MRT stations to use Hanyu Pinyin

The United Daily News is reporting today that the MRT will adopt Hanyu Pinyin :smiley: , with Tongyong Pinyin following in parentheses for stations in Taipei County :frowning: .

I’ll provide a link soon.

English version of the story here:
www.taiwanheadlines.com/20030114/20030114s6.html

From the TT:
The TRTC also plans to number each line, with the Muzha line designated Line 1, the Tamsui line as Line 2, the Chungho line as Line 3, and the Panchiao line as Line 5. Because the sound of the Mandarin word for “four” is associated with bad luck by some, there will be no Line 4. The original line names will also be retained.

Oh, those poor newbies searching in vain for Line # 4. :smiling_imp:

As if the different rominizations were not enough cause for confusion already.

A definite: Only in Taiwan.

A small but significant victory for common sense. Well in relation to Pinyin anyway. Don’t know why they have to number the lines when they are already colour-coded.

If Taiwan had ever used proper Wade-Giles an argument could be made in favour of retaining any W-G spellings, but as it hasn’t Pinyin is surely the way to go.

[quote=“Alleycat”]From the TT:
A definite: Only in Taiwan.[/quote]

Let me know the next time you find a 13th floor in any hotel in the US

[quote=“Alleycat”]From the TT:
The TRTC also plans to number each line…As if the different rominizations were not enough cause for confusion already.[/quote]
Oh Gawd, it’s the Boulevards department at it again. I mean, it wouldn’t take a genius to call them the Red Line, Brown Line, Green Line etc., would it? Duh!

• Yes, I know Hexuan just said it. He, Alleycat and I all posted at the same time.

[quote=“cranky laowai”]The United Daily News is reporting today that the MRT will adopt Hanyu Pinyin :smiley: , with Tongyong Pinyin following in parentheses for stations in Taipei County :frowning: .

I’ll provide a link soon.[/quote]

Great for the KMT they should be happy that Taipei’s MRT will look like Communist China’s now. KMT Mayor Ma scored one for the Pan Blue Pro Commie China crowd.

Always nice to have a bit of comic relief, Hobart :laughing:

What’s wrong with naming the lines. Like in London: Bakerloo, Metropolitan etc.

Er…hello! They have got names…Danshui, Muzha etc. :unamused:

Yes. I know that. Wasn’t thunking.