MTB or Gravel bike?

Presently in UK using my Santa Cruz Superlight full suspension bike that I plan to ship to Taiwan when I return.

However present riding conditions where I am a gravel bike would be better option to use.
Cycle routes here go from road to gravel frequently and suspension bike on road is a pain and slow, even with front suspension locked out and rear set firm.

I’m pondering wether to sell the Santa Cruz and build a gravel bike or buy ready made.
Then again I feel a MTB would be better for me to take to Taiwan?
Then I’ll have my road bike that I have bought Di gear set for and a I think cool MTB.
I’m hoping to return December or early 2022.

Bikes currently appear to be on a “pay now, receive in 2023” basis.

Stick with what you’ve got, in my opinion.

1 Like

Definitely consider bringing over what you have, but would just bring what you need to build the road bike.

Not too many chances to ride gravel or mtn bike unless you throw the bike in the car and drive out.

I have my road bike in Taipei at friends apartment. I’ve bought Di2 gear set for it in UK.

I’m returning with minimal luggage as I left most behind, so plan to bring bike on flight, I’ll not get much selling in UK and will have nowhere safe to store it.

I am riding a MTB in Taiwan since 1997, set it up for road use with lighter wheels, smaller tires and hydraulic rim brakes (that’s all there was back then).
Has seen at least 50.000 km if not more.

Nowadays it is just one of my various bikes, but I still love to ride it, probably my favorit, super comfy, and nothing goes faster down Yangminshan than a flat-bar.

2 Likes

There aren’t that many gravel roads in Taiwan. It’s either nicely paved roads that are suitable for a road bike, or steep, rooted hiking trails on which you’d best be on a full suspension MTB to ride. The only reason to get a gravel bike here is to lower your chances of getting a puncture on paved roads. Of course you can also venture into remote areas where the roads may have a concrete surface, but those are rare.

1 Like

Even on concrete, modern road bikes with wider tires will do just fine.

Bet you can’t buy them any more! Smart looking bike.
I have More confidence riding fast downhill on a flat bar.

Seems best to ship MTB over with me.

Gravel best for where I am presently, North of England getting cold probably not going to be doing that much riding now.

Around Taichung I tend to disagree. Most things they call mtb trails are for people without any skills. Can easily be done with proper tires on a gravel bike with modern geometry (think Mondraker forward geometry/Nicolai Geometron).
So many tiny roads around here that absolutely rattle you through - the big roads have good surface but many cars, the small mountain roads are most suitable for slick 35mm tires. Add some nobs on the side that only engage in turns if you like for added security.

Now a modern enduro bike, 180mm up front, 63° head angle, 490mm reach on a M/L size, that would open up some real nice trails for multi day tours ABOVE 3000m. Above 3000m is where trails get much better suited than below. But yeah you need to be confident on singletrail scale 4 terrain. So if you’re just a bikepark shredder, not able to do some basic things like endo/nose turn forget it. You don’t need a full trial skill set. Side hops and so on are rarely needed.