My 3 day battle with the viruses - I won!

[quote=“answerer”][quote=“sticks of fury”][quote=“Mark Nagel”]
Maybe you were thinking about the program that lets you choose which progams start running when you boot up. That’s “msconfig”, and you need to go to Start -> Run for that because it’s a DOS program.[/quote]

Yup that’s the one and you are right. It doesn’t work on win2000.[/quote]

Copy the msconfig.exe from a Windows XP computer and you can run it on a 2000 computer. No clue why it was left out…[/quote]
Left out my arse. It’s there - it worked on mine and on Bu Lai En’s without any copying or anything.

And Rascal - the viruses that target AVG (and other antivirus programs) have to be resident before they can target them. If you’ve got your AV working already and on startup, then they don’t get the chance to infect the computer to start with, but if they’re already there when you install, then you’ll have issues.

[quote=“Tetsuo”]Left out my arse. It’s there - it worked on mine and on Bu Lai En’s without any copying or anything.

And Rascal - the viruses that target AVG (and other antivirus programs) have to be resident before they can target them. If you’ve got your AV working already and on startup, then they don’t get the chance to infect the computer to start with, but if they’re already there when you install, then you’ll have issues.[/quote]

Strange…it’s not on my Win2K Pro from IBM… and it’s not on all the other Win2K computers I’ve seen either…

Also, if your antivirus doesn’t catch the virus, and your computer gets infected, AVG might run but not work properly. I’ve seen recent viruses do that to PCCillin and Norton/Symantec Antivirus.

So how do you delete the registry keys?

Brian

One virus that I got via Kazaa kept rebooting my system each time I tried to run Norton

Might seem obvious but it is well worth the money to buy a legal copy of Windows and a Virus scanner (with a firewall). Pirated copies don’t give you updates.

Else buy a MAC

To run Registry Editor ( in W2K have no idea how XP works)
go to
Start - Run and type regedit

You can delete registry keys from here. Careful what you delete.
Check on the Norton Website to see does your version of Norton remove the keys ( I have seen a couple of times where people have removed the keys manually, once they recognize the appropriate keys and their location)

The worst problem I’ve had on my computer was the “isearch” redirect worm that kept interfering with my internet use. Learned that this one hooked into my system 32 file, replicated itself, and presto, no internet. :fume:

Run “regedit” and look at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUN\ key. If you seen unfamiliar stuff, check the file dates on the file and figure out if it’s recent. If it is, there’s a good chance that it’s a virus.

You can check processes here:

liutilities.com/products/win … rary/smss/

[quote=“Alleycat”]You can check processes here:

liutilities.com/products/win … rary/smss/[/quote]

Handy page to have. I thought for sure lsass.exe was a trojan or virus.
Thanks.

OK, yeah, he’s got long hair…that’s OK!
Black Viper’s site has all you need to know about system processes.
Make sure you read everything he says closely. System processes are vital!
blackviper.com/
For Windows XP Users you should look here
blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm