Multiple Entry Visitor Visa and Immigration Clarification

I’m coming to Taiwan as a self-employed investor this September and now have my multi entry visitor visa. I want to make absolutely double asbestos-underpants sure that nothing stupid goes wrong at this stage, so I have two questions about my visa:

1. the visa is valid until 12th December. I can renew this twice for 60 days each time, correct? As it’s a multi entry visa, I take it I can fly to Hong Kong at the beginning of December, re-enter Taiwan before the 12th and reset the whole process? So effectively, I will have until May/June 2006 to sort out my FIA and resident visa (extension to December, then re-entry for 60 days + 2 extensions)?

2. will immigration at CKS airport need to see a return ticket of some description, even though I’m clearly arriving in Taiwan with the intention to invest and apply for a resident visa? I have an excellent relationship with MOEA both in the UK and Taiwan so the TRO and MOEA branch office have kindly provided a letter confirming my reason for entering Taiwan. Will this be enough? I bought a one-way ticket to Taipei because obviously I can’t pinpoint exactly when I will get my resident visa. I have some people to see in Tokyo so as soon as the FIA etc. is done I can leave and re-enter via Japan.

Thanks guys!

The visa actually expires on December 12? That seems tricky. I’d talk to an attorney, or better yet someone who has guanxi at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Unless things have changed in the past couple of years, experience tells me that different ministries have their own turf and their own rules. (Sometimes this works to our advantage–e.g., the tax bureau couldn’t care less if you’re here illegally, as long as they get their pound of flesh.) But in your case, I’d keep in mind that MoFA might take your letter into consideration, but it might not. Best to ask someone who really knows.

Sorry, by ‘expiry’ I mean the ‘enter before’ date. From how I understand the Taiwan visa system, as long as you enter before this date you can stay as long as permitted by renewals. For example, I entered Taiwan on a visitor visa to study. The ‘enter before’ date was about 20 days after I arrived, but I renewed once for a total stay of 100 days.

No matter how good my relationship with MOEA/MOFA, there’s absolutely no point asking them because they will still give me innacurate information. In fact, moreso because they are eager to please rather than admit ignorance.

[quote=“Sam Vimes”]The visa actually expires on December 12? That seems tricky. I’d talk to an attorney, or better yet someone who has guanxi at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Unless things have changed in the past couple of years, experience tells me that different ministries have their own turf and their own rules. (Sometimes this works to our advantage–e.g., the tax bureau couldn’t care less if you’re here illegally, as long as they get their pound of flesh.) But in your case, I’d keep in mind that MoFA might take your letter into consideration, but it might not. Best to ask someone who really knows.[/quote]

Well Ilary, this is what I did when I had a multiple entry extendable 60 day visa.

I extended it twice 60 days and than before the second extension would expire I went out of Taiwan and came back and the visa would start all over again, first 60 days than twice extended for 60 days until again just befor expiration of the second 60 days. Left Taiwan and came back before the actual visa would expire being in my case 1 year.

Some countries are issued 5 years (US) others only 6 months, most however are valid for 1 year.

In fact with a one year multiple entry and extendable you can stay in Taiwan for almost 15 months or longer if done the right way.

Expiration date of December is the that on which you should enter Taiwan the first time, otherwise you need to apply for a new one, so September is within that date so here no probs. :slight_smile:

That’s the difference in talking with someone at the ministry, and talking to someone with connections in the ministry. You will learn, Grasshopper.

Job’s a good’un then :slight_smile:

British citizens only get 6 month validity because of the (lack of) reciprocal agreements, but I can squeeze nearly a year out of my 60 day extendable visa this way. That’s plenty to relax, get sorted and do most of the FIA/visa applications myself as planned.

I hope you’ll have some tea waiting for me :slight_smile:

[quote=“belgian pie”]Well Ilary, this is what I did when I had a multiple entry extendable 60 day visa.

I extended it twice 60 days and than before the second extension would expire I went out of Taiwan and came back and the visa would start all over again, first 60 days than twice extended for 60 days until again just befor expiration of the second 60 days. Left Taiwan and came back before the actual visa would expire being in my case 1 year.

Some countries are issued 5 years (US) others only 6 months, most however are valid for 1 year.

In fact with a one year multiple entry and extendable you can stay in Taiwan for almost 15 months or longer if done the right way.

Expiration date of December is the that on which you should enter Taiwan the first time, otherwise you need to apply for a new one, so September is within that date so here no probs. :slight_smile:[/quote]