Multiple reentry permit separate from ARC card?

The TECO back home said that the multiple reentry permit was a separate thing from the ARC. Is it still, or do the new ARC cards function as the multiple reentry permit?

The new ARC cards function as a multiple reentry permit. It even states so on the card. Another useless TECO. :fume:

Thanks, Donnie. Also, Dude, Chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature.

When traveling abroad … never ever leave the ARC/PARC at home or lose it … it’s needed to re-enter Taiwan.

The TECO is correct, so it’s not really “another useless TECO,” but rather “another incomplete explanation on Forumosa” - they seem to be a dime a dozen.

An ARC and a Multiple Re-entry Permit are separate things. One is a residence certificate that verifies the bearer’s residence in Taiwan. Another is a permit that allows the bearer to leave and re-enter Taiwan without applying for another visa (or visa-exempt entry). Just because somebody has residence in Taiwan does not mean they will be allowed to re-enter if they leave the country! In practice, for white collar professionals, investors, JFRV holders, APRCs, etc - the ARC card functions as both, as bigduke6 notes. If you’ve ever filled in a Multi-Purpose Application Form for Foreigners at the NIA, you’ll see that Multiple Re-entry is one of the boxes checked by the immigration staff on application. They are indeed separate permissions with separate laws, although for some foreigners in Taiwan, they are linked through the ARC card.

For foreign laborers 外勞 (I don’t know of any other types, but maybe there are some) however, the ARC card does not function as a Multiple Re-entry Permit, and the applicant must file for a single-use Re-entry permit with 1 month validity.

Another piece of mis-information:

On the off-chance you are outside of Taiwan and forget or lose your ARC, not to worry. Your ARC details will be stored in the Immigration computers at the border crossing, and the agent will verify the visa and stamps in your passport. You will be allowed entry with no problems, and you are expected to report immediately to your local NIA office to apply for a new ARC card. You will need the same documents as you needed to apply for the original, and the validity period will be the same as the original.

Well, then the solution to not losing it is … leave it at home! :smiley:

[quote=“greves”]
On the off-chance you are outside of Taiwan and forget or lose your ARC, not to worry. Your ARC details will be stored in the Immigration computers at the border crossing, and the agent will verify the visa and stamps in your passport. You will be allowed entry with no problems, and you are expected to report immediately to your local NIA office to apply for a new ARC card. You will need the same documents as you needed to apply for the original, and the validity period will be the same as the original.[/quote]

I hold an APRC card and I had ARC before and for long time now there is no visa in your passport if you hold (at least some type) of ARC/APRC, just the stamps of leaving/entering the country which in my case are many. The standard is that they ask for your APRC when entering. So while you might be able to get in it certainly will lead to more trouble at the entry and it is recommended to just hand it over with the passport. It also saves you the time of having to fill out this little entry papers.

On top of that you might have troubles with the airline. They are required to check your visa and entry allowances. Some of them don’t really take it that serious but other airlines do (they are fined if they bring in passengers which are then turned back by customs). So if your passport doesn’t show a visa and you don’t have prove of your visa status the airline might refuse to take you or at least you need to show a return ticket (like when your country is allowed the visa exempt entry stamp thing).

While all of this might be solvable you just save yourself a lot of trouble by simply having your stuff together.

[quote=“mingshah”][quote=“greves”]
On the off-chance you are outside of Taiwan and forget or lose your ARC, not to worry. Your ARC details will be stored in the Immigration computers at the border crossing, and the agent will verify the visa and stamps in your passport. You will be allowed entry with no problems, and you are expected to report immediately to your local NIA office to apply for a new ARC card. You will need the same documents as you needed to apply for the original, and the validity period will be the same as the original.[/quote]

I hold an APRC card and I had ARC before and for long time now there is no visa in your passport if you hold (at least some type) of ARC/APRC, just the stamps of leaving/entering the country which in my case are many. The standard is that they ask for your APRC when entering. So while you might be able to get in it certainly will lead to more trouble at the entry and it is recommended to just hand it over with the passport. It also saves you the time of having to fill out this little entry papers.

On top of that you might have troubles with the airline. They are required to check your visa and entry allowances. Some of them don’t really take it that serious but other airlines do (they are fined if they bring in passengers which are then turned back by customs). So if your passport doesn’t show a visa and you don’t have prove of your visa status the airline might refuse to take you or at least you need to show a return ticket (like when your country is allowed the visa exempt entry stamp thing).

While all of this might be solvable you just save yourself a lot of trouble by simply having your stuff together.[/quote]

This is correct. You’re right that they won’t check a visa if you don’t have one, but they will check the stamps and your info in the computer. You’re also right about the airlines, and I agree that it’s easier to just simply have your stuff together - I was not recommending people to not take their ARC with them, sorry if anybody took that away from my response. Of course, it’s a hassle, and easier to just keep it with you. I was just noting that if you lose your ARC, all hope is not lost and you shouldn’t really have any “problems” apart from going through the process of getting a new ARC, and possibly needing proof of onward journey or funds for the way back to Taiwan.