Murder of Australian woman in Chiayi?

You’d be surprised who is a gangster. Not every “made man” in Taiwan wears untucked silk-print shirts, baggy polyester pants and flip-flops. Some gangsters cultivate an air of sophistication, and yes - part of this is having a western trophy girlfriend. The owner of two popular ShiTa area night-spots [gangster central], is a heavy hitter in the gangs, smokes a pipe, drinks good red wine, drives a BMW, and loves to sleep with white girls. Some girls, who I know that also know him, have given me the impression that knowing him, having sex with him, make them feel cool, and “connected”. Somehow, their attitude always strikes me as naieve.

I was just wondering what happened to this case. Did it just drop from everyone’s radar? Has the Chinese-language press mentioned it? Did the woman’s father ever get his investigation started?
I don’t know if it was foul play, maybe it wasn’t, but hey, what the hell happened? Anybody know?

Original poster- kudos to you on the great topic…expat gangster passion turns fatal; cop coverup creates international row; aussies issue formal protest…

Any enterprising muckrakers in the south looking to drum up some juice and win a pulitzer for our english language newspapers!?

Corruption is definitely a serious problem here in Taiwan. I remember a case a few years ago of a bunch of police getting caught selling the answers to the police academy exam. Cops paying other cops to help them break the rules. Talk about irony. With such upstanding examples like that, it’s a wonder there are even a few decent cops out there. Somehow, it seems all the real law abiding zealot types seem to make their way into the visa section so they can make life tough for foreigners…

I also have a little 2nd hand story on local corruption. I had some expat friends once who used to frequent the video arcades in our area. The owners and part time workers all knew them by name, and eventually they would just go there to hang out in their free time. Well, they were there so much that one night they got invited upstairs with the regulars, who played mahjhong until crazy hours of the night. Anyways, it was during one of those late night games that the owner disclosed how he managed to have gambling and betting machines out in the open in his arcades like it was perfectly legal. Turns out he had to befriend the local police chief. He would take the chief out to a brothel once a month for a little fun, maybe give him a little on the side here and there, and in turn, the cops wouldn’t bother their operations. When I heard that story, it just made me think that maybe that’s just the tip of the iceberg for the stuff that goes on right under our noses here in Taiwan…

It is the tip of de iceberg and that stuff happens in every part of society here including business, entertainment, …etc

And how did Chen Shuibian solve that problem? By cracking down on the cops? Fat chance. Instead he makes it illegal to play video games, because the owners of the arcades might have a couple gambling machines on the side and pay off the cops to turn a blind eye.

Ever see the cops filling out little cards and putting them in special boxes on the exterior wall of buildings? That’s because they cannot be trusted to make regular patrols without being monitored.

Or talk to any owner of a nightclub/disco/pub. They’ll tell you all kinds of stories about cops demanding insurance from being raided, protection fees, etc.

Cops here are either corrupt or incompetent or new on the force. :hand:

A friend in NZ wrote: "I spoke by phone from NZ to a foreign affairs policeman in Chiayi about that killing that took place last year. This guy
was always very loud and laughing, a really nice chap, when I lived there 5 years ago, but… it was the first time I have heard
him serious and wanting to change a subject.

His only comment was that the woman in question was playing with fire hanging around
those
guys and what goes around… Extraordinary …and unacceptable to me. Did anyone ever solve that one?"

Still waiting. The morale is that (1) hanging around with the wrong types is fatal (2) Justice is applied unevenly here. No cops wants to take a da ge in.

Reporters who will report on something like this usually have roots in that country. The reporter is Taiwanese or has family here and doesn’t want them murdered like this poor girl.
I have put this post on nearly every forum for Ex-pats, ESL teachers etc… but it was banned by tealit.com and Daves esl. com, takes a day to clear.
This only confirms, what I have said previously about Tealit.com being politically controlled (government/FAP).
It would be even more benificial for all the Aussies out there to drop a concerned letter or email to their respective MP back home.
A.

They can’t be bothered, full stop. A mate of mine had his arm lopped almost clean off by a dozen peasants armed with cane knives, and despite having the license # of the blue truck they all jumped off, could not get the cops to take any action whatsoever beyond the mumbles of ‘ok, we’ll look into it if you insist’… Like these bozos are connected or something :unamused:

OK, the cops here just plain useless.

…and this was totally unprovoked? Hmmmm…

I didn’t say it was unprovoked. His story was that they were driving by, he was walking up the street minding his own business, they gave him some sort of slagging, he said something back in Taiwanese… he can’t remember what, and then they all jumped off the truck and went after him. The guy is about 50kg dripping wet so whatever he said, it couldn’t have justified a dozen guys trying to hack him to bits.

I find it odd it was open and shut so quickly, even odder her family didn’t raise a stink, both in their home country and here, and with the Taipei rep office. Sadly, had she been the daughter of a diplomat or expat bigwig, someone might have been arrested.

Hmmm. After that young diplomatic-passport-holding dork who was arrested on a stolen motorcycle running around Taipei with his scooterpunk mates, that might not play anymore…
I loved the broken “wo yao ‘sue’ ni men” line he came out with for national TV :unamused:

[quote=“hsiadogah”]Hmmm. After that young diplomatic-passport-holding dork who was arrested on a stolen motorcycle running around Taipei with his scooterpunk mates, that might not play anymore…
I loved the broken “wo yao ‘sue’ ni men” line he came out with for national TV :unamused:[/quote]

Do you have a link for that story by any chance ?

I’m afraid that I don’t remember the source, but apparently her father still has private detectives looking into the matter. Isn’t it sad that Taiwan still lets its affairs be controlled by the mafia and triad? When, really, if everyone stood up to them, they’d likely disappear. They consider themselves so elevated because of the fear that they perpetuate, and they claim “rights” where no one else would dream of doing so. I’m afraid that if they try to stare me down in the 7-11, I do the stupid thing and stare/sneer at them until they stop. But I guess the real headpins aren’t betel boys, are they?

I’m afraid that I don’t remember the source, but apparently her father still has private detectives looking into the matter. Isn’t it sad that Taiwan still lets its affairs be controlled by the mafia and triad? When, really, if everyone stood up to them, they’d likely disappear. They consider themselves so elevated because of the fear that they perpetuate, and they claim “rights” where no one else would dream of doing so. I’m afraid that if they try to stare me down in the 7-11, I do the stupid thing and stare/sneer at them until they stop. But I guess the real headpins aren’t betel boys, are they?[/quote]

No, but they aspire to be. What percentage of Taiwanese youth take gangsterism as its role model, I don’t know, but I have seen plenty of wannabes in my time.

[quote=“hexuan”]
Do you have a link for that story by any chance ?[/quote]

No, but he was the errant offspring of some AIT official, shouldn’t be too hard to dig up. I remember it from TV ‘news’.

nemesis: you said above that when you are in the local 711 in your city, and the local toughs stare at you, you stare them back. PLEASE, for your own safety, do NOT do this anymore.

We do not want to read about you too in the newspapers. Am not joking here. If they stare at you, just pay your bill and take your goodies and get out. Don’t make eye contact with these people. Forget about it. PLEASE listen! Eye contact like can be a fatal mistake. Last year a 17 year old local girl in Kaohsiung was killed by local tuffies for staring back at them at a traffic light stop on her scooter.

(Okay, maybe I am wrong, and then it is better to do what you feel best doing as a woman – it appears you are a woman – to protect yourself. But please, this is not Kansas, and you are not in Kansas anymore. What are you trying to prove?)

Just a couple of weeks ago in Taipei some kiddies put a iron club with inch long spikes into the back of some guy’s head for looking in their direction for a couple of seconds. These guys have no morals, no cajones (never seen a fight that involved less than three on one odds), and no future. Always something to be careful of.