Moving to Taiwan need help

I am from UK and moving to Taiwan to be with my girlfriend in Taipei.

I am gonna get 2 month visa initially and then do visa run or what ever it takes to get it extended.

I need a job though and for teaching job u need degree and i aint got one.

How can I get a job as I will need one to support myself, dont really mind what it is . . . . just need the cash and preferably have a job waiting or almost guaranteed for when I get there. Thanks

Right. Well, I can’t imagine why the ROC educational authorities have such a ridiculous requirement that foreigners need a college/university degree in order to teach English here legally.

Perhaps some other visitor to this thread with experience in dealing with the Taiwanese bureaucracy can shed some light on this matter.

I’m not sure about having a degree in order to teach English in Taiwan. I know some friends who attend Mandarin classes in order to have their visa extended and teach English at the same time.

For jobs other than teaching, I know for sure that you need to have a degree and minimum of 2 years work experience, or a master’s degree with minimum of 1 year experience.

You can easily teach illegally, but I don’t think you’ll be able to line up such work until you get here. Try posting in the Teaching in Taiwan forum for better info.

For jobs other than teaching, I know for sure that you need to have a degree and minimum of 2 years work experience, or a master’s degree with minimum of 1 year experience.

So all maids and other labourers have a degree? :laughing:

Marry a local, then you can do pretty much what you want.

With luck, you might be able to set that up from abroad. :smiling_imp: Just post an ad in tealit. If you really want to teach, I saw a girl here who wanted to marry a foreigner, so they could start a buxiban together :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Can someone tell me where forum of teaching in taiwan is please.

Also I am marrying a Taiwanese girl, we already engaged, just come back from there :smiley:

But that is not straight away, thats bookedd for 8th November 2003 in UK, u all invited :smiley:

So any websites about legal/illegal teaching in Taipei would greatly help

Forget the dumb question asking where teaching in taiwan forum is, its easry I just got up :stuck_out_tongue:

Barneyman, do you have a severe substance-abuse problem?

Barneyman –
You sound like you will fit right in with the professionals that teach English here in Taiwan. And don’t worry, there are plenty of drugs here so you won’t have to dry out.

I have never taken any drugs in my life nor do I plan too…its still early and i didnt get much sleep maybe u was joking…my brain hurts.

Hi Barney,

Hop over to www.tealit.com and click on their “Forum” link about two-thirds of hte way down the left-hand side bar. The people over there seem to be like 2/3 illegal teachers, and they share a lot of information and opinions about how to make it work.

I haven’t done any kind of survey, but seems like most people on segue are a little more settled and tend to have “legal” jobs if they are working. I’m sure there are others reading the board, but most posters seem to be asking how to make an ARC arrangement work out, not how to avoid it.

Cheers

Rascal,

I should’ve made it clear that the regulations mentioned are for white-collar jobs. However, I do know there are people with master’s degree who work in Taiwan as foreign blue-collar workers. Sad, but that’s how it is.