Musical Teachers

I am an English teacher. I used to be a musician. Regardless of what teachers like, cough, cough, I won’t mention names, say, I think that there really is a place for songs in teaching English.

At this stage I am playing with an idea. Ok, I just thought about it. There must be enough of us out there to make some decent tunes for kids English. Not specifically connected to any system, but useful with any system.

No, I am not talking about Brian Funshine (D.B., you and those killer spiders had better stay the heck out of this thread :wink: )

For you, not spiders…you deserve better than that.

I think swamp trolls would be more appropriate.

Have you got your stage name yet? I have a few suggestions. :laughing:

Why not try something really new and make songs for adults learning English. The only music I know of designed specifically for that purpose is Caroyln Graham’s stuff, which is excellent, but there isn’t nearly enough of it.

What a great idea.

Would people buy it though, I mean, adults are so fussy.

Adults probably need more repetition than kids but are frequently not able to quit comparing, analyzing, judging, scheming, fantasizing… long enough to get enough of it. Music organized around themes or grammatical structures gets around that problem beautifully especially, and here is the great part, if it is actually good music. Carolyn Graham does it with what sound to me like rag time favorites and my adult students gobble it up.

To answer your question though “Would they pay for it?” to be honest not so far in my experience. They’ll pay me to teach it to them but they won’t make the effort to get out and buy their own. Perhaps I should just bring a few to class and sell them.

[quote=“Bassman”]I am an English teacher. I used to be a musician. Regardless of what teachers like, cough, cough, I won’t mention names, say, I think that there really is a place for songs in teaching English.

At this stage I am playing with an idea. Ok, I just thought about it. There must be enough of us out there to make some decent tunes for kids English. Not specifically connected to any system, but useful with any system.

No, I am not talking about Brian Funshine (D.B., you and those killer spiders had better stay the heck out of this thread :wink: )[/quote]

Are you planning to implement your idea only in-house or are you planning to market it to the public?

I have many songs that I wrote for companies such as Disney and CTW and some not under copyright. Many of them instant classics in my opinion. :slight_smile: I only know 6 cords though.

[quote=“Durins Bane”][quote=“Bassman”]I am an English teacher. I used to be a musician. Regardless of what teachers like, cough, cough, I won’t mention names, say, I think that there really is a place for songs in teaching English.

No, I am not talking about Brian Funshine (D.B., you and those killer spiders had better stay the heck out of this thread :wink: )[/quote]

Are you planning to implement your idea only in-house or are you planning to market it to the public?[/quote]

I am thinking of testing it in-house in a small way. Currently I am looking at some books that need something like that and could use something to pair up with without becoming for exclusive use with those particular books. Not everyone likes the same books, but hopefully they’ll be able to use songs with whatever system they are using.

I have listened to some good stuff recently, but it had fluff mixed up with the good stuff.

I DON’T WANT FLUFF!!!

Music and songs don’t have to be fluff, but more often than not they are.

[quote=“Bassman”]

I don’t WANT FLUFF!!!

Music and songs don’t have to be fluff, but more often than not they are.[/quote]

Do you mean like, “Ass kicking Grammar Rock”, type stuff?

[quote=“Durins Bane”][quote=“Bassman”]

I don’t WANT FLUFF!!!

Music and songs don’t have to be fluff, but more often than not they are.[/quote]

Do you mean like, “Ass kicking Grammar Rock”, type stuff?[/quote]

Stuff that will rock your ass kicking grammar. :smiley: Hey, Gram Rock. :sunglasses:

Heck, I’ll sing about role playing games if you like.

I was just trying to get a feel about what kind of genre you are shooting for.

I was just trying to get a feel about what kind of genre you are shooting for.[/quote]

And I was just going for the classic wind up :smiley:

Actually, since you are here now. I respect you and what you do. What, if I had a gun to your head, would you like to teach kids through song? What is it that kids don’t want to review or learn, but could learn well if they could be interested in it?

Grammar sounds interesting.
Phonics would be interesting too (how is the question).
and some other things…

just a ramble…

I was reading over at Dave’s about how people teach grammar with music and basically what it amounted to was finding songs that illustrated the grammar point you are teaching… “Everytime I see your pretty face, I feel like checking my pockets” as an example of an adverb clause, that kind of deal. That seems like an OK idea but I imagine it is pretty difficult to find songs that really emphasize one grammar point without over burdening people with what they would experience as just plain weird language. If someone were to produce something that was actually good fun to listen to with each song intended to hammer home a particular grammar point using everyday vocabulary students would love it. Finding a way to introduce the concept to a mass audience might be tricky though.

Songs are great. I like changing the lyrics around to expand their vocabulary. I bring a guitar and harmonica into class and start singing rhymes in their language. Gets a good laugh. Then I mix English and Korean in the songs. Gives room to create. Just like when I was a kid and we’d start doing funny rhymes making fun of people. I make fun of myself and the students. Especially students that usually make fun of other students. We all get a good laugh. Goes back and forth like that. Gets them to speak.

Forumosa GrammaRocks!

I can’t write music beyond single melody (aka, no harmony beyond maybe M or a M7 chord…like a C-E-G, B-F-G, C-F-A chord progression for Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star in C major) which might be more appropriate for the fluffy genre (no offense, BFM). I am minimally trained in piano, as long as it’s to the tune of “Fur Elise” or “Jingle Bells”. I’d kick ass on the clarinet except a) I don’t have either one of mine in Taiwan (and haven’t played since I graduated from university) and b) it makes it kinda hard to sing with it in my mouth. I can sing, kind of, but it’s better when I am in a chorus of voices (so that my voice can be buried). I can write some lyrics, like this classic on teaching irregular plural nouns…

“I saw one sheep,
digging deep
And soon there were two
Were there two sheeps?
Of course not, silly!
I only saw two sheep.”

Er, perhaps, I’d make a better groupie. :s

I love that!!

I would like to do more singing and as I told Bassman by PM, what I lack in training and experience beyond church choir and work in Taiwan I make up for in ENTHUSIASM. :rainbow:

I’ll get back to this thread in about a week or so after my guitar is unpacked after moving house.

Here’s the second verse, written just for you, BraxtonHicks…

“I saw a child
Playing wild.
And soon there were two.
Were there two childs?
Of course not, silly!
I only saw two kids.”

Wait a minute… Something’s not right about that last line. :ponder:

I’m thinking a simple chord progression between a I chord and a V chord. I tried taking guitar lessons, but then when they told me I’d have to cut my nails real short and have hard fingertips, I quit.

When are the auditions going to be held? I’ve got my tambourine all keyed up. :sunglasses:

[quote=“ImaniOU”]Here’s the second verse, written just for you, BraxtonHicks…

“I saw a child
Playing wild.
And soon there were two.
Were there two childs?
Of course not, silly!
I only saw two kids.”

[/quote]

I like that but gosh, I hope you’re not trying tell me something. Our wildest play is usually at home.

[quote]
I’m thinking a simple chord progression between a I chord and a V chord. I tried taking guitar lessons, but then when they told me I’d have to cut my nails real short and have hard fingertips, I quit. [/quote]

I given up on nice nails. Starting guitar lessons alongside my 8yo this Saturday. Yay!