Moving to Taiwan: Want a Pet

Hello, I’m going to be moving to Taiwan on June 14th, my birthday actually, and I’ll be starting work on July 20th. I’m really looking forward to this, but my work is only about 20-23 hours a week probably, so I want to pick up some hobbies and things to do.
Well, besides Chinese and bowling and stuff like that, I thought it’d be really great to get a pet. I’ve had all kinds of pets before and I know all the work that goes into it, so don’t worry.

I’m actually open to just about any kind of pet, except for a large dog because my room will be somewhat small, and cats because I’m allergic.

What I’m interested in:
-rabbits
-very small dogs
-gerbils
-hamsters
-guinea pigs
-snakes

Anyone expecting any puppies or know of any place that needs to get rid of an animal? Preferably, especially if its a dog, I want it to be a puppy because it’ll be a lot easier for it to get used to me and my apartment in the one month before I start work if it’s a pup when I get it.

no offense… but how do you know yet that you are here for the long haul? What happens if you don’t like it here and you are lumbered with a pet you can’t take back with you?

where are you from? Do you know how much it will cost to take the animal back to your home country?
Canada is cheap…my friend sent 2 dogs for NT12 000. But it will cost NT170 000 to take my dogs back to South-Africa with me (this is why I’m stuck here)

How about settling in before you get the animal? Wait until your visa , job etc is secure…you may hate it and want to leave. Or see the place…once you have an animal its hard to just go away for the weekend.

Oh yeah…vets here refuse to put animals to sleep unless they are in a lot of pain. My sister had guinea pigs and they grew to be more than 5 yrs old…in the end they could hardly walk but she couldn’t find a pet to put them out of their misery. Poor things just pooped and ate and lost all their hair…had little fits etc…

Thanks for the quick responses.

I lived in Taiwan for one year during college. Since then I’ve always planned to move back. My girlfriend is also Taiwanese and I intend to live in Taiwan for years, and if I do move, which I probably won’t, it is not totally impossible that I would take the pet with me. In fact, I’d intend to.

I get that you guys are cautious about this, but like I said, I’ve lived in Taiwan before and I know what to expect. I’ve seen the strays and had friends with pets. I am from the USA and I’m not positive how much it costs to bring a pet back, but I’ll look into it. Waiting until my visa comes through is fine, but I’m just worried I won’t be able to spend as much time bonding with a young pet if I wait until after I start my work. For those of you who are serious about animals, you know the first few weeks with a young pet is usually crucial.

I’m sure I know what to expect because I’ve done a lot of homework about living in Taiwan and I know how to find apartments that allow pets, etc. Anyway I’m still in the “idea” stage right now. This has a way to go from conception to action, but it’s definitely something I’m interested in pursuing. I love animals and having a pet is a lot more rewarding than playing video games and drinking way too much, which I know is what a lot of young foreigners in Taipei tend to do. I experienced the club scene last time, and it’s not for me.

[quote=“XinBiDe”] I want it to be a puppy because it’ll be a lot easier for it to get used to me and my apartment in the one month before I start work if it’s a pup when I get it.[/quote]Actually, that’s a misconception. Puppies do not “adapt” better than fully grown pooches. It totally depends on the dog, not on the dog’s age, and moreover, it depends on how you care for him/her. Besides, with puppies, you never quite know what the puppy will be like, but with fully grown dogs, you get to see ahead of time what the dog’s personality is like.

Rabbits can’t stop chewing. Not meant to be house pets.

Snakes are not meant to be pets, either. You can’t domesticate a snake, AFAIK, nor should they, IMO.

Hamsters and gerbils are cool, and very low maintenance but have short lifespans.

As for guinea pigs, I’ve heard that they die if you don’t give them lots of attention. But they’re cool, too.

All I can say is find a pet that needs a home, if you please, do not buy one.

My 2cents.

marboulette

I’ve owned all the pets I’ve listed previously
I’ve had three guinea pigs. One guinea pig lived to be 10 years old. One lived to be 7. And one lived to be 9. This is all pretty normal for guinea pigs, I think.

Snakes are reptiles and all reptiles are not domestic creatures, true, but I love snakes even if they don’t love me.

Gerbils and hamsters are cute but hamsters die after several years. Gerbils are fun. Rats are great, I should’ve mentioned rats. Oh well, my girlfriend hates rats.

In my experience, puppies adapt to people better than full-grown dogs, especially in Taiwan, because many of those adoptable dogs have a history of abuse and neglect. I’d love to take care of a stray dog in Taiwan but after seeing how messed up my friend’s adopted dog was, I’m not sure that’s for me. The dog seemed so sweet most of the time, but every once in a while he would not recognize us and he would bark and even snap his jaws at us sometimes. And giving that boy a bath was impossible. Sometimes he’d just whimper for no reason. I don’t want a dog with baggage.

Rabbits I haven’t owned, actually, but I’ve had many friends with rabbits and I think they’re adorable. My girlfriend agrees too, so they’re definitely an option.

Some French guy came to Taiwan on a 3 month assignment and bought a bright yellow toad. Then he left it with my neighbor and went home. Then my neighbor went to America and I got lumped with the stupid thing and if you want it it’s yours.

I’ll give you three free mice to go with it. He eats juvenile mice but these ones got too big during winter when warm-blooded creatures have an advantage over cold-blooded and the amphibian was in hibernation. Anyway, you can have the lot for free and I’ll even throw in the fish that I bought because the stupid bright yellow toad was sposed to eat fish according to the previous owner and I’ve got some grubs that he seems to have lost an appetite for since he got a taste for small mammals so you can have them too as long as you take the dumb frog.

I’ll even keep the grubs if I have to, as long as you take the frog. Please…take it. It’s cold, clammy and it’s yours.

Signed,

Desperate reluctant pet owner in Taiwan.

PS. I have a bunch of empty beer cans too and a scooter with a ceased-up motor but I’ll keep them if you take the frog. Thanks in advance. :pray:

Well, take it from someone whose experience with Taiwan “rescued” dogs is far more extensive than yours. I’ve personally rescued over 200 of them. Your opinion is misguided, and it appears that it is based on one single negative experience a friend of yours had. That’s really too bad. I hope you don’t come to realize that the hard way.

Good luck.

marboulette

PS: Charlie, that post is HILARIOUS! :laughing:

I’m not sure about the “puppy” comment; often if you’re working a lot, an older dog is ideal. Rescue dogs especially are so happy to have a home and so eager to please that you don’t have a lot of the “puppy issues”, such as chewing everything and everyone and paper training. Some rescue dogs can be challenging, yes, but usually they’re lovely pets. Also, if they come from reputable people, you will know about their dispositions et cetera before you take them home.

Trouble is, if you’re not here for the long haul, do you really want to break a dog’s heart? Are you willing to make a twenty-year commitment? The fact that you are willing to accept ANY pet (regardless of its “affection factor”) concerns me; dogs really need a lot of love and stability and need to feel like part of the pack.

Sorry if this sounds ranty or preachy or irritable, and sorry if I’ve misjudged your intentions. I’ve just seen too much cavalier treatment (and mistreatment) of dogs and puppies, especially in Taiwan. The sooner people learn that dogs are sentient beings and not disposable toys, the better. I’ll shut up now.

OK, thanks everyone for your posts so far.

I would prefer a small dog. I would also prefer a puppy given my admittedly limited negative experience with adopted strays. I have also been advised to take people on these forums with a grain of salt because many are very eager to bait people into adopting adult dogs no one else wants. I also know that adopting an adult stray is a bit of a gamble as sometimes all you can do is guess at its age. I’ve experienced hostile dogs in the streets of Danshui and don’t think I’d be comfortable adopting those particular dogs. I’ve also seen very sweet strays, but they’re largely untrained and at an age that is difficult to train. Some of them have no training whatsoever because they’ve spent a large portion of their lives on the street. I don’t hate strays. I’d be willing to take in a stray if it were a match for me, but I think taking in a puppy is a much safer option given my knowledge and circumstances. I came here for help, not to be belittled by lectures and suspicion.

You people need to realize that some people aren’t just thoughtless jerks. I know you’re probably jaded because of your experience with strays, but I will not contribute to that problem.

Charlie, the frog sounds intriguing but my girlfriend has forbidden me from accepting your offer. She also just told me a snake is not going to happen. So looks like dogs and rodentia for me.

Apologies. I didn’t intend to preach. :blush:

Someone recently rescued some Chihuahua (sp?) pups; I think it’s in one of the animal threads. I remember reading that the animals are not socialized, though.

Good luck with whatever pet you choose; hope you find a perfect match.

Post a pic of the toad. I like toads, especially big ones. is it as big as this one?

[quote=“XinBiDe”] I have also been advised to take people on these forums with a grain of salt because many are very eager to bait people into adopting adult dogs no one else wants. [/quote]My good sir, I believe you have been ill advised. Just this week, someone wanted to adopt a Bulldog from us, and I refused. I told the person to foster for a while and see how it would work out. Crap, I will post my email to this person to show it to you:

[quote=“In an email, marboulette”] Personally, I would prefer to take it one step at the time. How about you foster Jello for a while and see how you guys get along? I think that from there you would be in a much better position to consider adopting him permanently. We want what is best for Jello, and I think you would care for him really well, but maybe he will not behave in a way that you will find him loveable. Like I told you, he’s a difficult case to train and he has not been trained well at all in the past. He has some catching up to do and he needs someone that can be very patient, understanding and maybe a little experienced. I think you can be that person and we’d be happy to let you give him a try and go from there.

What do you think?[/quote]

This to say that while you think we are belittling you, I think you need to read the responses you have received in a different light.

[quote]I also know that adopting an adult stray is a bit of a gamble as sometimes all you can do is guess at its age.[/quote]Yes, it’s hard to tell their age. The only indication is their teeth, and depending on what they ate prior to being rescued, it’s very hard to tell, and I’m sure anyone on these boards who have adult strays for adoption would concur. No baiting, no tricks, no lies.

[quote]I’ve experienced hostile dogs in the streets of Danshui and don’t think I’d be comfortable adopting those particular dogs.[/quote]If a dog has behavioral problems, the regulars on this board would not hide that. :s

[quote]I’ve also seen very sweet strays, but they’re largely untrained and at an age that is difficult to train.[/quote]Again, if the regular posters told you that a dog is trained to do certain things, it would be true.

[quote] I think taking in a puppy is a much safer option given my knowledge and circumstances.[/quote]And that is where you are misguided. This is not intended to belittle you. It’s a fact. Look it up online and you will find that most humane societies, and anyone experience with dog adoption will tell you that adopting an adult dog is a better option for inexperienced folks because you know what you are getting. It’s really that simple.

[quote] I came here for help, not to be belittled by lectures and suspicion.[/quote]No one belittled you. Your comments about fearing being baited into adopting troubles dogs are, OTOH, not very nice since we are just telling you the truth, and trying to make you understand very basic principles regarding adopting puppies versus adult dogs that anyone experienced would know. In other words, I’m trying to help you make a well informed decision. You’re very welcome. :s

[quote]You people need to realize that some people aren’t just thoughtless jerks.[/quote]No one said anything like that. You think puppies are better, and please trust me… PLEASE… You could not be further away from the truth. Look it up instead of taking this so personally.

[quote]I know you’re probably jaded because of your experience with strays, but I will not contribute to that problem.[/quote]Again, you’re the one making questionable remarks, here. No one is jaded. Just trying to point you in the right direction, mate. Puppies are like flipping a coin if you are not well versed in training one, while some adult dogs are just wonderful and you know they are before you even take them home. But I’ll be honest with you, I am jaded having to deal with people who just don’t get it, and who react the way you have.

marboulette

Thanks for the dissection. :laughing: If you notice I said “THESE forums” not “this forum”. Nothing I said was meant to target any one person or organization. I’ve raised two puppies myself since childhood and am leaving a dog behind. I know how to raise and take care of dogs, and I know pups. I also dogsitted for neighbors when I was in high school, so I know all kinds and ages. No need to get defensive, I know you’re just doing what you feel you have to. I’m merely saying that I didn’t come onto the forum for the purpose of being judged and corrected. If I don’t know dogs better than you, then trust that I know myself and my situation better than you. :slight_smile:

[quote=“XinBiDe”]
Charlie, the frog sounds intriguing but my girlfriend has forbidden me from accepting your offer. She also just told me a snake is not going to happen. So looks like dogs and rodentia for me.[/quote]

OK. You can have the mice for free and I’ll keep the frog. You gotta deal mister.

hehehe…If we were desperate to give you dogs nobody wants we wouldn’t have been so cautious and asking so many questions.

I get what you’re saying about adult dogs. There are loads of puppies in pounds and young dogs at AnimalsTaiwan…or at BARK. How did you do the long distance thing? I tried that and it crumbled after only a couple of months.

Note that when people say “These forums” they VERY often mean that Forumosa has different forums ie: the Pets forum, the adoption forum, etc. Another good thing would be to familiarize yourself with these forums before you post comments like that. From the short version of the rules: “Familiarize yourself with the site before you start posting.”

And it’s not a matter of knowing your situation better, it’s a matter that you are clearly saying that puppies are a better option in terms of adoption, and not just for YOU, and it’s just not true. If you were that well versed in raising pups, you’d know that. Moreover, if you knew enough, you’d also know that your friend’s negative experience with a re-homed stray is not the norm, it’s the exception.

I’m done here.

marboulette

I’m very happy that you are intending of taking the pet back home if you ever go home. Sorry I’m a bit preachy…have just dealt with too many people dumping their animals or handing them over to friends when they leave. Usually when I walk down the street with my dogs I only hear the little pedigree hairy fluffballs bark…this is also something to think about before getting a dog. Maybe look into what tiny breed dog isn’t so barky? Anything not to bother the neighbors. As you would know from living here…they are fine with construction at 7am and fireworks at 4am, majong through the nights, screaming at each other, vans blaring ads and trashtrucks that sound and look like mini discos

…but don’t let that dog bark!

Note that when people say “These forums” they VERY often mean that Forumosa has different forums ie: the Pets forum, the adoption forum, etc. Another good thing would be to familiarize yourself with these forums before you post comments like that. From the short version of the rules: “Familiarize yourself with the site before you start posting.”

And it’s not a matter of knowing your situation better, it’s a matter that you are clearly saying that puppies are a better option in terms of adoption, and not just for YOU, and it’s just not true. If you were that well versed in raising pups, you’d know that. Moreover, if you knew enough, you’d also know that your friend’s negative experience with a re-homed stray is not the norm, it’s the exception.

I’m done here.

marboulette[/quote]

I’m familiar with Forumosa, but this is really one of my first times looking at the pet message board. I didn’t expect such an enthusiastic welcome party is all. I’ve seen lots of stray dogs in Taiwan. Many are sweet but many are not. I think you’d agree in saying that sometimes it is difficult to know the personality and history of a dog after even a short foster period?
I didn’t mean to explicitly say that in all cases adopting a pup is better than adopting a dog… It really does depend on the person and what they’re prepared for. Pups are a lot of work but very rewarding. I like the feeling of raising a pup, and I know my girlfriend would too. As far as adopting strays goes, I’ve never done it. The dogs I’ve had were “free to good home” puppy mutts! I’m open to adopting a stray but I’m scared of getting one that shows violent tendencies the longer time goes on, or turns out years later to be bad with kids. I’m also afraid of not knowing the real age of the dog and end up taking care of a dog approaching old age. I’d adopt a one year old stray if I knew enough about it, but those are usually the first strays to go. I’m sorry, but adopting an older dog isn’t for me.
I’d have to be a fool not to appreciate your intentions. I know what you want is to give deserving dogs a good home, and I have to commend you. My friend told me though that when she was adopting a dog (in America), people working for the animal shelters tried to get rid of very undesirable dogs on her. Dogs with temper issues and old, sick dogs that they wanted to get rid of but not have to kill. She set up most of her adoption stuff through an online forum. So again, my comment wasn’t directed toward this forum. No one has told me this forum is filled with that kind of con artist, and I am sure you’ll believe that.

And to the other guy,
Yeah, long distance is hard. I don’t know how we did it, but we did. Just 1.5 more months! Our love is more pure than Romeo and Juliet’s, what can I say.

well XinBiDe, i think that you do have good intentions towards adopting a dog, why dont you check the Taipei Animal Shelter, they have 100s of dogs looking for a home, they have pups, older ones, big, small, all colors and flavors !!! just check it and you will see !!!
there are some basic rules there on adoption and you have to sign some papers stating that you will take care of the dog and if you leave the country you will take it with you and things like that…
take a look and let us know how did it go !!! i recently adopted a GR (around 10 months old) and i am so happy with him !!!