Moving to Taoyuan from Japan/Sweden?

its not common. whats common here is no heating. and so a bunch of old people die every winter.

This isn’t Taiwan circa 1970, this is 2018. It is common to have AC units that also heat. They are readily available for purchase island wide and are affordable. If anyone doesn’t have them, that is their own fault / choice.

And it is more like “a couple of” or “a few” old people die from exposure to the cold or heat every year, not “a buch of”. It is also likely those deaths occur because they refuse to turn on or buy an AC / heater to save money. Which, by the way, happens in just about every country.

The vast majority of people on this island do not have this problem.

So many minor things get blown out of proportion or extremely exaggerated on this site.

pls stahp with the drivel.

those types of ACs may be available to buy but it doesn’t mean people buy them, or any other type of heating. i wish it was common and my landlord installed them, they work better than my space heater. heating for most taiwanese people is wearing their jacket indoors.

The article stated “unusually low temperatures blamed for rise in deaths in typically warm region”.

It was an unusuall thing to happen.

Space heaters and portable fans that blow out heat are also common.

My point is, if the OP moves into a flat that does not have heating provided, the OP can easily solve that issue. Same as anyone else here. It gets cold in the winter and hot in the summer. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

that was from 2017. 2016 was even colder. this year had a lot of deaths too. more than a couple. apartments here do not come with pre installed heating. which is why i brought up the deaths every winter. sure you can buy a space heater(not cheap) or reinstall all your AC units (not cheap nor easy) but at the end of the day the winters here are a pain in the ass due to the buildings not being designed to deal with it.

2 Likes

Loads of old people die in Winter cos they get cold, their blood thickens and they get strokes and die. See the funeral tents all over the countryside towns after a cold snap . Saw it happen to an in-law here.

Not sure I’d call Roppongi luxurious (yeah there are some nice malls/high rises), Omotesando probably more what you are going for.

Agree that OP should look for Kaoshiung or somewhere very remote with lots of nature. If he thinks Tokyo is too polluted do no go to Taipei.

:thinking:

1 Like

note or. ANyway just noticed this is a two years old necroed thread so he likely did not make to Taiwan.

1 Like

Guy seems naive/delusional. Wish him and his wife well though, but yeah probably didn’t make it here.

2 Likes

It’s one of those things you rarely hear said: I’m thinking of moving from Japan/Sweden to Taoyuan.

3 Likes

Most of Kaoshiung is very urban and more air/water/ ground polluted than almost any city in Japan, I am saying this as someone who likes living here in Kaoshiung. I do wish Taiwan could have the clean tap water like Japan, ten years ago I thought maybe by 2020 , now not in my life time which is too bad as it rains a lot like Japan (all the wasted water)

His wife sounds… precious.