Moving to Taiwan in search of a job

Taiwanese gov. doesn’t recognize a degree from any univ in China which is not in the list.

I don’t :joy:

Ok guys I got the wrong idea.

Thank you everyone for taking their time to write and try to help me out! First time posting here and everyone’s been very helpful.

I’ve always wanted to do import/export between China/US/Mexico and get into the international trade business but it’s not easy to get into that field with my lack of experience. I certainly won’t mind starting from the bottom as long as I get into that environment but I’m also not limiting my options to only that.

I’m familiar with simplified mandarin but the traditional is a little tricky to read for me but not too hard, my back up plan is to study there for a few months so I experience their way of living and see if it suits me or not.

I graduated from a Chinese university, is it considered foreign in Taiwan?

China is a foreign country to Taiwan, so, yeah?

Not according to his education from a Chinese university lol

Did I ever mention one of my professor in China printed out a brand new map for the class the next day after I pointed out his map didn’t include Taiwan as part of China. Just swapped it in the middle of the night and acted like it always was like that on the wall lol. See! It is part of China!!! According this acient map I found on goodgle…ah hm I mean baidu that says so.

1 Like

Well…

if you graduated from a university in Taiwan area, minimum salary is 33k, otherwise, 48k.

This is ridiculous. 30k is more than enough for a good life in Taipei.

It depends on what is a good life.

a good tech engineer fluent in english and educated in the states and with some experience could certainly make more than an english teacher at one of the larger tech companies here. when i was looking for an EE i was offering 1.5 million NT per year but still couldn’t find a suitable one in taiwan (we ended up hiring in the US). had i found someone educated in a good US school (UC tier or above) and with work xp at a good company, i would have fought to get that up to 2-2.5 million. back when i was at a large US tech company, our taiwan branch engineers (who were basically just AEs) made at least 1.2 mil and some were above the 2 mil mark. from what my friend/colleague told me, this was pretty typical of other companies in our field (including the taiwan ones) would pay for good talent (usually taida/tsinghua/jiaotong grads).

the average engineer wages get dragged down because a lot of engineers here are mediocre from mediocre schools and with shit experience. and if they are coming from poorer countries, you can short change them on wages even more. but for an US educated engineer who for whatever reason wants to work in taiwan, they can make a good amount here in taiwan terms. (of course, it’s even better getting sent on an expat package in that case).

personally i find being fluent in english incredibly important in some engineering disciplines because everything is written in english - datasheets, reference manuals, technical books, tutorials, educational material, websites, etc. someone not fluent in english wastes godly amounts of time struggling with this stuff. i communicate using mandarin but will generally not hire any engineer who doesn’t have a strong command of english. this is part of the reason why i and others are willing to pay such a premium on US trained engineers.

1 Like

Don’t be humble, you posh bastard you. :sunglasses:

1 Like

[quote=“Dr_Milker, post:32, topic:174704”]

Everybody has an accent of one type or another,

This is ridiculous. 30k is nothing like a good life in Taipei.

Seriously, I didn’t come here to live like a poor local.

for those things, you don’t need to be fluent in the language.

Maybe Quesito is thinking of American dollars?

Because yes, moving to Taipei to make $30,000 NT per month would be a ridiculous idea. Nor would it be a particularly good life, unless you have very good other reasons to be here.

I could do just fine on 30K a month in Taipei. But I don’t rent and I’m not an alcoholic.

1 Like

if you want to be productive, you absolutely need to be. way too many taiwanese have the mentality ‘well i can’t speak or write or listen but i can read english just fine’ but they can’t even read. obviously native-level isn’t needed but a minimum amount of fluency absolutely is.

here’s a typical ref manual you might need to read.

https://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/reference_manual/c2/f8/8a/f2/18/e6/43/96/DM00031936.pdf/files/DM00031936.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00031936.pdf

someone with low proficiency in english will have a disastrous time reading this. days and days looking up every word and still not understanding some of the material. i will say with total certainty (as someone that has seen this first hand) that someone with poor english ability will not be able to read this stuff in a reasonable amount of time and understand it to the level needed to be able to do their job. there’s a strong correlation between productive engineers and those who have a stronger command of english - the former can look up solutions and read the specs while the latter just linger there and someone has to explain to them what the stuff means.

I suppose if one learned to enjoy life’s simple pleasures. Like which lunch box am I going to have today?

When I lived on that budget I ate very well with zero lunchboxes: it’s called “cooking.”

1 Like