Music DVDs

Since these things can be expensive, I thought I’d start a topic sos people can give a heads up on which ones are good or not. I am always tempted to by that Steely Dan DVD (it’s in a mostly light blue cover) but I don’t know what kind of stuff is inside. Is it concert, studio, or just documentary. I know they didn’t really do concerts.

I just got Led Zepplin from Carrefour. It’s pretty awesome, even at almost 1000 dollars. There is over 5 hours of concert footage from 1970 to 1979. Disc one has a 1970 concert that is rocking. I like their early stuff better so this one is my favorite.

I have Roy Orbison Black and White Nights (DD and DTS 5.1 + PCM) and Sarah Brightman La Luna - Live in concert.
Haven’t heard the latter on my surround sound system yet but even over the TV it sounds good.

Usually I order my DVDs from Canada, turns out to be cheaper then buying locally (if you want R1 discs that is).

I just got the Best of Bowie. Consists of 2 DVDs and cost me about $800NT in Guang-Hwa. Next will be he Eurythmics-Greatest Hits. If anyone knows where I can find The Pogues Live at the Town and Country…well, I’d be VERY grateful. :smiley:

dvds.helpfulreviews.com/dvd/B00006SFLG.html
digitallyobsessed.com/showreview.php3?ID=793
movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hv&id=18 … fo&intl=us

[quote=“Rascal”]I have Roy Orbison Black and White Nights (DD and DTS 5.1 + PCM) and Sarah Brightman La Luna - Live in concert.
Haven’t heard the latter on my surround sound system yet but even over the TV it sounds good.

Usually I order my DVDs from Canada, turns out to be cheaper then buying locally (if you want R1 discs that is).[/quote]

Do you order them through the Internet? I didn’t think any place would ship R1 discs overseas. I would prefer R1s. If they would, I would just use Amazon. I’m looking for Jesus Christ Superstar and the Monty Python’s Search for the Holy Grail.

Amazon ships stuff abroad,Rates to Taiwan here. So does Blackstar for your R2 needs.
And when you order from Amazon, make sure Gus gets his cut :smiley: There’s a thread about how to do that somewhere here

I bought a DVD called John Lennon Legend this week and it sucks. I should have done some research. The music is great, but there is very little footage of people actually playing instruments. The videos are fan magazine fluff pieces. I can’t stand to watch it. But at least it is in 5.1 sound so I can play it with the TV off.

Steve Earle and the Dukes - Jerusalem Live
Just an American Boy - Steve Earle doco
Portishead Live in NY
Morcheeba: Braxton to Beijing
Wilco: Trying to Break your Heart

Santana Supernatural
Dark side of the moon
Woodstock
U2 Rattle and Hum
Too many to list…

Bought in Vietnam for under 1US$ each, now that’s a deal. Plane ticket cost money though. If you know anyone that is going, ask them to pick up some DVDs, excellent quality as well. They have some great English Karaoke as well.

I’ve watched: Eagles: hell freezes over
Grateful Dawg (with Jerry Garcia and Dave Grisman)

Both were terrific, especially Grateful Dawg. Prior to watching this dvd, I was never much of a fan of Garcia but this film changed all that. Its got great music which really shows the talent Garcia had.

Just added “Beautiful Energy” to my collection. Can’t test the surround sound but sounds nice via the TV.

And if I was smart enough to be able to read, I wouldn’t have wasted my time looking for it at Costco yesterday. :blush: :fume:
Where’s Carrefour, apart from the one at Tianmu? Is there one in the Hsintien area?

Although not a DVD, I borrowed “Welcome To the Videos” by Guns N Roses. Pretty cool stuff.

And if I was smart enough to be able to read, I wouldn’t have wasted my time looking for it at Costco yesterday. :blush: :fume:
Where’s Carrefour, apart from the one at Tianmu? Is there one in the Hsintien area?[/quote]

Hsichi and Tucheng

Zhong Ho and Hsin Chuang have one as well. Just look in your English telephone directory. Seek and ye shall find.

I saw this one at Sogo and I almost bought it but I ended up getting The Simpsons Fourth season instead. This one is concert footage from 2001, the reviews seem pretty good. I might end up getting it next month if it’s still there.

I picked up the Living with the Past DVD. I like it a lot. It’s just old rockers playing great music.
I was worried that it would be mostly documentary, but it is mostly music. They have talking in between songs and the footage is mostly of two concerts

An Evening with Lou Reed
This one is about an hour long. Recorded in 1983, they start slow but warm up pretty good. I think I got it because it is just a basic rock and roll band with 2 guitars, a bass, and drums. Lou Reed likes to fiddle with his amplifier. The only complaint I have is that because the case was covered by that piece of paper with the Chinese on it, I didn’t see where it said it wasn’t in 5.1 sound. Just stereo but nice.
I’m slowly gathering the consummate old fogies rock concert collection. I have Yes (1976), Bowie (70’s), Zepplin (70’s), Tull (2001), Paul Simon (200?), Pink Floyd (The Wall). Now I need an ELP to top it off.