Must I be quiet in a bookstore here?

Could we keep the noise down a bit in this forum ? I’m trying to read these posts. If this carries on I might have to slap you all. That’ll make you drop your cigar.

I sometimes wonder why governments give tax-breaks for having children, but not for buying yachts. Aren’t they both wasteful and expensive / contribute to the economy and society (take your pick) at about the same level? Except that less can go wrong with a yacht.

I think the tax laws were made before child labor laws, so back then children might have contributed more to the economy.

A Taiwanese person telling a foreigner to be quiet is perhaps the greatest irony I have ever encountered in my life.

Boss Hogg, they were probably already pissed about something, and your kid saying “Mommy” put them over the edge (not excusing them, but I’ve seen it happen before). Anyway, people like that should do their shopping after midnight when there’s less chance of kids being around. Most of the kids are well behaved and many are help out their parents, like the one I saw a few weeks ago, who was quite small and struggling to get a big carton of milk up and into the cart (eventually made it).

:laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing:[/quote]

Hexuan, reading your posts from the past few days, I would guess that you are a motivational trainer.

And looking at blueface’s avatar, I’m coming up with second rule for bookstores.

1. No loud talking
  2. No skulls smoking cigarettes

Well, I suppose if someone brings an obnoxious child into a bookstore, the other customers can just leave if they want. It’s up to the bookstore’s management to decide whether to eject the parents and offending brat or let bona fide customers walk out in disgust.
But on a plane or train things are different. I take extreme offense at being within earshot of a screaming/pukng/pissing/shitting “little bundle of joy.” I really do think that small children should be restricted to one carriage only on a train or to a special children’s section on an aircraft. I would far rather endure a smoky atmosphere than leave a flight with a splitting headache and the smell of vomit reverberating around my sinuses.
New parents seem to get this holier-than-thou attitude whereby they think bystanders have to suffer their kids’ obnoxious behavior and bodily excretions just because “they were kids too once.”
And back to bookstores … why on earth would you even consider taking a small child to a bookstore? Would you take them to the office with you? To the pub when you are out with buddies drinking? Probably not … so keep the sprog at home and let other people enjoy their lives also.

PS, why is it when a kid has shit or pissed its pants on a train, the parents have to walk it up and down the aisle so everyone gets a whiff?

[quote=“monkey”]Well, I suppose if someone brings an obnoxious child into a bookstore, the other customers can just leave if they want. It’s up to the bookstore’s management to decide whether to eject the parents and offending brat or let bona fide customers walk out in disgust.
But on a plane or train things are different. I take extreme offense at being within earshot of a screaming/pukng/pissing/shitting “little bundle of joy.” I really do think that small children should be restricted to one carriage only on a train or to a special children’s section on an aircraft. I would far rather endure a smoky atmosphere than leave a flight with a splitting headache and the smell of vomit reverberating around my sinuses.
New parents seem to get this holier-than-thou attitude whereby they think bystanders have to suffer their kids’ obnoxious behavior and bodily excretions just because “they were kids too once.”
And back to bookstores … why on earth would you even consider taking a small child to a bookstore? Would you take them to the office with you? To the pub when you are out with buddies drinking? Probably not … so keep the sprog at home and let other people enjoy their lives also.

PS, why is it when a kid has shit or pissed its pants on a train, the parents have to walk it up and down the aisle so everyone gets a whiff?[/quote]

Don’t you think these are issues you should discuss with your parents?

[quote=“Boss Hogg”] Next time I’ll complain when I hear some brain dead dork say “Hey! How are You ?- (not waiting for an answer) I’m fine thank you, how about you.” That is frickin’ noise pollution to my ears.
[/quote]
Don’t you love it when, after ignoring their lame attempts at making fun of the waiguoren with the only English sentences they know, they fall back on random curse words like the every popular, “Hey man fuck you”, as some teenage boys did to me last night?

“Hello!”
(ignoring)
“How are you? I am fine thank you.”
(not responding)
“Hey man.”
(still trying to ignore random strangers walking up on the street practicing bad English on me)
“Fuck you”
giggles with his friends as if it’s the most hilarious thing in the world, pointing at foreigner

And whoever taught Taiwanese teenage boys that, “Fuck your mother” is a witty thing to say? Boys will be boys I guess :unamused:

[quote=“blueface666”][quote=“monkey”]Well, I suppose if someone brings an obnoxious child into a bookstore, the other customers can just leave if they want. It’s up to the bookstore’s management to decide whether to eject the parents and offending brat or let bona fide customers walk out in disgust.

PS, why is it when a kid has shit or pissed its pants on a train, the parents have to walk it up and down the aisle so everyone gets a whiff?[/quote]

Don’t you think these are issues you should discuss with your parents?[/quote]

Actually I’ve been discussing the matter with god, but he assures me that screaming/pukng/pissing/shitting little bundles of joy are the best his R&D team can come up with. Therefore the onus lies upon parents to protect innocent bystanders from their children.

[quote=“mod lang”]“Hello!”
(ignoring)
“How are you? I am fine thank you.”
(not responding)
“Hey man.”
(still trying to ignore random strangers walking up on the street practicing bad English on me)
“Fuck you”
giggles with his friends as if it’s the most hilarious thing in the world, pointing at foreigner
[/quote]
Well, if strangers talking to you really bugs you, I would suggest a polite nod after the first ‘hello’. The kids will probably then giggle and run off. You must be from quite a big city originally; where I’m from I was brought up to smile back if someone said hello to me in the street.
That said, the profanities are a bit out of place. I think you’ll find that a civil response early on will avoid that kind of silliness arising.

Nope. Not from the big city. There’s a difference between saying “Hello” to be friendly and saying “Hello” to point to the cute waiguomonkey. I can tell the difference, especially when it’s accompanied by pointing and sniggering. Do I go up to random Mexicans back in the States and shout, “Hola, amigos! Como esta? Bueno! Muchas gracias! Enchilada! Burrito! Yo quiero Taco Bell?” I mean, unless I’m just going out of my way to get my ass kicked…

“Me cago en la puta de tu madre!” is better. :laughing:

Wee bit different. I know what you mean and I hate it too, but you have to remember how we stick out here. How rare we are. And also that these poor kids are forced to take English from an early age on. I wonder who taught them “fuck you” though!

:unamused:

Harold Ramis? :laughing:

geocities.com/askman415/STRIPES.htm

Indeed, where do they pick up these words? Could it be TV, where nudity is blocked but not English swearing? Come on kids, watch Bad Boyz to learn the full range of modern English cuss words.

I remember teaching the word “vacuum cleaner” to my students a couple years ago. Grade 4 Jessica thought for a second and then said, “Vacumm cleaner, sounds like fuck you cleaner.” The whole class howled with laughter, including me I must admit, and it was impossible from then on after to use the word without everyone giggling.

about the cuss words… A friend who was teaching here found some of his students with a book of racial slurs and cuss words in English.

There’s a book called ‘English as a second fucking language’ that some of my teens showed me. Some of it would have made Derek and Clive blush, but I didn’t look long enough to see if there was any racism there too.