Musicians: be true to hardware

i’m in love with hardware. always have been, always will be. software does not exist except in the cyber world. you can’t touch it. it exists only inside the human trap that bill gates and steve jobs created. haven’t you all noticed how cool those 24 track hardware recorders are with their blue LEDs? aren’t midi hardware recorders totally cool? don’t hardware synths just rock? in my world they do!

waldorf synth is coming back! i just know it!

What?

He loves hardware. always has, always will. software does not exist except in the cyber world. he can’t touch it. it exists only inside the human trap that bill gates and steve jobs created. he wonders if you all haven’t noticed how cool those 24 track hardware recorders are with their blue LEDs? aren’t midi hardware recorders totally cool? don’t hardware synths just rock? in his world they do!

waldorf synth is coming back! He just knows it!

He loves hardware. always has, always will. software does not exist except in the cyber world. he can’t touch it. it exists only inside the human trap that bill gates and steve jobs created. he wonders if you all haven’t noticed how cool those 24 track hardware recorders are with their blue LEDs? aren’t midi hardware recorders totally cool? don’t hardware synths just rock? in his world they do!

waldorf synth is coming back! He just knows it![/quote]
What?

But hardware, as cool as it can be, is only here to present the ultimate software, which is the music. I said that.

Richardm said that rantherman loves hardware and that he always has and always will love hardware… (ratherman, that is, not richardm. I mean richardm said it… I mean… emmm… rantherman said it first, but then richardm said what rantherman had said) Anyway… richardm then said that rantherman said that software didn’t exist except in the cyber world and that he (rantherman) couldn’t touch it… He also said… I mean richardm also said, that rantherman said that it (software, that is) exists only inside the human trap that bill gates and steve jobs created.

He (rantherman) wonders if you (well, we) all hadn’t noticed how cool those 24 track hardware recorders were with their blue LEDs and asked if we didn’t think that midi hardware recorders were totally cool.

Finally, richardm said that rantherman asked if we didn’t think that hardware synths just rocked, and finally stated… I mean rantherman stated it, and then richardm told us what he (rantherman) stated that in his world they do.

Man… that took FAR too long.

To the mass assembled folk
Great rantheman, he spoke

"Ah, we disparage still
The Tidings of Good Will,
Discrediting hardware now as then!
And with the verbal creed
That software is indeed,
Replacing hardware now, are we not men?

To software so much, so well,
The spirit cannot tell
The range and sweep of her own boundary!
There are no rebrobates
Like evil Jobs and worthless Gates;
Hardware is the tide in God’s eternal sea."

[quote=“Richardm”]To the mass assembled folk
Great rantheman, he spoke

"Ah, we disparage still
The Tidings of Good Will,
Discrediting hardware now as then!
And with the verbal creed
That software is indeed,
Replacing hardware now, are we not men?

To software so much, so well,
The spirit cannot tell
The range and sweep of her own boundary!
There are no rebrobates
Like evil Jobs and worthless Gates;
Hardware is the tide in God’s eternal sea."[/quote]
But ne’er a word of a blue LED.

You’re way too clever for me, Richard!

i’m getting a headache!

There you go Ran, don’t leave a sticky mess. A Cadac J type for ya.

Sorry the LEDs are green, red or yellow.

Blue is for poofs.

there it is limey! a thing of beauty!!

I had the pleasure of touring one of these beasts. Only a 48 way though. Absolutely wonderful sound using Shoepes mics and Meyer MSL.

Wish I could be back on tour again. Alas, off to the buxi ban instead.

L :frowning:

I’m about to come off tour and head back to Taiwan… damn freakin priorities… we have a Neve though :slight_smile:

well guys, i wasn’t exactly talking about such retro giant stuff. i mean digital, but hardware. like alesis 24 HD recorder, real drum machines, etc as opposed to clicking a mouse. putting up with crashes,all that. i realize everything uses proprietary software, but at least the soul has a body.

Hardware sucks. I have everything I need in my Powerbook. :wink:

Ahh ran, you disappoint me. I thought you’d be a purely analogue man. You know, vinyl records and Ampex 456 still sound pretty good :astonished:

Only pulling your chain Ran!

Awol what are you touring with?

I’ve been playing with Garage band (Mac) recently, wow. I’m impressed. I’ve never used a program like this before. It’s so simple to use. The loops sound great. Ran you really should get a demo of this at the Mac shop. It could improve your creatitity. It is so versatile. I spend way too much time messing about with it and not enough time messing with my woman :astonished:

L.

love how ran uses the term “real drum machines” :slight_smile:

Limey - touring with a band or with what gear?

okay, confession: i’m a fruity loops user. and i can use cakewalk like nobody’s business. i got a lot of respect in these parts for my midi editing skills but i just love gear!!! gear that you can touch. hold in your arms and say i love you. i bought you. you are mine!

Awol, sorry, which show or band are you with? And of course I wannna hear about the gear!

Point taken Ran, I’m a bit like that too. I love touchy feely gear. Alas the real world is out there, one with managers, accountants and punters to please, which is why you can’t always get what you want (to quote the Stones :noway:)

Ideally, every tour would have a Midas ( I purchased the very first Heritage 1000!) or Cadac, Meyer loudspeakers and fantasic mics, however the dollar (or pound) is king and at the end of the day money talks (to quote AC/DC)

L :smiley: