My bad back

I’ve been using a foam matress for the past several months. I’m now a big believer.

I think people used to believe hard mattresses were good for your back. There’s many different ideas of good backcare mattresses. I’ve tried a few. I now like foam.

When I’ve slept somewhere else and felt a lot better. I realize it’s because I’m traveling and moving around more. Plus I’m sleeping in a different mattress. It could hurt after a while. But for the moment, it could be taking pressure off the normal areas, and placing pressure in new ones that don’t hurt yet.

Anything will be bad eventually. I’ve started to believe that. Like I went through many backcare chairs. I settled on the Herman Miller Aeron but I haven’t tried others.

The best thing I think is to move as much as you can. Any position where you’re not moving is gonna put strain somewhere.

[quote=“gary”]When I’ve slept somewhere else and felt a lot better. I realize it’s because I’m traveling and moving around more. Plus I’m sleeping in a different mattress. It could hurt after a while. But for the moment, it could be taking pressure off the normal areas, and placing pressure in new ones that don’t hurt yet.

Anything will be bad eventually. I’ve started to believe that. Like I went through many backcare chairs. I settled on the Herman Miller Aeron but I haven’t tried others.

The best thing I think is to move as much as you can. Any position where you’re not moving is gonna put strain somewhere.[/quote]

Good point. I’ve also noticed that when I stand for too long (teaching) or sit for too long (watching TV) then my back also aches. Trying to stretch more and move around more.

I also have back problems :frowning:

I have found that when I do a lot of riding in the hills, my back aches/clicks more. This will be because the muscles tighten up. I’ve just had a few days off the bike and just swimming and I feel a bit better.

The best exercise, as I discovered last year, is kicking-use a board, kick lengths in the pool. I usually do 500m to 1km, quite quick. It strengthens the back and abs, lengthens and balances all the muscles, and relaxes the back too. Please try. If you need to discuss this, just ask.

About the Sprinboks? Well, as an All Black supporter, gotta say “Springboks, bunch of fatties and poseurs”. Hehe…but seriously, they’re tough bastards, gotta respect them…best of luck for the 3N!

swiming is great. I need to do more too.

The bike problem, Kea, could be a mal-adjusted bike. The best bike shops have a machine full adjustable bike machine to take your measurements. Then they know what bike frame, seat high, bar height, and i forget the bottom bracket thing whatever it’s called is for you.

The seat is important too. I’ve gotten bikes before and just asked people and they say what’s good for me. But i’ve gone to good bike shops back in california where I’m spending $1000+ on a bike.

You may be able to figure it out on your own. Read up about it.

Me, I’m doing more walking and yoga. I have no teacher except my Iyengar book and feeling what’s right. I do different things and combine what I need to straighten things out. I’m still figuring it out.

But it’s getting better. After 6+ years of pain, I’m slowing improving each week if I really try. But if I don’t move, like I’m sitting at my computer for hours, it gets bad.

I may join a gym soon. Or just find a swimming pool. I want to do at least the swimming for sure.

[quote=“gary”]swiming is great. I need to do more too.

The bike problem, Kea, could be a mal-adjusted bike. The best bike shops have a machine full adjustable bike machine to take your measurements. Then they know what bike frame, seat high, bar height, and I forget the bottom bracket thing whatever it’s called is for you.

The seat is important too. I’ve gotten bikes before and just asked people and they say what’s good for me. But I’ve gone to good bike shops back in California where I’m spending $1000+ on a bike.

You may be able to figure it out on your own. Read up about it.

Me, I’m doing more walking and yoga. I have no teacher except my Iyengar book and feeling what’s right. I do different things and combine what I need to straighten things out. I’m still figuring it out.

But it’s getting better. After 6+ years of pain, I’m slowing improving each week if I really try. But if I don’t move, like I’m sitting at my computer for hours, it gets bad.

I may join a gym soon. Or just find a swimming pool. I want to do at least the swimming for sure.[/quote]

Look, until you know what is wrong with your back, swimming is the best thing you can do. Yoga and biking for me would only exacerbate the problem.

Get examined first.

peace

I should get examined. I’ve gone to chiros before. Maybe it’s time again.

jd, where are your back problems. think hunching over handle bars could increase upper back (i forget, traps? or are the middle muscles between the shoulder blades called something else?).

lower back?

for me it’s my entire back and neck. It’s gotten that bad. But I’m starting to learn which Yoga moves to start with. I slouch and curve my upper back towards my keyboard. I know what my nec is doing. And I know which yoga moves will help to make those muscles go in the opposite direction.

ah, I just need to do something more. I’ve been walking a lot this week, taking time outs, doing happy stuff. Meeting cool people, being chill in the city.

Different brain chemical balance. Different cortisol levels. It’s all good in the hood.

Yes, happiness helps. less stress, less tenseness.

[quote=“gary”]I should get examined. I’ve gone to chiros before. Maybe it’s time again.

jd, where are your back problems. think hunching over handle bars could increase upper back (I forget, traps? or are the middle muscles between the shoulder blades called something else?).

lower back?

for me it’s my entire back and neck. It’s gotten that bad. But I’m starting to learn which Yoga moves to start with. I slouch and curve my upper back towards my keyboard. I know what my nec is doing. And I know which yoga moves will help to make those muscles go in the opposite direction.

ah, I just need to do something more. I’ve been walking a lot this week, taking time outs, doing happy stuff. Meeting cool people, being chill in the city.

Different brain chemical balance. Different cortisol levels. It’s all good in the hood.

Yes, happiness helps. less stress, less tenseness.[/quote]

I dont have back problems per se…I have an autoimmune disease that attacks my muscles and tendons…backs and heels mostly…it’s a bitch…

thats why i say, get it checked out first…for 15 years i had a bad back…but it wasn’t…it was anklyosing spondilitus…grrr

good tip jd, I’m glad you’re better.

I’ve sometimes thought if something else is happening. I’ve wonder what’s happening to my spine.

I skimmed a page about AS. I’m very willing to believe there’s an immune system problem for me too. I’ve been smoking and drinking for too long. Had too much stress the past few years. A chinese doctor says my liver condition is very serious and I need to check it out. and I have constant blood shot and yellow eyes, have for a long long time. the yellow i think might have just developed in the last year.

so eh I need to listen. I also know my overall brain state is a lot different than it used to be. So much change has happened I haven’t had the time to process or figure it out. Ah I need to read more about this. Or just see someone.

thanks for reminding me jd!

[quote=“gary”]swiming is great. I need to do more too.

The bike problem, Kea, could be a mal-adjusted bike. The best bike shops have a machine full adjustable bike machine to take your measurements. Then they know what bike frame, seat high, bar height, and I forget the bottom bracket thing whatever it’s called is for you.
[/quote]

Thanks, I will research it (I have a very comfortably set up mountainbike), but I think the main problem with the riding is that I exert myself so hard, and the posture of riding automatically strains the back.

Now, about swimming…

I just want to emphasize that my main point was kicking, using a board, doing lengths. It’s really one of the best exercises apart from pilates/yoga/stretching.

for more, I started another thread…
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 643#339643

Thanks Kea.

I can believe kicking works very well. I know enough about the body now to understand if you’re using muscles in a particular way, the thing to do is use the other muscles than have have become strained because of it.

yoga
pilates
reflexology.
relaxation
visualization
breathing (pranayama is it called in yoga?)

but finding a teacher to get to your problem or figuring out the exact things to do takes practice.

[quote=“gary”]good tip jd, I’m glad you’re better.

I’ve sometimes thought if something else is happening. I’ve wonder what’s happening to my spine.

I skimmed a page about AS. I’m very willing to believe there’s an immune system problem for me too. I’ve been smoking and drinking for too long. Had too much stress the past few years. A Chinese doctor says my liver condition is very serious and I need to check it out. and I have constant blood shot and yellow eyes, have for a long long time. the yellow I think might have just developed in the last year.

so eh I need to listen. I also know my overall brain state is a lot different than it used to be. So much change has happened I haven’t had the time to process or figure it out. Ah I need to read more about this. Or just see someone.

thanks for reminding me jd![/quote]

hey the AS test is just a blood test. get it done. no big deal

:slight_smile:

peace