MTC 1-on-1 class

Hi,

Does anyone have experience with the one on one classes at NTNU MTC? Thinking of switching because I don’t feel like I get enough opportunities to talk during my group class. It has to be at NTNU so I can use my class credits to switch.

I’ve done them and thought they were pretty good. You need to be motivated and do lots of prep to get the most out of it though. I once did 2 hours a day for four weeks and was needing to do at least 3 hours of prep per class.

Have you done any of the group classes? Would you be able to say if one is better than the other for learning, especially in regards to speaking skills? I’m getting a bit frustrated by not getting feedback from my group class teacher about proper pronunciation.

NTU’s MTC is awful. Don’t spend money there.

That’s cause they only care about money. They don’t care about the holes in your knowledge. They once told me to go learn outside.

Had you been drawing on the walls with crayons again? :grin:

1 Like

So, just to be clear, we’re talking about MTC at NTNU.

No, I’ve never taken their group classes. But I’ve actually never taken a group class at all. I once did a two-person class for a bit but got frustrated with the other student not doing enough prep/checking vocab on his phone/pronouncing stuff wrong.

I’ve had two different teachers at NTNU and they’ve both been very old school, which suits me a lot (progressive education methods make learning “fun” but are largely ineffective).

If you are a conscientious student, you will find the one-on-one lessons stressful but effective.

You can always sign up for the minimum number of classes and if you don’t like it switch teachers, go somewhere else or go back to a group class.

You’re me twenty years ago. What I finally found that worked was to hire a college student with good conversational skills to come to my office three days a week and just talk with me and correct my errors. I would prepare for each session by writing down sentences during the work day I wanted to be able to say in Mandarin and just show them to my tutor. Only rule was no spoken English. We could draw pictures, use pantomine, or, if desperate, write things down in English but that was it.

3 Likes

Yes, i did it many years ago. its quite effective but requires a lot of homework time. In the end, a lot depends on the teacher and text book you choose, so YMMV, but for me it was a good experience. I took an upper intermediate class (level 7).