MRT/HSR unlimited tickets help

Long story short a truck rear ended me and my car will need to be repaired. Then a family member will be borrowing my car for two months for a temporary assignment down south. I need to travel a lot in Taoyuan and Taipei and would like unlimited travel on the MRTs and maybe the HSR. What special tickets are available, how much, and what are the conditions?
It’s gonna suck, but at least I’ll save a bunch of gas money.
Thanks

For Taipei metro there is the unlimited pass (1280 per month I think) but it doesn’t include the Taoyuan metro

3 Likes

Language!

1 Like

I did some checking and the HSR won’t be convenient. So 1280 plus Taoyuan, which has a 35% off 60 day card. I’ll probably save 5 or 6 thousand in gas.

Thanks

It’s $1280

1 Like

Where in Taoyuan specifically? Or is it citywide?

1 Like

I think anywhere except HSR. I’m not familiar with it though. I’ve always driven everywhere.

Off topic…
Did you hear about the Plex data breach?

Well. The HSR only goes to one part of Jhongli and the MRT only covers a bit more of Jhongli, Luzhu and Dayuan cause it’s only one line. So it depends where you’re going roughly. If the MRT is taking you to where you wanna go, great! If not, then since I know Taoyuan’s transit fairly well, I could suggest the most convenient routes.

Yep. Got an email today.

1 Like

I need to get to Dayuan and it goes straight there. Plus I can park my scooter there for $16/day.

I forgot about parking. That will save another $4000 plus a month.

Yeah, you’re going to be backtracking using the HSR.

1 Like

WAY off-topic, but I’m somewhat glad to know it’s not just me who got that. (Because I logged into Plex for the first time in a while yesterday, and the timing of that email was oddly coincidental.)

1 Like

If you need to go from Taipei to Dayuan then you can take the bus 1961 or 1842

Information about the All Pass Ticket :

The ticket is valid for unlimited travel on the Taipei Metro, Danhai LRT, and all buses (except on those charging by distance) in the Greater Taipei area within its validity period. Cardholders also enjoy the first 30 minutes of any YouBike rental session within the Greater Taipei area for free (registration required). Valid for only one passenger at a time.

To purchase the All Pass, simply bring a standard EasyCard, Co-branded EasyCard, or Debit EasyCard (for cards with expiration dates, the remaining duration must be longer than 60 days) to ticket vending/add-value machines or the information counter at MRT stations. Once you’ve purchased the All Pass, you can activate the card at the fare gate in MRT stations or via the EasyCard readers when taking public buses. (WARNING: The All Pass cannot be activated at YouBike stations.)

sources and more info

Taipei Rapid Transit Corporation ─ Metro Service
大有巴士股份有限公司
http://www.transtaipei.idv.tw/r1/lkingbus/z1842.htm
https://www.travel.taipei/en/news/details/17227

2 Likes

1280 ticket don’t work for 4 digit buses because those charge by distance. It also don’t include taoyuan metro.

2 Likes

And you get to rest while in transit rather than constantly thinking and concentrating. Plus no delays time wise.

If it works out, think it might be a permanent change? saving nearly 10k a month seems pretty nice, especially with more rest in transit.

That’s exactly what I’m thinking. I bought a cheap Chromebook to get work done while I commute. Not sure how that’s going to go because I’ve always used desktops at work and home. If it doesn’t bother me, I probably will make it permanent.

1 Like

Sounds almost too good to be true! as a scooter driver, my only worry would be heavy rains. spend a k or 2 on real rain gear and it sounds like a fantastic situation! One of the biggest perks of being up north is the amazing public transport. at least to me. everytime I go there, I park the car on arrival and just use all the public transport options. quite convenient! And waaaaay cheaper than gas, parking, maintenance and the random accidents.

That’s the issue. In Dayuan I’ll need to ride the scooter up to 20 minutes. If it’s stormy, that sucks.

Ya. if I am travelling for work I bring a bag of spare clothes on scooters. my only worry would be if bringing things like a laptop. then maybe back to taking taxis or busses sometimes.

Good idea. I have a nice rain suit, but having a spare pair of clothes in my scooter and another pair at work is a good idea. Maybe a pair of sandals to wear so my shoes don’t get wet too.

I finally bought both MRT cards and figured out the price per month. Driving I was spending 15,000/mo. The two MRT cards are 3,700/mo plus a few hundred in scooter gas and parking, so 4500/mo. That’s 10,500/mo in savings. I just got a 20,000/mo raise to add onto that. I got the four month Taoyuan card, so I’m stuck doing until Chinese New Year. Hoping for the best.

2 Likes

Congrats!