šŸƒ šŸƒā€ā™€ļø Sports | Trans Athletes

True. A man competing against another man could also get killed, as has happened. :doh:

Weight alone as a classifier will probably be phased out at some point. The whole idea of a competition is, generally, that people like having a reasonable degree of uncertainty and thus suspense. Whatever system they come up with ā€“ density of this or that muscle group in a complex formula with weight and height, and so on ā€“ if it results in matches people enjoy watching, why not give it a try? This kind of change wonā€™t happen overnight of course.

Btw you know there are people who donā€™t like the idea of their daughters (or granddaughters) doing x, y or z, even when boys arenā€™t involved at allā€¦ even something as simple as climbing local trees freaks some people out. But you donā€™t want to be a micro-nanny-state, now, do you? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

There are safeguards for fighters. Itā€™s not a match to the death.

These things happen as kids. As Iā€™ve mentioned, thereā€™s been more than a few notable little league pitchers that are female. Puberty changes things. Even the best female pitchers canā€™t compete once boys hit puberty.

1 Like

Itā€™s never been used alone. Competitors have rankings. Youā€™re not going to put the number 1 fighter with someone random in the same weight class.

One of the beauty of sports is the intangibles. Someone on paper could be the superior athlete, but something we canā€™t measure makes them the better competitor. I just donā€™t see the need to change the current system. If we were missing out on great trans athletes or female athletes, that would be another story. We arenā€™t.

4 Likes

The most dominant athletes I can think of, at least in North America are Jordan, Tiger Woods, and Serena Williams. In terms of their sports, Williams is probably the most dominant at hers.

If she canā€™t even be competitive against a 203 ranked man, what system are we talking about where itā€™s more interesting? You want to put Serena Williams with unranked mens players and see if itā€™s more fun?

The most dominant womenā€™s World Cup team loses to 15 year old boys. Are we going to make them play 13 year old boys of equal ability to make this more interesting?

4 Likes

From what iā€™ve seen discussed, weight is a problem in that people basically cheat by doing extreme weight cuts, then on the day of the fight they have blown up way past the weight limit, to gain an advantage. This should be sorted out, for fairness and for health. But other than that i think weight is a good measure.

You could be tall and skinny or short and stocky and both have great advantages depending on your style of fighting. It doesnā€™t make sense to match people up on being total 1 to 1 matches ā€¦ now iā€™ve read andrews comment and yea, what he said basically.

I donā€™t get it, either. The only way it makes sense is if you believe that there are no real differences between the sexes.

I have to wonder if anybody who thinks females vs males in combat, contact, and collision sports is a good idea, or something weā€™ll see in a dystopian future, has ever participated in any of them.

Itā€™s pretty nutty to think there is no significant difference. Personally I also find it borderline creepy to think that someday these sports will find some way to allow female v male matches. Seems to be nothing more than a gender equity solution in search of a gender equity problem.

3 Likes

This wouldnā€™t benefit women at all. Thereā€™s not going to be mixed teams in the middle tier. Thereā€™s probably not even going to be mixed teams at the bottom if it was coed. If teenage boys can dominate against the most dominant womenā€™s soccer team ever, where is the average woman going to fit into this system?

Let womenā€™s sports thrive on its own merit. I doubt most women would actually support getting rid of the current system.

2 Likes

This. :+1:

1 Like

Womenā€™s sports would thrive so much more if they focused on entertainment rather than being like the men imo.

We saw what the UFC could do with the womanā€™s division by building up the hype of Rhonda Rousey and theyre a relatively new league. Thereā€™s obviously a way for more people to want to watch womenā€™s sports. I will watch womenā€™s tennis but youā€™ll never catch me watching the WNBA. They donā€™t know how to make a entertaining product.

1 Like

Whatā€™s wrong with it? Iā€™m not a basketball fan either way myself, FWIW.

The rim is too damn high. You might not be a basketball fan but I bet you still get pumped up seeing a great dunk.

Every time someone tries to bring this up, WNBA players get really offended. They already use a smaller ball, so idk what the issue is with a lower rim. Womenā€™s golf uses a closer tee box and volleyball a lower net.

And the jerseys are ugly. Even women think so if you ask them. Volleyball, tennis, and golf, all have ā€œcuteā€ outfits.

2 Likes

I never really thought about it, but I actually donā€™t. It seems just kind of like showboating. If itā€™s an effective way of getting 2 points, I get that.

I guess a basketball rim in parks and stuff is a fixed height, and thatā€™s that.

1 Like

Itā€™s kind of the point in a way. A big dunk can really change the momentum in a game like a forced fumble.

Kids play on a lower rim. If there was a effort to change, the womenā€™s game would be more fun imo.

1 Like

But a forced fumble you have accomplished something. The dunk is only two points the same as any other two points. What do I know though. Iā€™m sure there are many things about basketball I donā€™t understand lol. I liked playing as a kid though.

1 Like

Also itā€™s not just dunks. The big thing is it opens up a bigger pool of talent from a younger age. Thereā€™s a lot of girls that quit playing or donā€™t play because they just arenā€™t big enough or strong enough to make a shot with a 10 foot rim.

Many of these girls are smaller but very fast and agile. They just arenā€™t big, strong, or tall. They can dribble, pass, play defense. But they canā€™t make any shots which ruins the game for them. Womenā€™s basketball miss out on a lot of great athletes because of the 10 foot rim.

2 Likes

True, but (Iā€™m being facetious) lowering the rim would definitely make the MtF players stand out (despite their obvious lack of physiological advantages) and would likely cause the gender equity in sports movement to lose face.

On a more serious note, when I were a young 20s hooligan type, we used to gather on winter Saturday afternoons to play a loose approximation of basketball called dunk ball. It was on a 9ft rim and power dunking was the name of the game. Less legit basketball, more full contact dunk ball, though.

Loose rules and loose teeth.

1 Like

Yeah. And in the pool with pool basketball. You could glide in the air like mike in the pool for crazy dunks.

Height is too big of a factor with a 10 foot rim for women. Thereā€™s just not that many women over 6 feet tall. I think the game would be more competitive if shorter women with the athletic ability to play were able to play with a 9 foot rim.

2 Likes

Why attack womenā€™s sports?

What do you mean?