MP3 player debates

Yet another IPOD update

[quote]Apple also said it is merging its iPod and iPod photo lines, so all models will now have color displays that can view photos and play slideshows.

The 20-gigabyte model can hold about 5,000 songs and costs $299, while the 60-gigabyte version holds 25,000 songs and sells for $399. That means customers will get a photo model for about the same price they previously paid for the standard, black-and-white screen.[/quote]

I broke my Ipod and cant be bothered to get it fixed. Besides I want the video one.

Here’s the problem. I’ve been looking at the Creative Zen model and it seems to blow Ipod out the water. You can expand the memory. Remove the battery,etc.

Anyone out there can give me their opinion on both products. Pros and Cons.

Thanks

Cons: Can’t run Linux.

[quote=“Namahottie”]I broke my Ipod and can’t be bothered to get it fixed. Besides I want the video one.

Here’s the problem. I’ve been looking at the Creative Zen model and it seems to blow Ipod out the water. You can expand the memory. Remove the battery,etc.

Thanks[/quote]
Can’t comment on the Zen other than it looks like an iPod ripoff, but I think Creative products are very low quality. I’ve often had to return several of their products over the years shortly after purchase. I’m lovin’ the video iPod which replaces my 2G model. I don’t use the video much except to keep students occupied while I’m marking papers.

[quote=“naijeru”][quote=“Namahottie”]I broke my Ipod and can’t be bothered to get it fixed. Besides I want the video one.

Thanks[/quote]
Can’t comment on the Zen other than it looks like an iPod ripoff, but I think Creative products are very low quality. I’ve often had to return several of their products over the years shortly after purchase. I’m lovin’ the video iPod which replaces my 2G model. I don’t use the video much except to keep students occupied while I’m marking papers.[/quote]

But I’ve noticed that with the Zen model, you can hook it up to the tv, replace the battery. Add additional storage. Takes other formats aside from IPOD which only uses MEPG 4. Also, you can listen and record from the radio. Ipod doesn’t have any of that.

Anyone else have thoughts. But thanks naijeu for your imput.

[quote]But I’ve noticed that with the Zen model, you can hook it up to the tv, replace the battery. Add additional storage. Takes other formats aside from IPOD which only uses MEPG 4. Also, you can listen and record from the radio. Ipod doesn’t have any of that.

Anyone else have thoughts. But thanks naijeu for your imput.[/quote]

i’ve owned an 2g ipod, a creative jbn and now a creative muvo. got rid of the ipod. i’d have to say that ipod is good but not that good. it’s mostly hype and fashion. it has huge drawbacks like previous poster noted (lack of radio, poor battery life, costly to remove or change battery).

creative was the first company to come up with decent mp3 player. their njb was da bomb! i like their products very much. i currently use a muvo. it’s more than enough for the 3000nt i paid for it. muvo is a portable mp3 player (the size of a matchstick box), ipods are portable hard drives. they are super fragile. i drop my muvo all the time, i coudnt care less.
new flash based memory nano looks good but price is too high… if linux (rockbox) can be flashed on a nano, than it could be a great player.

Well you can flash linux onto the nano. Someone did that and now you play video on your nano(would you want to?)If you want to see it in action do a video google search for it.

The new ipods have a radio on it, but you have to buy the new earphones to use it, as that is where the antenna are.(who listens to the radio here anyways?)

video ipod can run mpg4 and h264(i think) video. If you have quicktime or ton of other free programs, it can convert anything you got into those formats fast.

I’m pretty sure you can hook up the ipod to your TV, but i think its only for photos. 320x240 video doesn’t look great on a 27" TV.

[quote=“Frost”]Well you can flash linux onto the nano. Someone did that and now you play video on your nano(would you want to?)If you want to see it in action do a video google search for it.

The new ipods have a radio on it, but you have to buy the new earphones to use it, as that is where the antenna are.(who listens to the radio here anyways?)

video ipod can run mpg4 and h264(I think) video. If you have quicktime or ton of other free programs, it can convert anything you got into those formats fast.

[/quote]

What ipods? The one’s with video? Can you post a link or picture? Thanks

I was only talking about the 30gig or 60gig video ipod.

iPod Apple Site

iPod Accessories