Multiple Virginity, Barbarian Prince Charmings, and more

This scholarly abstract on Carnegies passed into my inbox today.
Pretty funny stuff, that ought to be shared.

Multiple Virginity, Barbarian Prince Charmings, and Other Contested Realities in Taipei’s Foreign Club Culture

Here’s a quick quote:

“Throughout much of Asia, Westerners represent a dangerous sexualized other and are often blamed for increasing sexual decadence, the rebelliousness of youth, and the breakdown of a larger moral order at home”

“Today Carnegies is known as the foreign club in Taipei. It is also, accurately I think, known as the most aggressive pick up spot in Taiwan—for many, uncomfortably so. It is chronically understaffed, so crowded on ladies night that it is like making one’s way through a subway during rush hour, and full of egotistical Western men with few real job prospects other than teaching English for an hourly wage.”

Ouch!..Thats gonna leave a mark…:smiley:

brass monkey a dance club???

he’s having a laff innit?

How scholarly can this guy be? He forgot the apostrophe in Carnegie’s. :rolleyes:

On my computer here in Lhasa the title at the top of the browser reads “Tibetan Thugs and Multiple Virginity”

Amazing. A freakin’ scholarly article on Carnegies. Not only that, but the guy got not one, but two Fulbright grants, plus other financial assistance, to hit the bars and write about it. I’m in the wrong field.

um, so does mine here in neihu…and there’s some major problem with lines of text overlapping…

it’s not a bad article in some of the theory…but it seems a major leap of faith to base it on carnegies per se…carnegies at night is a sub-culture unto itself…you really can’t extrapolate any conclusions on Taiwanese sexual mores from it…“Today Carnegies is known as the foreign club in Taipei”…this needs to be supported by evidence; known by whom? the media? in my mind its not a club at all…its a restaurant that suffers a “Dusk till Dawn” type zombie takeover at around 10.30 pm on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday :wink:

Did anyone of you meet this specimen? Did he just observe or participate?
His big mistake was not to ask for comments here on Forumosa … his paper is flawed I guess …

Indeed, he is in need of upgrading his html skills … or use one of the better html editors (frontpage, dreamweaver)

um, so does mine here in Neihu…and there’s some major problem with lines of text overlapping…
[/quote]

Really? I thought some communist censorship was going on as I can’t actually connect to most Taiwanese websites here.

I’m surprised that Forumosa isn’t censored out over there … anyways that said …

Well at least they have that right.

I’m guessing that this poor schmuck is one of the ones Bob used to kick out for buying his beers at 7-11 up the road because he’s a cheap pillock. He sure isn’t writing about the Carnegie’s I know and love. :laughing:

Well at least they have that right.[/quote]

I thought that we had strong morals compared with many Taiwanese men …

I’m sure if you look far down enough, you can always find someone with lower morals than a given shmuck. But that doesn’t necessarily mean the shmuck doesn’t lack morals. It just means you’ve found someone even lower down the scale.

Oh dear, F.com should really be reviewing the personals before they’re posted. Ads like this don’t do much for the reputation of Western men:

[quote]AMERICAN SEEK PRETTY GIRL

USA-ROMANCE-Good man 39/163/54 Nurse, tender, no drugs, no alcohol, kind, seek ordinary decent girl obedient nice 18-24yr, 167-175cm, white skin, pretty legs for family creation, prefer Christian, Prefer with painted dyed hair light brown, FOR MARRIAGE PURPOSES. Please send letter with Address, Photo EMAIL qangor@yahoo.com ICQ 163234635 ADDRESS: J. Osor 8300 Sandspoint Drive 1014 HOUSTON, TEXAS 77036 USA[/quote]

Well, is he?

[quote]Marc L. Moskowitz
Assistant Professor
Sociology and Anthropology

Phone 847-735-5255
E-mail moskowitz@lakeforest.edu
Web campus.lakeforest.edu/~moskowitz

Specialization
China Studies
Religion

Education
Ph.D. University of California, San Diego
M.A. University of California, San Diego
B.A. University of California, Santa Cruz

Courses Taught
Freshman Seminar – Aging
Sociology and Anthropology 110: Introduction to Sociology and Anthropology
Sociology and Anthropology 212: Introduction to Chinese Culture and Society
Sociology and Anthropology 215: Japanese Thought and Society
Sociology and Anthropology 261: Cultural Anthropology
Sociology and Anthropology 273: Chinese and Japanese Religion in Practice
Sociology and Anthropology 281: Gender Issues in China and Taiwan
Sociology and Anthropology 302: Sexuality and Society

Books
2001 The Haunting Fetus: Abortion, Sexuality, and the Spirit World in Taiwan. Honolulu, Hawai’i: University of Hawai’i Press.

Invited Talks
11/12/01 Book Talk. Lake Forest College. “The Haunting Fetus: Abortion, Sexuality, and the Spirit World in Taiwan.”

8/15/01 Presentation, Inter-University Program, Taipei, Taiwan: “Transforming Religious Belief: Abortion and the Spiritworld in Taiwan”

9/21/99 Colloquium (Presented in Chinese), National Central University Institute of History, Taiwan: “Taiwan de yingling chongbai” [Fetus-Ghost Worship in Taiwan].

6/25/99 Presentation, Inter-University Program, Taipei, Taiwan: “Fetus-Spirits: Traditional Morality and New Religious Beliefs in Taiwan.”

11/30/98 Colloquium, UCSD Department of Anthropology: “Fetus Ghosts and Fetus Demons: New Religious Practices in Modern Taiwan.”

Other Talks
3/23/01 Panel Presentation, Association of Asian Studies: “Yang Sucking She-Demons: Penetration, Castration Anxiety, and Other Freudian Angst in Modern Chinese Cinema.” Panel: Taiwan Studies Group - Facets of Taiwanse Religion, Society, and Culture.

3/11/00 Panel Presentation, Association of Asian Studies: “Fetus-Ghost Appeasement in Modern Taiwan.” Panel: Ritual and Meaning in Taiwan. Organizer: Marc Moskowitz.

11/19/99 Panel Presentation, American Anthropological Association: “Blood Drinking Fetus-Demons: Greed, Loathing, and Vengeance through Sorcery in Taiwan.” Panel: Religion at the Millenium II: Religion Confronts Commoditization.

12/6/98 Panel Presentation, American Anthropological Association: “The Haunting Fetus: Sexuality, Abortion, and the Spirit World in Taiwan.” Panel: Chinese Religion, Reflections from the Field. Organizer: Marc L. Moskowitz.

Awards and Honors
8/98-8/99 The Chiang Ching-Kuo Foundation for International Scholarly Exchange Fellowship.

7/97-7/98 U.S. Department of Education Center for International Education Fulbright-Hays Award.

7/97-12/98 Center for Chinese Studies Grant. (Unable to accept because it conflicted with other funding).

6/96-6/97 Pacific Cultural Foundation Dissertation Research Subsidy.

9/95-6/96 Inter-University Language Program Partial Tuition Waiver (3 Quarters). Money provided by the R.O.C. Ministry of Education and the Inter-University Language Program.

9/94-8/95 Inter-University Language Program Full Tuition Waiver (4 Quarters). Money provided by the R.O.C. Ministry of Education and the Inter-University Language Program.

6/92-9/92 Department of Education’s Title VI Program Grant. Administered through the University of California, San Diego, to attend Chinese language courses at the Taipei Language Institute in Taipei, Taiwan[/quote]
lakeforest.edu/academics/faculty/moskowit/

maybe he’ll start teaching a new course: CARN 101, introduction to bar-dancing etiquette in Carnegie’s.

“blood drinking fetus demons”?!?..I wasn’t wrong with the Dusk till Dawn reference after all…

Well, is he?

[quote]Marc L. Moskowitz
Assistant Professor
Sociology and Anthropology

Phone 847-735-5255
E-mail moskowitz@lakeforest.edu
Web campus.lakeforest.edu/~moskowitz[/quote][/quote]

Shame on you for ruining a good argument with reality! :bravo:

[quote=“Mark Moskowitz”]Asian sexual objectification of Western men portrays them as physically larger in all the right places, ranging from analogies of Nazi masculinity (Farrer 2002: 32) to stereotypes of African American (Cornyetz 1994: 127; Kelsky 2001; Morris 2004a) and Caucasian American (Brownell 1995: 186) brute strength. In addition, it is believed that Western men lack morals, and are generally (and generically) decadent. The behavioral ethos in Carnegies seemingly confirms these images so that perceived racial differences are naturalized rather than seen as the cultural constructs that they are.[26]

In mass media and daily lives, the Western male is also represented as a foreign barbarian—an unmannered savage who could never hope to learn the Chinese language or proper Chinese etiquette. Though one sees a marked American influence on Taiwan’s media, it also serves to reify racial difference between East and West by portraying Western men as sexually rapacious (Andrews and Shen 2002: 146), destroyers of traditional morality, or depicting them as being closer to beasts than the civilized Taiwanese (Morris 2004a).[/quote]

Those poor, innocent, virginal Taiwanese girls have no chance, obviously… :silenced:

Anyways … scientists lack feeling with the real world … once more proven here …

His book appears to be fairly well-liked.