Moving to Taiwan with my 5 and 8 year old

[quote=“ariel7120”]How likely is it that the landlord would put you on their Hukou? My uncle found a decent place in those neighborhoods and we are not sure if the landlord would register me on their hukou.

. . .

. . . I need a hukou near Xinsheng . . . because . . . my son will be starting kindergarten without the program [for foreign students].[/quote]

I’ve never had a hukou, so I don’t have any firsthand experience with this subject. I hope someone will come along and post additional information or advice.

Among the long-term residents who have posted here on the subject of changing a hukou for a rented place, there seems to be a difference of opinions about how easy or difficult the process is. Below, I’ll give you a few quotes and excerpts of quotes from long-term residents.

The excerpt immediately below and the full quote below it are from a 2012 thread:

The quotes and excerpts of quotes immediately below are from a 2015 thread:

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 6#p1674736

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 9#p1674749

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 4#p1674804

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 1#p1674811

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 4#p1674814

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 5#p1674815

[quote=“cfimages”]Even taking herself off her family’s one and onto our own was a simple procedure.

I wonder how many just don’t bother trying because they think it’ll be too hard. When we asked landlords about it, there was never any hesitation giving the required documents. In the 6 or so years we’ve been married, the hukou has been changed 4-5 times. [/quote]
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 6#p1674816

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 7#p1674817

[quote=“Dog’s_Breakfast”]We’ve changed our hukous a few times too. It’s always been dead easy. Waiting time at the household registration office: about 10 minutes. No cost other than getting a new photo for your ID card. And yes, husband and wife can register their hukous at different addresses.

Maybe the hukou system has a few flaws, but it’s no “bureaucratic nightmare.” . . . [/quote]
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 9#p1674969

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 0#p1675010

[quote=“Mr He”]Our landlord declares his income on the one I am living in, we even had to go to the notary to get the rental agreement sorted.

He had no issue with or interest when it came to me telling the Immigration Bureau people that I moved in here, aftr all, everything is above the table.

I would think more expensive properties are like tht, who knows?[/quote]
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 8#p1675048

I hope this helps, but again, I also hope that someone comes along and gives additional advice or information (but that is not meant to belittle in any way the dialogue between long-term residents that has taken place on this issue).