Murder on the MRT

All over the news right now: a drunk with a knife killed 3 people and injured 5 on an MRT train from Longshan Temple to Jiangzicui in Banqiao.
The 20-year-old man was arrested. The 3 victims are a woman aged 47, men aged 20 and 30.
If I remember well, there was a similar incident - but without fatal victims - just a couple of weeks ago.

Fuck, do the reports identify the victims?

16 hurt as per latest, 4th victim hanging by a thread. Panic on the MRT.

Guy is supposedly drunk. Sure.

2 men, one woman. 4th is a child.

No names for the victims yet, but I guess it will take some time before they identify them and find the relatives.
The appledaily.com.tw website has all the gruesome pictures as we expect from them. Mayor Hau is giving a news conference at 18:15.

All that with a box cutter…

appledaily.com.tw/realtimene … 4%E6%93%8A

Fucking brutal!!! Sympathies to the families, and who stabs a fucking kid (let alone anyone for that matter)? That person needs to be shot.

The murderer has been identified as Cheng Chieh (Zheng Jie), 21, a student at Donghai University in Taizhong.

Holly fuck. What do we know about the murder so far?

Are they going to ban alcohol because of this? sounds retarded, but…

No way you can prevent something like this. Zhu Li-lun just said they would tighten security etc. but there is no point in doing so really. The only way to prevent this is to make teachers, parents, etc. more alert and encourage them to report someone who might be planning to kill people. I am just happy that you are not allowed to carry guns in Taiwan. He chose the stretch between Longshan Temple and Jiangzicui, probably because the train doesn’t stop for a while, so no one could escape. Doesn’t look too strong on the footage, so he might have picked the weakest passengers on the train to be able to kill someone. What a piece of shit.

He studied at a military universtity before transferring to Dong Hai in Taichung. According to the news, he apparently alluded to his classmates at university that he was about to do something big, but was vague and staff at the university were already concerned something was amiss…

I thought this was about some murder mystery event but oh jesus, what an awful thing.

In my opinion, alcohol merely removes your restraint. There was probably already something wrong with the guy and when he was drunk, the restraints came off. He should be given the death penalty.

I just read on UDN that his alcohol level was measured a 0.04, so he wasn’t drunk.

In my opinion, alcohol merely removes your restraint. There was probably already something wrong with the guy and when he was drunk, the restraints came off. He should be given the death penalty.[/quote]

The AP report said he was planning to do something big since childhood.

Fucked up individual.

Maybe I’m looking at this from the wrong angle, but it seems to me like a good wake-up call not to bury your head in an e-device while out in public. You never know where or when something like this could happen, and the few seconds it takes to look up from your Facebook page could make all the difference.

You are looking at it from the wrong angle… :wink:

What about napping? Napping on the MRT is even more dangerous.

Which brings me to a completely different question. Surely there has to be someone who filmed the murders with his/her camera. What is he/she going to do with it?

A. Post it on FB.
B. Hand it to the police.
C. Sell it to the media.
D. Delete it (yeah right)

Well, three murders today and one attempted.
One guy murdered his girlfriend in Taichung, another husband and wife murder down south and and attempted murder of a police officer by a drunk guy, plus the murders at the MRT.
With homicide rates at 3.2 per 100,000, Taiwan is way ahead of the UK (1.2) and Canada (1.6) - both perceived as dangerous - and not far behind the US (4.8). I wonder if foreigners will finally get to grips with reality and accept that Taiwan isn’t as safe as the illusion presents.

[quote=“Bernadette”]Well, three murders today and one attempted.
One guy murdered his girlfriend in Taichung, another husband and wife murder down south and and attempted murder of a police officer by a drunk guy, plus the murders at the MRT.
With homicide rates at 3.2 per 100,000, Taiwan is way ahead of the UK (1.2) and Canada (1.6) - both perceived as dangerous - and not far behind the US (4.8). I wonder if foreigners will finally get to grips with reality and accept that Taiwan isn’t as safe as the illusion presents.[/quote]
Maybe when these incidents are reported in the Taiwanese English media a reality check will turn on.
But they seem to think it isn’t relevant for foreigners to know what is really happening in Taiwan.
Are they scared their country will be perceived in a negative way or something?

The ‘incident’ at Guting MRT recently - I had no idea about til today when someone told me. Was that reported in the Taipei Times or China Post?