Must you use the cycle lane if there is one?

youtube.com/watch?v=_6e0t8sDevs

Should or must you use the cycle lane if there is one? Especially if the main road is only a two lane without much of a shoulder?

In the UK no. I don’t know about other countries.

No. In Taiwan a bicycle is like a scooter. It can go anywhere scooters are allowed to go. Some bike lanes in Taipei are on the sidewalk. If you’re restricted to ride only in the bike lanes, you’ll inevitably get blocked by pedestrians and often get hated in the process. I only get in the bike lane when the road traffic is too congested or backed up. That’s the beauty of cycling in Taiwan; you can ride on both the road and the sidewalk.

In the UK, cyclists use the bus lane. Fucking idiots. I hate them. And I’m also a cyclist.

In SF there is a “Critical Mass” event the last Friday of every month. Large groups of cyclists ride through parts of SF to demonstrate that cyclists have rights too. Which is all good, until groups of them start riding up the wrong side of the road, and generally breaking laws. It has gone from a good cause to one where cyclists often clash with drivers. A lot of anger is passed around. There have been many incidents.

This current one making the rounds has a cyclist who claims a driver ran into him, he then bashed up the car with a U lock. Now that he is arrested his mom is coming out in his defense (of course).

I have assumed that bicycles do not follow the rules of the road that cars and motorcycles use. So, if there are cars stopped at a traffic light, and I figure it’s safe to proceed, I blithely run the red light right in front of the all the stopped cars.
Uh, that’s ok, right?

In the UK, cyclists use the bus lane. Fucking idiots. I hate them. And I’m also a cyclist.[/quote]

That’s also allowed for almost all bus lanes in the UK, there’s a sign telling you otherwise. Likewise for motorcycles and taxis. In busy UK cities it’s usually the safest option provided you have some sense.

[quote=“tommy525”]In SF there is a “Critical Mass” event the last Friday of every month. Large groups of cyclists ride through parts of SF to demonstrate that cyclists have rights too. Which is all good, until groups of them start riding up the wrong side of the road, and generally breaking laws. It has gone from a good cause to one where cyclists often clash with drivers. A lot of anger is passed around. There have been many incidents.

This current one making the rounds has a cyclist who claims a driver ran into him, he then bashed up the car with a U lock. Now that he is arrested his mom is coming out in his defense (of course).[/quote]

There are critical mass events in most big cities and they often attract a minority of wankers. Any incidents are usual blown out of all proportion by the media.
The bellend helmet-cam hero’s posting their videos of pointless arguments with van drivers on youtube for hits are even more boring.

[quote=“goose egg”]I have assumed that bicycles do not follow the rules of the road that cars and motorcycles use. So, if there are cars stopped at a traffic light, and I figure it’s safe to proceed, I blithely run the red light right in front of the all the stopped cars.
Uh, that’s ok, right?
[/quote]

It’s advised that cyclists follow all rules of scooters in Taiwan. With the exception that cyclist can cycle on the sidewalks/cycle paths. Personally, if I’m on a youbike, I take the cycling path when it’s available and avoid major roads and take the small side streets. When I’m on my road bike, I take as much road as possible and still stay away from major roads and take small side streets. I have a bad record of falls this year (one that resulted in a major injury) and I do not plan on adding to the tally if some motorist decides they want to cut me off and I can’t react in time.

I’m very guilty of running reds at quiet intersections. Just last night we were running them one after the other, I check for on coming traffic, but I still cringe at the idea. Personally, I kind of just go with the flow if I’m in a group, but if I’m by myself, I would most definitely stop at every light regardless of how tiny the intersection is. There’s always a chance a car or scooter will come zooming out of the side street to catch the light at the last second. The ONLY exception I make to the rule is if it’s a 3 way intersection and there’s no on-coming traffic from the right.

Ha, I just watched the video. That’s priory lane. That driver should really know better as half of London cyclist, including myself, access Richmond park via that road, I’d say that’s one or the busiest roads for cyclists outside of central london.

In the UK, cyclists use the bus lane. Fucking idiots. I hate them. And I’m also a cyclist.[/quote]

That’s also allowed for almost all bus lanes in the UK, there’s a sign telling you otherwise. Likewise for motorcycles and taxis. In busy UK cities it’s usually the safest option provided you have some sense.
[/quote]

Of course it’s the safest which is why Brits do anything – because it benefits them and because there’s no rule against it. But it’s so (*&^%ing selfish, making the buses ride behind you so sixty people move at cyclist speed to work in the morning. ‘Sense’ would be to support the environment by staying out of the bus lane instead of prioritizing your own crap over the majority.

Taxis aren’t allowed in bus lanes in my city, for obvious reasons.

[/quote]

Of course it’s the safest which is why Brits do anything – because it benefits them and because there’s no rule against it. But it’s so (*&^%ing selfish, making the buses ride behind you so sixty people move at cyclist speed to work in the morning. ‘Sense’ would be to support the environment by staying out of the bus lane instead of prioritizing your own crap over the majority.

Taxis aren’t allowed in bus lanes in my city, for obvious reasons.[/quote]

At peak traffic times in London I would say that it’s the buses holding up the cyclists actually. Your city may be different but considering more people are commuting by bicycle every year in the UK I don’t see things changing for you. Maybe try cycling to work, it’s quite pleasant.

I did, when I lived in England. I also took the bus.

So … in my city, the bikes are riding in front of the buses like arseholes, and in London, behind like brain donors who want to inhale bus exhaust. Maybe just stay out of the bus lane? ‘But we’re supposed to be in the bus lane!’ Yes. That is because car-peasants want you out of their way.

Middle class Brits are so dumb and subservient.

Maybe you should have just caught an earlier bus. Perhaps a nice cup of tea when you arrive at your destination might help you feel better too.