Multiple-entry visa Q; also, 8-month overstay

So my American roommate has been telling me about his master plan for saving money on visa runs. First, he says he has a 60-day multiple entry visa valid until 2010. He claims that this means that until 2010, he can have an unlimited number of 60-day stays, and all he has to do is leave the country before the 60-day period is up. I was always under the impression that it only means he has until 2010 to use his visa ONCE; and after he enters Taiwan, he can stay for a maximum of 60 days, during which time he can leave and return as many times as he likes. After the 60 day period, he has to apply for a new visa. Which one of us is right?

Also, he has already overstayed his visa by about eight months, because he talked to a police officer who told him that all he has to do is pay a $10,000 fine before he has overstayed by 365 days, and as long as he pays before he leaves Taiwan then it’s no problem. Since he has a multiple-entry visa, he doesn’t even need to worry about re-applying for one, and he can simply hop on a plane to Hong Kong and take the next flight back, then he can overstay his visa for another 364 days and repeat the process until 2010. I’m pretty sure that when he goes in to pay his fine, they will void his visa; or at the least, they will write a note on it stating that he overstayed by 364 days; and when the Taiwanese customs officer sees that, he will deny entry and tell my roommate to take the next flight back to the States.

I guess the real question here is, should I be looking for a new roommate in about four months? :stuck_out_tongue:

If his current visa is anything like the 60-day renewable 5-year visa I had when I first came to Taiwan, you can leave and return as often as you want until the visa expires. (You can also extend the 60-day periods twice.)

But many things may have changed since those halcyon days of yore.

As for the overstay, he will have to pay a fine, but he also may well have his visa cancelled upon departure and be barred from re-entry for a year or so. Overstaying should NEVER be done, barring the direst of medical emergencies. The law does not take kindly to being scoffed at.

[quote=“Nibble”]So my American roommate has been telling me about his master plan for saving money on visa runs. First, he says he has a 60-day multiple entry visa valid until 2010. He claims that this means that until 2010, he can have an unlimited number of 60-day stays, and all he has to do is leave the country before the 60-day period is up. I was always under the impression that it only means he has until 2010 to use his visa ONCE; and after he enters Taiwan, he can stay for a maximum of 60 days, during which time he can leave and return as many times as he likes. After the 60 day period, he has to apply for a new visa. Which one of us is right?

Also, he has already overstayed his visa by about eight months, because he talked to a police officer who told him that all he has to do is pay a $10,000 fine before he has overstayed by 365 days, and as long as he pays before he leaves Taiwan then it’s no problem. Since he has a multiple-entry visa, he doesn’t even need to worry about re-applying for one, and he can simply hop on a plane to Hong Kong and take the next flight back, then he can overstay his visa for another 364 days and repeat the process until 2010. I’m pretty sure that when he goes in to pay his fine, they will void his visa; or at the least, they will write a note on it stating that he overstayed by 364 days; and when the Taiwanese customs officer sees that, he will deny entry and tell my roommate to take the next flight back to the States.

I guess the real question here is, should I be looking for a new roommate in about four months? :p[/quote]

what a retard…as if you can overstay and then come back on a multi-entry visa…was he talking to a clown policeman?

More importantly since when are police officers in charge of immigration?

This cop must have really hated the guy.

:roflmao: I don’t know what else to say, but I guess he should’ve spent some time reading up on how it all works… what a moron…

[quote=“Nibble”] Since he has a multiple-entry visa, he doesn’t even need to worry about re-applying for one, and he can simply hop on a plane to Hong Kong and take the next flight back, then he can overstay his visa for another 364 days and repeat the process until 2010. I’m pretty sure that when he goes in to pay his fine, they will void his visa; or at the least, they will write a note on it stating that he overstayed by 364 days; and when the Taiwanese customs officer sees that, he will deny entry and tell my roommate to take the next flight back to the States.

I guess the real question here is, should I be looking for a new roommate in about four months? :p[/quote]

Once he leaves they will cancel his visa at immigration at the airport and he will be barred from re-entering Taiwan.

Do not pass go… straight to jail… is also a possibility.

They will deport him back to the country he tried t enter from… most likely HK as thats where most people go.

What if he just never leaves? Will immigration hunt him down and deport him? Or are they sitting tight, waiting for him to come to the airport so they can fine him?

And then, at the airport, is it true that you have to pay the fine before you can leave the country? So if you don’t pay, you can’t leave? Then, are you forced to stay in the country?

So let’s stay he decides to stay here indefinitely. He’ll eventually have to get a job. How long has someone sustained themselves working illegal jobs? You can’t get new visas nor permits in Taiwan on an expired visa, right?

(Is this all answered in other posts? No, I didn’t search. I just figured someone would want to share all their information with us again, since we all love to share our two cents around here. :+) If you have some links for me to read though, please point me in the right direction.)

[quote=“ichbinjenny”]What if he just never leaves? Will immigration hunt him down and deport him? Or are they sitting tight, waiting for him to come to the airport so they can fine him?

And then, at the airport, is it true that you have to pay the fine before you can leave the country? So if you don’t pay, you can’t leave? Then, are you forced to stay in the country?

So let’s stay he decides to stay here indefinitely. He’ll eventually have to get a job. How long has someone sustained themselves working illegal jobs? You can’t get new visas nor permits in Taiwan on an expired visa, right?

(Is this all answered in other posts? No, I didn’t search. I just figured someone would want to share all their information with us again, since we all love to share our two cents around here. :+) If you have some links for me to read though, please point me in the right direction.)[/quote]

So you like supporting criminals who overstay visa’s? If he can’t pay the fine at the airport they take him to the immigration detention center nt let hom back out on the streets.

I knew a guy who overstayed by 9 years, Cost him a ton of money to leave and some time in detention. I tell you what… just overstay and find out what happens,. All this posted so search.

I had my ARC Cancelled in 1988 ( no not expired ) and have been here ever since. :smiley:

He’ll be detained in beautiful Sanxia, mountains and forrests all around the place … not bad. :wink:

[quote=“Nibble”]So my American roommate has been telling me about his master plan for saving money on visa runs. First, he says he has a 60-day multiple entry visa valid until 2010. He claims that this means that until 2010, he can have an unlimited number of 60-day stays, and all he has to do is leave the country before the 60-day period is up. I was always under the impression that it only means he has until 2010 to use his visa ONCE; and after he enters Taiwan, he can stay for a maximum of 60 days, during which time he can leave and return as many times as he likes. After the 60 day period, he has to apply for a new visa. Which one of us is right?[/quote]A multiple entry visa means he can come back in over and over, each time for 60 days, just like he thinks.

[quote=“Nibnuts”]Also, he has already overstayed his visa by about eight months, because he talked to a police officer who told him that all he has to do is pay a $10,000 fine before he has overstayed by 365 days, and as long as he pays before he leaves Taiwan then it’s no problem. Since he has a multiple-entry visa, he doesn’t even need to worry about re-applying for one, and he can simply hop on a plane to Hong Kong and take the next flight back, then he can overstay his visa for another 364 days and repeat the process until 2010. I’m pretty sure that when he goes in to pay his fine, they will void his visa; or at the least, they will write a note on it stating that he overstayed by 364 days; and when the Taiwanese customs officer sees that, he will deny entry and tell my roommate to take the next flight back to the States.

Insane. They won’t let him back in. He’ll be lucky if he’s not arrested. And as for getting a new visa… With an overstay of a day or two, you just have to write a letter explaining the circumstances, and if reasonable they’ll give you a new visa. His excuse is not reasonable, though.

Your friend is a complete retard. I love how people come up with such ideas and think they are smarter than the law, government, etc. I would imagine your friend is similar to the idiots in the US who don’t pay their taxes for years, go to court, and then tell the judge that the framers of the constitution forbade taxes. Those people go to prison, and so will your friend. I hope that you just encourage him to try his stupid plan and that he spends a bit of time in jail.

I have to admit this is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever heard while in Taiwan.

If it was that easy, everyone in similar circumstances would be doing it.