MSG allergy- any suggestions?

Ask for no MSG when you are in a restaurant.

And then wait for the laughs.

I suspect that many cheap eateries that use it don’t even know what it is or that they’re using it.

It doesn’t matter either way.

If you can tell us which areas you are working and living, we might be able to recommend a few places.

That said, regarding cost, it has been increasing. 300 a day is average/doable. 300 a meal is good food in general.

Vegetarian self serve like National or Mingde do not use MSG.

1 Like

Well it matters because you tell them not to use it, they say (or think) they don’t use it, and you end up ingesting huge amounts of it

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: MSG allergy/sensitivity discussion

When I lived in Taiwan, if I ate out for both lunch and dinner at a typical cheap restaurant, or I ate out for one meal two days in a row, I would be guaranteed to wake up with a horrible tummy ache the next day. At first I thought I just needed time to get used to the food, but it continued after three to four years. Might that have been an adverse reaction to MSG or was it because of the oil? I’ve looked up MSG allergy symptoms online and there seems to be a big list of things that didn’t happen to me - all I had were tummy aches.

Please remember a few years ago it was discovered most oil was tainted with plastic, was not suitable for human comsumption or simply expired.

Yea, search this site for food scares, and there are hundreds of reports of things that could be causing reactions.

I got severe “migraine” if my food has MSG so every time I order food need to tell them not to add MSG. Severe migraine to the point that it takes me at least 3~4 days in pain and even if I drink lots of water to flush it down still meaningless the pain makes me disabled person.