My Car's Making a Funny Noise

It sounds like I ran over a plastic crate and am dragging it down the street, but I am not. Other times it makes high pitched whining noises. I’m taking it to the shop tomorrow. I just can’t figure out what it could be.

Did u let your wife out of the trunk yet?

:laughing: That was funny Gumper.

Clutch related? if it’s a manual does the sound vary when you change gear?

It’s automatic and I know it’s not my wife because she was the one telling me how much it was all my fault all the way home.

Are you sure you didn’t inadvertantly run over a scooter and rider(s)? That could explain the plastic crate dragging noise. The high pitched whining could be the trapped rider(s)…

Well, that explains the high-pitched whiny noise.

Just kidding. I am sure your wife is lovely. :wink:

Front or back noise? Could be a farked wheel bearing.

That sounds expensive. I looked underneath but didn’t see anything amiss. It was dark. Anyway, I’ll find out tomorrow.

Wheel bearings are a cheap fix. Should be < 1000NT for parts, and a few hrs labor. If it’s trans or diff then you need to start worrying.

I thought Scotty warned you about this, several times in fact!!! :fume:

Does it do it when you are stopped? My guess is one of the fan belts are loose or the fan itself is scraping the plastic shroud that contains it.

Tell us what it was when you find out. Hao bu hao?

Did you change the elastic band etc etc.

Oh, I have had my car making funny noises as well.

The fan noise, yes, got that fixed that very evening. Every time the aircon went on, it would make a noise like a scooder being dragged along. I think that was NT$1.5k as I used a second hand replacement part.

Wheel bearings… I have one sounding like someone shaking a cheap necklace, where my mechanic doesn’t think it will break down right away. He wants to charge antoher NT$1.5k for that too, when I get him talked into fixing it.

Then I have this one, I think it’s the steering box, but yet again I need some advice… The front of the car makes some noises sounding like soneone sitting in an old dried out leather chair, when I drive on a bumpy road or I turn, especially right.

Help me!!!

nobody apart from Ironman, Surf, MJB, Wookie, and Maoman complains, and none apart from them think I should junk the car, which I refuse to do, as it drives ok otherwise.

Damn! :laughing:

It was the hand brake.

I put the car in Tuesday morning. They don’t speak English so I told them to fix it and also fix the air conditioner. (I said tape player instead, I always get those mixed up.) Then I had the Mrs. call them to make sure everything got understood.
Do to PMS, I had to lay low for a few days and dared not bring the subject up. I picked the car up Saturday, but I can’t read the bill. But it’s quiet now and the AC works and they changed the oil too.

how old is the car, wheel bearing is a bit doubtful, it’s reasonable to expect to replace bearing on bikes, but not on cars, they last for quite a while before you need to replace, if ever.

how old is the car, wheel bearing is a bit doubtful, it’s reasonable to expect to replace bearing on bikes, but not on cars, they last for quite a while before you need to replace, if ever.[/quote]
They eventually do wear out. I replaced 2 on a 10 year old BMW when the noise got put of hand, good quality SKF ones too.
A friend of mine was killed when a rear wheel bearing failed in his hot rod, siezing the wheel and sending the vehicle into a fence at 100mph. Fortunately it was instant.

supposed to release the parking brake BEFORE you drive it. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: