MSI vs Gigabyte vs ASUS

Laptops and graphics cards/motherboards

Who makes the better products?

I have an ASUS Sabertooth X58 motherboard that is going strong for 7 years now. I got it in the states and remember I didn’t pay more than 150USD for it. Processor is more important in my opinion.

Had a Gigabyte graphics card that I kind of broke after 2.5-3 years of use, but that was my fault because I had it run something it was barely capable of running.

Tbh, I think it’s personal preference. I was very indecisive on brand when I was building my PC awhile ago, but I just ended up buying whatever was a good deal.

As for laptops…I also have a 6 year old Asus brick that really hasn’t gone to the fritz. The audio jack is broken, so I can’t use headphones and it’s gotten hella slow, but other than that I can watch Netflix on it, do web browsing and I also use it as a hard drive to store some pics while I’m on vacation.

Probably like Adidas vs Nike.

P.S Nike is better.

My previous notebook was an MSI: not recommended. Screen, keyboard lousy, running very hot. Using a Lenovo now, which is a lot better and not even that expensive.

Asus makes decent to great stuff. Wouldn’t hesitate to buy a mobo or other components from them, especially the more upmarket stuff.

Until now I never had a bad experience with Asus. Laptop and Desktop.

I like them both :stuck_out_tongue:

Laptops I have no idea, but mainboards I feel qualified to comment: they all rather suck, but many end users won’t care or notice. It’s basically luck if you see issues or not - not brand.

My qualification? I come from mainboard development and have been working with Taiwanese mainboard manufacturers for 10+ years, reviewing their designs, telling them what to improve, and basically making sure they are (or become) fit for use in first tier branded professional products like thin clients, PCs, workstations and servers. I’ve worked with all these brands above, and others.

Basically, for the schematics, you can be lucky if you have a good design team’s product, or unlucky. For the layout, most is outsourced to China, Vietnam, … And again you can get lucky or not. There are trillions of ways to fu*k up a design, and for most consumer mainboards you won’t get the most experienced layouters assigned.

Sorry for the long rant. Basically, we end users / consumers are fu*ked. We are millions, but don’t have a common voice. If 1000 of us have the same issue, the Manufacturer has to replace 1000 mainboards. The professional products where much more design efforts are spent on go to big customers, where 1000 defective mainboards mean that tens or hundreds of thousands need to be exchanged. Thus, they pay more attention.

So my hint: if you want to minimize your chances for problems, buy professional hardware. Not fancy lights and overclocking, but solid, reliable, boring hardware. Even then you have enough potential for troubles…

Professional hardware = the professional series of tier 1 brands. Like HP, Dell, Lenovo, Fujitsu - and not their consumer products.

1 Like

Where can you order professional hardware online?

I would guess pchome. Let me check :slight_smile:

Here are some brands and product line names. Looking forward to the comments “gasp …but I can get the same specs much cheaper built myself or by some random vendor in BaDe Lu” :rofl:

Professional PCs:
HP: PChome 24h購物 - 商品搜尋
HP ProDesk: PChome 24h購物 - 商品搜尋
Fujitsu Esprimo (I only see one PC though, The “TX” is a server) PChome 24h購物 - 商品搜尋
Dell Optiplex (I mostly see Workstation and servers though) PChome 24h購物 - 商品搜尋
Lenovo ThinkCentre: PChome 24h購物 - 商品搜尋
Acer Veriton: PChome 24h購物 - 商品搜尋

Professional Notebooks:
HP ProBook: PChome 24h購物 - 商品搜尋
Fujitsu Lifebook: PChome 24h購物 - 商品搜尋
Dell Latitude: PChome 24h購物 - 商品搜尋
Lenovo ThinkPad: PChome 24h購物 - 商品搜尋
Acer TravelMate: PChome 24h購物 - 商品搜尋
Toshiba Tecra: PChome 24h購物 - 商品搜尋

I buy cheap motherboards from all brands and just replace them when they break. They usually last 3-4 years, but sometimes much longer. I use all of them. The fact is that they might come from the same factories anyway.