My cocktail blog: The Boo Lion

I’ve heard that, too, but I enjoy it more than what I’m slogging down now.

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]I forgot about the Ron Zacapa…

I believe it’s not actually a blend of different rums, as such, but of different years…[/quote]
That’s the stuff. I did a quick search and I think it’s called the Solera method.

SR -

One of my favorite rums.

On Jamaica they have a soft drink name TING.

Mix it with Appletons rum and you get a 'vanilla" tasting drink that is excellent.

Many the afternoons drinking these ‘sundowners’ at Ricks in Negril… :sunglasses:[/quote]
That’s quite possible. I think it would make a good rum for mixing.

Well said on the Barbancourt! Best rum in the world in my book.

It is a little different to other agricoles though. I think this is mainly because it is distilled to a higher proof. So while it has that grassy taste, it is much more restrained (higher proof means more alcohol and less ‘other stuff’, where some of that ‘other stuff’ is actually flavor).

Great rum anyway.

I don’t mind the Saint James though. It’s not the best agricole out there, but it’s more than adequate.

[quote=“Kiwi”]
I don’t mind the Saint James though. It’s not the best agricole out there, but it’s more than adequate.[/quote]

It’s got a very strong flavor I don’t care for. Not sure how to describe it. Almost a kaoliang flavor.

Pretty good just before though poured over the pina colada sorbet my daughter made today :lick:

By the way, Green Chartreuse now available at Breeze Super.

It is? Just after I brought Green and Yellow in from NZ. Well, it’s still good news.

Actually, I think I found another place that has Chartreuse. Have yet to go there, though.

Thanks for the info.

What I really want is somewhere to by some Rye.

i just saw some Spanish sangria in carrefoure, b. :lick:

They’ve got a few Sangria’s. I tried one, and it was fine. Good for the price really,I guess, but I think it’s probably a lot more fun making your own. I aim to do so as soon as the weather gets nicer.

I’d be open for sugegstions as to what wine to use for some nice Sangria.

I bought some Havana Club Añejo Especial in Save and Safe in Dali (大里) today for 500TWD. It’s pretty good. Sweet. Smooth. I think I like it better than my La Tondena from the Philippines, and it’s less than 100TWD more. Unfortunately, that’s the only Havana Club rum they had. I’d like to get my hands on that 7-year-old stuff if they have it.

I went to Drinks in Taichung on Wen Xin Rd, but they didn’t have much for rum, just Bacardi and another one that was cheap and looked suspect.

[quote=“SlowRain”]I bought some Havana Club Añejo Especial in Save and Safe in Dali (大里) today for 500TWD. It’s pretty good. Sweet. Smooth. I think I like it better than my La Tondena from the Philippines, and it’s less than 100TWD more. Unfortunately, that’s the only Havana Club rum they had. I’d like to get my hands on that 7-year-old stuff if they have it.

I went to Drinks in Taichung on Wen Xin Rd, but they didn’t have much for rum, just Bacardi and another one that was cheap and looked suspect.[/quote]

Snap. I bought that bottle today too, but I haven’t actually tried it yet. I saw it at RT Mart for the same price, 500NT, and realised it was 200NT cheaper than at Breeze supermarket, so just bought it. If you’re up in Taipei, Breeze has both the Havana Club Blanco (great for mojitos and the like) and the 7 Year (which I haven’t tried).

I agree about drinks. I think, aside from Bacardi, their rums look very dodgy (I mean even worse than the Bacardi).

Saw they had some interesting looking tequilas at the carrefour. Not my cup of tea though!

That one called 1812 or 1840 or something is pretty nice. A bit dear, but for that price (about 1200NT), good value I think, considering ‘premium’ tequilas usually cost closer to 2000NT.

A still think the Lunazel from Drinks is good tequila. Not super-premium, but better than most of the rubbish you see. (I can only speak for the Reposado which I bought, and the Anejo which I tried - haven’t tasted the Blanco).

SR -

One of my favorite rums.[/quote]
While I still don’t like it for sipping, this rum goes very nicely with Coke. I think that’s where it probably really shines.

Bu Lai En, or anyone else for that matter, what is a simple-yet-tasty cocktail I can make with this rum using local, common, easy to find ingredients? I’m not looking to build a cocktail bar, just a few things from the market that would go well with this rum.

SR -

One of my favorite rums.[/quote]
While I still don’t like it for sipping, this rum goes very nicely with Coke. I think that’s where it probably really shines.

Bu Lai En, or anyone else for that matter, what is a simple-yet-tasty cocktail I can make with this rum using local, common, easy to find ingredients? I’m not looking to build a cocktail bar, just a few things from the market that would go well with this rum.[/quote]

Well, I don’t know the Appleton, but with dark rums in general:

I love a rum and tonic. As easy as it sounds, but squeeze in a lime wedge.

The Cuba Libre makes a dull old rum and coke cower in comparison. 2oz rum, 1oz lime juice (or so) and 1/2 oz of gin (optional, but a really good touch). Stir in a tall glass with crushed ice and just top up with coke.

You could also try some Navy Highballs. Probably not quite the right kind of rum, but it wouldn’t hurt.

Brian

Lime, ginger ale, and gold rum is quite nice… garnish with some thinly sliced ginger for an extra kick.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“Bu Lai En”]

Thanks for reading it. I just dont think the ‘wuzi ningmeng’ are really limes. They’re closer, but they’re not, are they? Or I have I tried the wrong kind?[/quote]

They seem limey (no offense hehe) enough to me. Thin skin, green flesh, no seeds (hence name,) lime flavor. They work well enough when I make Thai food :idunno:[/quote]

We just got some ‘wuzi ningmeng’ in, and they smell limier than lemons, have thin skin, and a very green interior. I think maybe at least some of the wuzi ningmeng sold here are limes.

[quote=“Dragonbones”][quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“Bu Lai En”]

Thanks for reading it. I just dont think the ‘wuzi ningmeng’ are really limes. They’re closer, but they’re not, are they? Or I have I tried the wrong kind?[/quote]

They seem limey (no offense hehe) enough to me. Thin skin, green flesh, no seeds (hence name,) lime flavor. They work well enough when I make Thai food :idunno:[/quote]

We just got some ‘wuzi ningmeng’ in, and they smell limier than lemons, have thin skin, and a very green interior. I think maybe at least some of the wuzi ningmeng sold here are limes.[/quote]

No. You are absolutely right and I take back everything I said about limes earlier. After extensive investigation I’m sure they are 100% bona fide limes. I must have just got some plain lemons passing themselves off as wuzi lemons ages ago and formed a wrong opinion form there. I use the real deal wuzi ningmeng limes all the time.

It’s Lion vs Hornet on July 14, so come down to Xindian and see me mix up a few things (or get a few things mixed up) on my first attempt at bar-tending.

theboolion.wordpress.com/2012/06 … der-night/

Just to mention rum again. I’ve noticed a few more brands recently in Taichung. Some liquor stores now have the Angostura white, Angostura 5-year-old, and Angostura 1919. I’ve also seen Bundaberg Original and Ron Brugal Anejo, in addition to the Ron Zacapa 15 and Bacardi 8. But I’m still hunting around for the illusive Havana Club 7-year-old in Taichung.

I haven’t tried that myself yet. It and the Ron Zacapa are both somewhere near the top of the list. I want to try the Ron Brugal too. I wasn’t too taken with the couple of Angosturas I tried, but some people like them.

There’s a few ultra-(or possibly ultra-ultra) premium rum ranges available now at Breeze (and maybe here and there elsewhere). Dictador, Plantation and Rum Nation are all rum ‘blenders’. They take Carribean rums and blend and age them. I’ve tasted rums from the first too, and they’re delicious. The Dictador and Rum Nation rangees have prices ranging from about 2000-5000NT a bottle though, which is a bit ridiculous.

Edit: Actually, not sure if was Plantation. Something elase, maybe.