be an English teacher… I’ve already just booked myself on a course this year (depending on my modules) or next summer (summer school), “teaching english to foreigners”… This would stand me in good said for teaching my English to those lucky Taiwanese students.

So the journey begins, wish me luck. Thank you everyone for fanning away the fog in my brain… :discodance:

Mikee

[quote=“Elegua”]Don’t listen to them - do it if you want to.

I mean look at me…I moved to Taiwan when I was 18 with nothing but a visa and the clothes on my back and look where I am now!

:doh:[/quote]

Is this a Where in the World Wally thing? And if I figure it out, will you be dancing?

If you are panning on coming to Taiwan, it’s for sure that you would like to have a general understanding of what life is like here.
There are many people who came to Taiwan with no experience of doing anything what so ever (like myself) and made their way up to a satisfying job, meet someone new, experience Taiwanese culture, learn some simple Chinese.
Of course there are some bumps in the road, like not every Taiwanese are hospitable or open to foreigners. Some food might be just a bit too exotic for you, the overpriced drinks in the clubs, but things will only get better.

There are also a lot of websites you can look for information like taiwanjobfair.com/Default.aspx

Getting a job as a designer with only a degree (no experience or on-the-job training) is a bit of a pipe dream, especially since there are already enough Taiwan-born designers living here who don’t need visa assistance and get paid local wages, not to mention speak Mandarin and have a working knowledge of English.

I’d suggest coming here and getting an English teaching job. While here, study some mandarin and get a language exchange with a designer…and see where that gets you.

Also, definitely live on your own. If you can, come here before your girlfriend does (even if just for a week) so you can get a feel for the place and build a “yes I can” foundation. You’ll have to struggle on your own, but afterwards you’ll have the experience of doing things on your own. If you start out relying on her for everything (no matter what you say, she’ll become a crutch), it will just add stress to the relationship.

About that 5 year plan: Drop the plan. The time limits only encourage expectations and create stress, especially when one person wants to leave early or not leave at all.

Come here with her, but make sure you live here for YOU.

Good luck. :+)

[quote=“ichbinjenny”]Getting a job as a designer with only a degree (no experience or on-the-job training) is a bit of a pipe dream, especially since there are already enough Taiwan-born designers living here who don’t need visa assistance and get paid local wages, not to mention speak Mandarin and have a working knowledge of English.

I’d suggest coming here and getting an English teaching job. While here, study some Mandarin and get a language exchange with a designer…and see where that gets you.

Also, definitely live on your own. If you can, come here before your girlfriend does (even if just for a week) so you can get a feel for the place and build a “yes I can” foundation. You’ll have to struggle on your own, but afterwards you’ll have the experience of doing things on your own. If you start out relying on her for everything (no matter what you say, she’ll become a crutch), it will just add stress to the relationship.

About that 5 year plan: Drop the plan. The time limits only encourage expectations and create stress, especially when one person wants to leave early or not leave at all.

Come here with her, but make sure you live here for YOU.

Good luck. :+)[/quote]

I think this is generally excellent advice from ichbinjenny. But I would add one point that I don’t think has been brought up yet. While finding a job as a designer right off the bat would be unlikely, with a bit of research, it might not be hard at all to find a job in a design house or a company in a related field (fashion/textile/apparel) on the strength of having some design background plus English as your native language. Many Taiwan companies in all sorts of industries trying to compete internationally will hire a foreigner as an “English support person” – the title might be “intern” in the case of a young person who has just graduated in the field – to help them with their paper correspondence, international phone calls, and sometimes even travel abroad with them, to smooth relations with international clients, suppliers, or targets, also perhaps to organize an in-house lunchtime or after-work English class for employees. You might also pick up private classes with company executives, who will be great contacts to build your career in the future. A company like this might not need a full-time person, but perhaps someone who could work half days. This could be perfect as you’d have half days off to study a bit of Chinese, pursue your own further design studies, or so forth. To start off, this kind of job will almost certainly not pay as much on a per-hour basis as teaching English, but should be seen as a stepping stone to career building. You can make friends and contacts in the industry, prove your skills and value and gradually move vertically within the company or skip to another. If you resarch the industry and approach companies directly, you might help them “discover” the need to create a position like this. Something to think about. You should also keep in mind that when you have a work permit through one employer in Taiwan (be it an English school or a fashion house or another business, you are not permitted to work for any other employer unless you apply for and receive a separate work permit for each job). Be very careful not to break these rules if you hope to stay in Taiwan and advance your career over the long term. If you sign up for Chinese classes, you should look into the possibility of getting a flexible student work pemit. (See the Visa and Residence board for discussion of these issues.) If you’re into design, I’d say sure, come to Taiwan, but try to keep moving in your chosen field while you’re young and ambitious. Others in the field will recognize this, and it will look better on your resume in the future than a year or more of teaching English (unless of course you were pursuing teaching as a career).

Enough has been said about job, accomodation and other aspects of daily life, but the relationship has so far not been mentioned much, although I think you better be prepared here, too, if you don’t want to end up like one previous poster put it:

MANY guys who follow their girlfriends there find that they got on the plane with one woman and got off it with someone who only looks like her.

Your girlfriend is now, in London, free from social pressures and adventurous enough to try everything with you. This will not be the same in Taiwan!

Families are much tighter here than in the West and she will most probably live with her parents, even if you don’t. She will have to follow wishes and rules you don’t understand and put up with circumstances you won’t even imagine, e.g. a complete lack of privacy.
Returning from the freedom of living on her own, it will be difficult and not helped by your probable lack of empathy.
Unless you both have the patience of a Buddha, this will put strain on the relationship.

Also remember that in Asia you marry (and marry or break up you will - social pressures will see to that!) not a woman but a family, so be prepared for her relatives meddling in affairs you’d consider none of their business.
If you also stay with her parents, it will start from the day you move in. I recommend this, as it helps you to understand her situation and come to a conclusion if this is what you really want in your life.

I have gone through it all and can assure you that, although initially difficult and at times frustrating, it helps widen your horizon and become a better person. And, at least in my case, I am also rewarded by having a fulfilled life and wonderful wife.
You decide for yourself if that’s worth the hazzle!

Good luck in your adventures!

Thanks…
I’ll be taking that advice to heart, too. My girlfriend arrives in Taiwan next month and even though I’m close with her family, I can see all those issues becoming REAL once she’s back in the picture.

I will move to Taipei at the next year. The reason is the same, but the plan is diferent: I will start with a language school (1year). I’m not sure, that this is the right place of my question, but…: I would like to get some information / read experiences about the average cost of the living for a month in Taipei. I know the price of the school, rent, but I could not find anything about the cost of the living for a student (food, public transport). How much is it?
Is here anyone who can help me? Please

Well, that depends what you eat and how much you travel :smiley:
The MRT is anything from NT$16 to 65 depending on how you pay and how far you go, it’s cheaper to get a card that you pre-load with cash as you get a 20% discount.
If you then jump on a bus after taking the MRT, you get 50% discount and mostly the bus faire is something like NT$16 unless you go really far on a bus.
Food, well, it’s anything from NT$50-60 for a cheap lunch to as much as anywhere else if you’re into really fancy stuff.
Eating local stuff is always cheaper, but it might not always be appealing, it really depends how picky an eater you are :smiley:

Thank you for the quick answer. It was the most important question at the moment.
Soon I will have a few other about visa things (its not a threat :slight_smile: ). I hope I will get answer for them here as well.

Try www.heyshow.com.tw create a profile and hopefully something will come up.

I searched for more information in other topic, but nothing. Is it true, without degree/diplom I cant get any kind of job in Taiwan? I have “just” a professional qualification. I graduated in a 2 years “college” as a photographer.
So my question is: If I didnt study in a university, how can I get a job without a degree? Any idea?