Mufflers

Hey all,

So I recently got a new scooter and I went to a performance shop and the guy was really pushing a new muffler on me. My mechanic went with me and he says that they do work= increased performance. I have read on Forumosa by others that all they really do is make your scooter louder not faster. I have also read that improved exhaust flow will improve the perfomance of your scooter. Hypothetically speaking if one were to install an after market muffler would they be able to get improived performance from their scooter. I see a lot of scooters around with these types of mufflers and some are louder than others there are basically the silver and the black ones. The silver ones being the louder of the two. I am interested in boosting the perfomance of my scooter as legally as possible. But at the same time I don’t want it to sound like a Harley Davidson. I don’t mind a loud scooter just not one that’s too loud. Any recommendations.

stare

After-market exhausts are illegal. Cops routinely set up roadblocks specifically to catch riders with add-on pipes (because its a nice easy job). They don’t impound the bike but they dish out fines and will also bust you at the same time if you don’t have a local license.

After-market exhausts are illegal. Cops routinely set up roadblocks specifically to catch riders with add-on pipes (because its a nice easy job). They don’t impound the bike but they dish out fines and will also bust you at the same time if you don’t have a local license.[/quote]

I wouldn’t worry about that at all, seriously…being a foreigner. Worst case is that you would have to pay a small fine (under $500, and that is if your scooter is registered in your name). If you want to get technical any peice of aftermarket light, wing, color, performance piece or change on your car or scooter in Taiwan is illegal…but how many do you see. Give me a break!! I would worry more about getting into an accident before I worried about a cop pulling you over and actually giving you a fine for an exhaust.

On the note of an exhaust giving you performance, well you will not be able to notice much if anything. It might give you a smoother responce, but that is it. Yes an exhaust for a scooter mainly gives you sound.

Lots and lots, you’re right. I’m just saying, since he specifically mentioned the legality. And they certainly issue tickets – lots and lots. If that doesn’t bother you, fine, but since the OP mentioned the legal aspect, I felt he might want to know about it.
There’s your break. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

What if you get an after market muffler that isn’t one of those loud ones, but still improves performance. However little the increase may be do you think the cops wil still bust you.

stare

I wouldn’t bother with a pipe for a scooter unless it was in combination with other enhancements. The power difference would be very slight, it would cost more than it’s worth, you then have to worry (however slightly) about cops giving you fines and your bike with a shiny new aftermarket pipe would be that much more attractive to thieves.

I have to agree with some of the previous post about this topic. On a scooter an aftermarket muffler is pretty much useless for increase in noticable power. They are more for looks and sound. If you really want more power and kick, get new pulleys or bearings, or a bore kit.

Hey KawasakiRider,

I’ve heard of scooter pulleys and bearings but I’m not very familiar with them. Are the bearings whats in the wheel or rim? And the pulley I have no idea about. What exactly do they do? If you know any prices and manufactures let me know. I have heard of Malossi but they are very expensive from what I’ve seen, probably because they are imported from Italy.

Thanks
stare

I’d search the site a little more. This has been discussed at some length before.

Here’s one: [forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … ods#221848](Scooter Mods