Musharraf to be impeached

Beautiful.

[quote=“Globe and Mail”]Pakistan’s ruling coalition announced plans Thursday to seek the impeachment of President Pervez Musharraf, alleging the U.S.-backed former general had “eroded the trust of the nation” during his eight years in power.

Despite his unpopularity in Pakistan, Mr. Musharraf has so far resisted calls to step down and insisted he will serve out his current five year term after he was elected in a contentious parliamentary vote in October.

He dominated Pakistan for eight years and became a close U.S. ally after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, but ceded control of the powerful army last year and has been sidelined in government since the coalition parties trounced his allies in parliamentary elections in February.[/quote]
Messy. Potentially explosive. But beautiful all the same.

But he was only helping Bush to spread democracy.

Great news. But I believe he still holds a lot of control over the army, even though he’s no longer supposed to. Things could get very bloody over there.

Ahhh… nearly time to crack open a celebratory brew.

[quote=“NYT”]Faced with desertions by his political supporters and the neutrality of the Pakistani military, President Pervez Musharraf of Pakistan, an important ally of the United States, is expected to resign in the next few days rather than face impeachment charges, Pakistani politicians and Western diplomats said Thursday.

His departure from office is likely to unleash new instability in the country as the two main parties in the civilian government jockey for the division of power.

The details of how Mr. Musharraf would exit, and whether he would be able to stay in Pakistan — apparently his strong preference — or would seek residency abroad were now under discussion, the politicians said.[/quote]

Now, if only the Pakistanis can manage a peace transition.

There’s gonna be a new Musharraf in town.

Impeached isn’t a bad way to go for a Paki PM. His predecessors fared much worse.

HG

So he wants the world to believe he supports democracy yet he is a self appointed president. He’s also suspended the constitution and jailed anyone that has power to challenge his authority. He’s arrogant and it will be difficult to get rid of.

My favorite Musharraf moment was when he said Bhutto’s big mistake was that she stood up.

That was a dumb thing to say, but now once he’s gone what’s to stop the Taliban types that killed her taking power? They seem much better organised and more ruthless than the rest of the opposition. And the ISI will probably back them openly once he goes, just like they did before he stopped them.

Makes you wonder what the US will do about Pakistan’s nukes actually. I can’t see them being too keen on a Taliban like government getting control of them.

If the recent past is any guide it will be something abysmally stupid and misguided and eventually self-defeating.

It’s not up to the US to decide who runs Pakistan. The Taliban is in no position to run Afghanistan let alone Pakistan.

Yes!!

[quote=“NYT”]Facing the threat of impeachment, President Pervez Musharraf announced Monday that he would resign, saying the charges against him were false but that he would step down for the sake of his nation.

“In the future, I put myself to the people of Pakistan to decide about my future and they will do justice,” he said, in a televised address to the country. “I am very satisfied with whatever I could do for this country.”[/quote]

Most dictators claim to be democratically elected nowadays, don’t they? Good riddance.

must be a big peach.

Dahl, anybody?

keep on rockin’ in the free world…

"“It is a victory of democratic forces,” Information Minister Sherry Rehman said. “Today, the shadow of dictatorship that has prevailed for long over this country, that chapter has been closed.”

Unh huh…yeah…riiiiiiiiight.

informqation minister: heads the secret service, the SIS, in that case, doesn’t he? thus in charge of the pro-Taliban sympathisers and traitors in the Pakistan official environment, and therefore responsible for things like tipping off the Taliban to impending US and NATO attacks, one would presume.

interesting times ahead. and all in the name of ‘democracy’. much as i am a fan of democracy, in some cases, it has an outcome that other countries may not be happy with.